The '185' is the nominal Section Width so nominally they're both the same. The measured Section Width will vary between manufacturers (and even models from the same manufacturer). The measured section width for the same tire will vary with different tire pressures and different mounted rim widths. The industry rule of thumb is that a 0.5" inch change in rim width will change the measured section width by 0.2".

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say for sure that the photo I posted with the 1 1/4" clearance is with P185/75-14" 

I just measured the distance between the tires on my 1988 Minicruiser.  185R-14C made by Federal.  42 PSI and 1 3/16" between them.

I have 195 something-or-other on the duals on my Chinook. I don't remember if they are LTs or Ps but I know they fit fine. 

I don't know what figures you find that you think are misleading. My chart show me this although I did not rely on it for the stuff I posted.  

185R-14C -7.1" sidewall
185/75-14 - 7.2" sidewall
P195/75-14 - 7.7" sidewall
LT195/75-14 - 7.4" sidewall

5 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Sidewall-width and section-width are the same thing, as far as I know.  Those specs are section-width that came from the "written record" and certainly correspond with what I'm finding with my tape-measure.

I just found a photo of the new P195/75-14" Douglan tires on my dually Chinook.  Tires were less then $50 each from Walmart.  No tape measure in the photo but you can see the space.

chinook.JPG

2 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Can't say I've ever come across 'sidewall width' as an equivalent term for 'section width'. But I haven't finished reading everything yet. :)

Section width is given on a proposed rim width.  Actual sidewall dimensions will change as rim widths change.  As I already stated - I've given actual measurements with real tires on real Toyota rims. I seem to be the only one here so far to do so. 

Well I'm wondering how these tires weren't crushing each other. I met up with a member a month ago and was giving him some info on his Sunrader when I noticed his tires. These

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2&partnum=785QR4GRAT2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Came on the rig when he bought it. I told him they were too wide but they didn't actually meet in the middle. Very close but not touching. I warned him that driving down the road and bouncing they could make contact and blow out but how could they not be touching already. 8.6 section width.

Linda S

185r14c the c usually means commercial not the load rating. All you have to do is check the max pressure. max for  D load range should be 65lbs. Other than that the shops are not correct. There are some C load range tires in that size and they are more than heavy duty enough for your tiny Sunrader. A C load range tire would show a max pressure of 50.

Air shocks or air suspension. Two different things. Some older model Toyota motorhomes did come with air shocks. Since we can't see it you have to post a pic or describe it better

Linda S

41 minutes ago, Dgillies said:

so my understanding is that these 185r14c tires are C rating which means 6-ply... all the shops i have talked to say they can do the 185r14 D rating tires only...

The "C" stand for "commercial."  It has nothing to do with the ply-rating. 185R-14C tires come in C-range and D-range.  Maybe even E-range in some other parts of the world. I just got some 14.5" tires from China for my trailer that are "G" range and I did not even know they existed.

7 minutes ago, linda s said:

185r14c the c usually means commercial not the load rating. All you have to do is check the max pressure. max for  D load range should be 65lbs. Other than that the shops are not correct. There are some C load range tires in that size and they are more than heavy duty enough for your tiny Sunrader. A C load range tire would show a max pressure of 50.

Air shocks or air suspension. Two different things. Some older model Toyota motorhomes did come with air shocks. Since we can't see it you have to post a pic or describe it better

Linda S

I didn't mean to be redundant and post something you already stated.  For some reason -when I first "tuned in" here - your post was not visible. Now after I posted - it is.

I took a photo this morning of the tires on my 1978 Chinook. Full-floater rear with 195/75-14" tires from Walmart.  Douglas Xtra-Trac II.  44 PSI rated tire.  Note no "P" in front and not "LT" in front either.  Who knows?  Whatever they are - they have been great tires and less then $50 each.  My 1985 diesel 4WD  Isuzu truck has had a set on it for 6 year now and been greatly overloaded and driven most of the time off-road. No problems.

Tire sidewalls look pretty close on the bottom.

my duals.jpg

14 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

I took a photo this morning of the tires on my 1978 Chinook. Full-floater rear with 195/75-14" tires from Walmart.  Douglas Xtra-Trac II.  44 PSI rated tire.  Note no "P" in front and not "LT" in front either.  Who knows?  Whatever they are - they have been great tires and less then $50 each.  My 1985 diesel 4WD  Isuzu truck has had a set on it for 6 year now and been greatly overloaded and driven most of the time off-road. No problems.

