1989 Sunrader Interior Restoration

buick

New to forum, have '87 18 ft Sunrader

Hi guys, gals, Impressive work!!

Will send some pics soon of my '87 18 ft Sunrader, bought new as a half (3/4 th's?) empty shell in 88 and customized the balance.

My impression of damage from my own water leaks over the years, at least in my case, was that it didn't affect the flooring near the walls as the floor was really well glassed to the walls. Ended up fiberglassing (mat. cloth) the entire floor, section by section, over the last year. Pulled out my (custom) bathroom cabinet and just finished glassing/restoring the wall & floor behind and under that. A friend who is a cabinet maker will finish a replacement cabinet next week.

BTW, there's some info on the web re: wood rot that led me to believe brushing on propylene glycol, AKA earth-friendly coolant, will kill the wood rot spores in case the humidity ever rises again. So I sand the suspect wood, brush on coolant, soak in, dry, etc, before "sealing" in, whether with epoxy or fiberglass... (You can use regular coolant, ethylene glycol - toxic - as well but if you spray it on be carefull not to breathe vapors).

"Dry bath"/separate toilet-shower: Built a "false floor" over the wheel well, mounted a marine-type toilet (Jabsco I think) w/2 stage pump & macerator in base, the outlet hose goes behind a fake wall, thru floor into an added tank, under left rear corner of rig.

Putting in a lot of time, sore muscles sanding and glassing and sanding and glassing and coughing and sneezing, so I'm not smart but too anal... I figure it'll be 100% waterproof for the NEXT 20 years.

BTW, I full time out of this rig. Tankless hot water heater, roof air, blah blah.

Anybody know if the "Swoosh" decals and stripes are still made? After Gardner-Pacific folded decades ago, I remember one of their production guys by the name of Dean took over their phone for his own RV biz. He'd referred me to the company that made them, but I used up what I bought and can't remember where I got the decals.

this is too much work!

cheers,

daddytiger

Anybody know if the "Swoosh" decals and stripes are still made? After Gardner-Pacific folded decades ago, I remember one of their production guys by the name of Dean took over their phone for his own RV biz. He'd referred me to the company that made them, but I used up what I bought and can't remember where I got the decals.

Tika had them refabricated/reproduced. They look as good as the original ones

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showuser=4

I am VERY happy with my V6 shorty. Once I get the diff re-geared I will be even happier.

Howdy buick.

Really nice looking job. You inspire me to get out there and get at it.

Nahhhh- it's 25 degrees Farenheit out there.

Think I'll take a nap instead.

Buick: Fantastic job!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/bui...er/SDC10452.jpg

Looks like a shot from inside the Starship Toyotaprise.

I remember building a trailer in north Dakota during the winter...

It was around 20 below, sometimes close to 30 below, and I could not stay outside more than an hour at a time, no matter HOW I was dressed. I had to go inside and warm up *slowly* in water to get the feeling back *everywhere*.

I remember it got to be up to 18 degress outside, (No kidding) and I was outside in a t-shirt and jeans, and I remember saying to myself "Man, it is finally warming up!"

Edited by Tundrawolf

• 2 months later...

Its almost done, but I havent used it in over a year! I think I'm going to go ahead and part with it. The reason I would keep it is in case I loose my job and my house! I am finishing up the entertainment system (dvd player, amp, 2 sets of component speakers and a sub woofer for those longer trips.

• 8 months later...

:ThumbUp: Hey Guys - New SR Owner (nissage - sorry - don't kick me out - I do have an 88 FJ62 LC I've owned for 16 years - couldnt find a toyo I could afford so went nissan 22')

Guy I'm buying ti from already gutted the back. GREAT reno job someone on here did. Hoping to get more input from other and have a couple questions.

One guy used a laminate wood and it looks Great - what about weight?

Mine is gutted all the way back to the fiberglass.

How do I attach the 'studs' back the the fiberglass without drilling it ? Monkey Glue? Consstruction cement?

How do I do the headliner?