Tire sidewalls look pretty close on the bottom.

my duals.jpg

That's on a Chinook though not as heavy as newer toy homes. The back 195/75/14 tires I replaced on my 86 New World had certainly been touching. The writing from one tire was imprinted on the other. 

Newer homes should have the 185/14 tires no question in my mind. 

Edited by zulandio

Just now, zulandio said:

That's on a Chinook though not as heavy as newer toy homes. The back 195/75/14 tires I replaced on my 86 New World had certainly been touching. The writing from one tire was imprinted on the other. 

Newer homes should have the bigger tires no question in my mind. 

In that photo - the Chinook is loaded with a of stuff right now and the tires only have 32 PSI in them.  I don't know what you mean by "bigger tires" in "newer" RVs.  Bigger how?   The 185R-14C in D range greatly exceed any weight any Toyota RV can have legally.

Just now, jdemaris said:

In that photo - the Chinook is loaded with a of stuff right now and the tires only have 32 PSI in them.  I don't know what you mean by "bigger tires" in "newer" RVs.  Bigger how?   The 185R-14C in D range greatly exceed any weight any Toyota RV can have legally.

I edited it but not fast enough ha. I ment the 185/14. 

They weigh 4k dry add full tanks kitchen stuff and your pushing the limit of those tires. 

Chinooks have far less frame and wall to carry around. Smaller amenities etc. I don't see the point in being cheap about tires they are all that's between you and the road. Bigger homes need the tougher tires. 

6 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

Also the passenger tires I bought have no dually rating on them meaning they were never intended a dually setup. 

52 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

Note no "P" in front and not "LT" in front either.  Who knows?  Whatever they are - ...

'Euro-Metric'. :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=24

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/08/what-is-the-difference-between-p-metric-and-metric-car-tires/index.htm

49 minutes ago, zulandio said:

Also the passenger tires I bought have no dually rating on them meaning they were never intended a dually setup. 

I can't say I ever heard of any tire-rule anywhere that a tire must be "dually rated" to be used on duals. Maybe such a reg exists somewhere, but I know I haven't seen it.

My Nissan Sunrader has the same tires on it as JD's. They were the only thing I could find in New York when I picked it up. They don't come even close to touching and I drove from NY to California and never got around to switching them for something else. No problems here. Not D load rated. Max weight 1400lbs. Think about it. There are 4 in the back so totals 5600lbs. Way more than my Nissan's butt  I wouldn't recommend them cause it's usually better to just get the right tires, but in a pinch they were cheap and they got me here and they are still fine years later.

Linda S

43 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

I can't say I ever heard of any tire-rule anywhere that a tire must be "dually rated" to be used on duals. Maybe such a reg exists somewhere, but I know I haven't seen it.

Dually tires reduces weight load. Tires don't have full load rate.  Again why even chance it? Maybe it's working fine for. You but I'd rather be way over weight load then close to it. 

Your limit in the back is about 4800 not 5200.

20160930_114920.jpg

I am well aware of the many tires that have both single and dual ratings.  That does not mean that those with no such marking are somehow disallowed for duals.  Considering my el-cheapo tires are rated 1400 lbs. each - four of them comes to 5600 lbs.  Even if I derate by 10%, that is still 5000 lbs.    The highest rear-axle allowed weight on any Toyota is only 4400 lbs. so I fail to see any problem.

21 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

I am well aware of the many tires that have both single and dual ratings.  That does not mean that those with no such marking are somehow disallowed for duals.  Considering my el-cheapo tires are rated 1400 lbs. each - four of them comes to 5600 lbs.  Even if I derate by 10%, that is still 5000 lbs.    The highest rear-axle allowed weight on any Toyota is only 4400 lbs. so I fail to see any problem.

Like I said do whatever you want but to me having a higher weight limit is greater piece of mind. I still believe that mine came with 185/14c from the factory unless they put one for a spare as an oddball for some reason. It was 30 years old made in Japan same as my Toyota. It looked as old as well. 

In my opinion the one thing you want to get right is tires. And the original problem was blow outs. Don't care what anyone claims my passenger tires were touching at one point be it before I bought the camper or while I drove with them on. 

The writing of one was imprinted on the other. If I still had them I'd show a picture of it. So does it hurt to get stronger tires nope could it hurt to get the passenger tires possibly. To me that is all the evidence one needs. But to each their own. 

I am just stating the facts.  I've come across many a Toyota RV with passenger-tires and no big problems with tires.  Are HD tires better? I assume so. I've got 185R-14C in D-range on my 1988 Minicruiser.   I also have a new set of the same tires sitting in my basement brand new collecting dust.  I was originally going to put them on my Chinook this winter - but not sure. I think it is more then fine with the 195/75-14" tires that are on it now.

The only difference between the D-range tires and the passenger-tires - that I am aware of - how rugged the sidewalls are. Load range is not any different if I'm running 44 PSI in either (or even a lower 32 PSI). 

Now - if I had a vehicle that kept blowing out sidewalls - then yeah - I'd really want a tire with a higher rating.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone. I'm new here and just thought I would jump into the fray.
 I just purchased a 1990 Itasca Spirit 21'. i originally was was just going to flip it because I got such a nice deal on it and I "thought" I wanted something bigger. But fell in love with it on the first day. It isn't spotless clean but it is in really good condition throughout. the only rough area is the graffics ( decals ). So I am going to hang onto her. And I will soon be full time in her. I'm the adventurous sort. Will try to get some pics of it up soon.

Anyway, back to the topic. I don't have lots of money, very tight budget but I am starting to go thru the maintenance on it. First off is replacing all four rear tires. They are horrible to the point I am afraid to drive it now. The front were already replaced. So I guess this is for those money misers like me. I'll be your  guinea pig, huckleberry or what ever. I am ordering a tire that I have not heard mentioned on here. It is from a website called Simpletire.com I ordered today and they were shipped today and the tracking says here by end of day on 1-17-17. Never used this site but am very impressed so far. Ill keep you guys up to date on the performance.

Here is a link to the tire I purchased: https://simpletire.com/eldorado-185-r14c-th0304-tires 

Oh yeah, total cost plus shipping was $247.00 and meet all Winnebago requirements.

Cheers, RedEmerald

Edited by RedEmerald
miss spelled and added

I thought they looked familiar. I got 6 Thunderers from Les Schwab in 2009-2010 but they cost around $800 installed.

They have been good tires with no problems so far. I run them at 50~55 PSI

On 1/13/2017 at 4:55 PM, RedEmerald said:

Hello everyone. I'm new here and just thought I would jump into the fray.
 I just purchased a 1990 Itasca Spirit 21'. i originally was was just going to flip it because I got such a nice deal on it and I "thought" I wanted something bigger. But fell in love with it on the first day. It isn't spotless clean but it is in really good condition throughout. the only rough area is the graffics ( decals ). So I am going to hang onto her. And I will soon be full time in her. I'm the adventurous sort. Will try to get some pics of it up soon.

Anyway, back to the topic. I don't have lots of money, very tight budget but I am starting to go thru the maintenance on it. First off is replacing all four rear tires. They are horrible to the point I am afraid to drive it now. The front were already replaced. So I guess this is for those money misers like me. I'll be your  guinea pig, huckleberry or what ever. I am ordering a tire that I have not heard mentioned on here. It is from a website called Simpletire.com I ordered today and they were shipped today and the tracking says here by end of day on 1-17-17. Never used this site but am very impressed so far. Ill keep you guys up to date on the performance.

Here is a link to the tire I purchased: https://simpletire.com/eldorado-185-r14c-th0304-tires 

Oh yeah, total cost plus shipping was $247.00 and meet all Winnebago requirements.

Cheers, RedEmerald

Got the tires today. The "SimpleTire" site is excellent. Easy to use, got what I ordered and in less than 4 days as promised. And there was a holiday in those four days. Now to mount them and see how long they last.

185R14C - Thunderer  Ranger  R101 Tires - Toyota Motorhome (1) - small.jpg

185R14C - Thunderer  Ranger  R101 Tires - Toyota Motorhome (2) - small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2016 at 7:51 PM, Dgillies said:

So i have had two yokohama 195/75r14 tires explode on me! I have no idea what is going on but im thinking these tires are real lame. What tires should i run?! (I still have the foolies)

what is foolies?