Going to pick it up this weekend. Fly from MN to NC w my son and a friend who is a mechanic. Drive it home (I hope). NC -> WV -> KY -- > MO --> Iowa --> then MN . I call it an Adventure. My son age 17 (I adopted him 2 years ago from MN foster care - he lived 12 years in foster care) just rolls his eyes - 'great - another project' he says.

Wish me luck. Can't wait to get it and get started.

Randy randy55410@yahoo.com send me files, pics if you have any from your rehab

post-2871-1248372064_thumb.jpg

post-2871-1248372081_thumb.jpg

post-2871-1248372104_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Buick, I just joined...GREAT JOB on your renovation, I wouldn't even have the guts to start something like that! I am wondering how you did the paint? Did you have to rip off any of the wallpaper, or just apply a primer over it? What brands and products did you use to get such a nice painted look on the ceiling etc? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Buick, I just joined...GREAT JOB on your renovation, I wouldn't even have the guts to start something like that! I am wondering how you did the paint? Did you have to rip off any of the wallpaper, or just apply a primer over it? What brands and products did you use to get such a nice painted look on the ceiling etc? Thanks!

I actually scuffed up the wallpaper and then used 3m spray glue and the indoor outdoor carpet from Lowes (54 cents a linear foot, very light). It really helped to make the rader quiet while driving. I sold her a while ago. I used the same carpet in the closet, overhead cabinets, entry way, cab carpet, and door panels. Its really good stuff. I spent about 1.5 years on her.

Nice Job!

I just finished the interior restoration on my '86 Sunrader. I removed the hinged cabinet doors on top (since I had to bend my head out of the way every time I opened them) and put in sliding doors. I used 1/4" luan, painted them with oil based primer and then rolled them dark green high gloss Rustoleum. Got plastic tracks for the sliding doors at TAP Plastics. On the cabinets I used the same oil based primer and then painted them white with a scuff resistant white paint. Can wipe it clean whenever it gets dirty or gets scuff marks. Did the same with the refrigerator insert. Seems to hold up pretty well. Also rebuilt a cabine over the rear window with sliding doors.

Bernard

• 1 month later...

Did you finally sell this camper? And any plans on doing it all over again with another?

Laminate flooring makes for a fun looking cabinet face, love it. I like the look of all the different sections and grains. Looks very clean and easy to maintain when it gets dirty. Not too crazy about all the metal trim especially that one sharp looking corner on the kitchen countertop, but the corners are never going to get banged up!

Good question about the wieght, so far I have used 3.5 boxes of flooring (not including scrap)
Funny question, but does this include a floor as well?

SDC10449.jpg

Love that stove! Super sexy. Way better than the old clunker you had in there. Very nice. How do you access the plumbing tho? Is there a cargo door or something on the outside? Maybe a removable side would work here. Seems like a lot of space used for just a sink? Must be water tanks or possibly gear underneath? Finally, did you add that vent pipe in the back or is that something all sunraders have? And if they do, why didn't they put that pipe or a smaller diameter one in the wall?
Ended up fiberglassing (mat. cloth) the entire floor, section by section, over the last year.
This is a good idea. The floors on these things delaminate from their core and adding some glass to the top would definitely give some rigidity. A lot less weight than adding a second plywood floor.
Mine is gutted all the way back to the fiberglass. How do I attach the 'studs' back the the fiberglass without drilling it ? Monkey Glue? Consstruction cement
I'd propose that you don't use any studs. They really aren't needed as the panels have lots of windows and cabinets to hold them in place and the span from floor to ceiling is relatively small. My last project, I had glassed the panels where they met the ceiling and floor as well as around the window frames and all panel seams. A light texture made of fiberglass powder was finally shot over the walls covering all the patchwork much like a typical drywall construction. Worked great and will do it again. No screws, nails, or glue. If you must add a stud, you can fiberglass it to the wall. Getting it to stay in place while you glass can be a challenge tho. Clamps where you can or wedge kicker braces to the floor. If you're redoing the exterior as well, screw from the outside of shell and then glass the hole later.