• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe you should have class c or d (6 ply or 8 ply) tires, not car tires.

most of these campers have 185r/14 tires.  Yes it is a REAL size - was also used on 86 vanagon.

Read the load capacity in those small print on those blown tires....

33 minutes ago, DanAatTheCape said:

maybe you should have class c or d (6 ply or 8 ply) tires, not car tires.

most of these campers have 185r/14 tires.  Yes it is a REAL size - was also used on 86 vanagon.

Read the load capacity in those small print on those blown tires....

He does have D load range tires. Yokohama makes them in that size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y356&partnum=975R4356

Linda S

Just bought 6 SV820 Nexen 185R14 LT 8 ply tires from Wal-Mart. Deep tread. Smooth, quiet ride. Like them better than the Hankooks!

On 9/8/2016 at 8:51 PM, Dgillies said:

So i have had two yokohama 195/75r14 tires explode on me! I have no idea what is going on but im thinking these tires are real lame. What tires should i run?! (I still have the foolies)

Couldn't be the weight load with four tires in back.  What pressure did you have it at?

On 9/8/2016 at 7:51 PM, Dgillies said:

So i have had two yokohama 195/75r14 tires explode on me! I have no idea what is going on but im thinking these tires are real lame. What tires should i run?! (I still have the foolies)

I bought 195/75/14 at first but took my spare down to find it was original and a 185/14 C. So that's what I bought they have a higher weight rating and inflate to 65 PSI. Those little tires don't even have a dually max weight. And they are wider so they touch too. I believe mine are 1600# a piece dually so a total of 6400# being that dry the back weighs upwards of 4000# its not a surprise yours blew especially if tanks were full and storage in the back.. I think those little ones are only 1200 a piece dully so you only get about 800 extra pounds which can add up fast. And those foolies are dangerous I'd get that taken care of.

Edited by zulandio

I don't have many miles on them yet, but I got a good deal on the tires I recently purchased from the local Stratham Tire shop: $370 for 6 new Goforms including balancing & mounting.  185R14C.
Others here have recommended these tires and they are quite affordable.  

Yes there are lots of reasonable tires out there but the issue here is not that he can't find tires. It's that 2 Yokohama's only 4 years old that were the correct weight range exploded. He had the right tires on his rig and I posted a link to them. People running Yokohama's should make note of this thread for sure.

Linda S

Yes you are correct but many have implied he had the wrong tires which is not correct. His were the right tires just not good ones. A word about the Goforms. I have had them on a year and they do drive really nice but the side walls are looking weaker. Look more like conventional radials instead of D load range stiff sidewalls. Haven't had any problems but I find myself checking the pressure a lot cause they look low. Don't know if it will ever cause a problem but it is something I have never seen on a D load tire before

Linda S

2 hours ago, MaineErik said:

The question was asked "what tires should I run?" - not Yoko's is for sure part of that answer as is what does work.

The 195/75/14 are a Passenger car tire. with a load rating of like 13xx# single. Dually decreases that rating to 12xx# giving you maximum weight of 48xx#. Like I said the spare that came with my rig which was original from the manufacture was a 185R14 C which are truck tires. Mine was a floating axle from the factory. So Toyota was sending out their 1 ton dually trucks with truck tires on them. You can most certainly put the 195/75/14 on it they will work but don't plan on hauling anything in the tanks or towing anything. That's why although you can use them it is better to get the 185/14 C's. They have a dually weight of 17xx# giving you a total of 68xx# of load capacity enough for tanks to be loaded and your kitchen food/pans'/dishes/etc plus something to tow. So the reason his tires blew was maybe a combo of under/over inflated and too much weight.

Okay so apparently you had these? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y356&partnum=975R4356&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Which are for the higher load I apologize. But they are also wider. I had 195/75/14 on mine when I bought it and replaced them since they were 10-14 years old. And they defiantly do rub together. You could see the imprint of one of the tires name on the other tire from rubbing together. There is a bigger gap on the 185 since they are a narrower tire. There seems to be a lot of debate on here and other forums on what tires to actually use. But I'd go with what the factory sent. I know my spare was original due to it being a pain to turn the chain down the rust on the rim and the date bieng pre 2000 and labeled the same year the truck was made. Said made in Japan on it too. I'd just go with the 185R14 C at least that is what I did..

No they don't rub. 3/10ths of and inch isn't going to make them rub. Your 195/75/14 were passenger tires and they are wider but they still didn't rub unless you drove them with low pressure. Not going to happen. I just saw a Sunrader with 27x8.5 off road tires on it and while they came very close and may have contacted when driving and hitting bumps they didn't touch while parked. Anything less will not rub. Some later model Winnebago's came with 195r14 tires from the factory. They have a wider section width than the 195/75/14 Yokohama tires.

Linda S

Depends on what specific vehicle.  I agree with Derek that 185R-14C is one of the more popular choices. I suspect that is because it was standard equipment on Volkswagen campervans and is known to be a HD 14" tire.  Toyota did not use D-rated tires OEM on duallies.  Some new dual-wheel Toyotas came with P195/75-14 tires that I assume were swapped on by the coachmaker.  Toyota did not ship them that way.  I suspect a Toyota RV owner that has a factory sticker calling for P195/75-14" tires is likely to buy that size when replacements are needed.  If you use the Walmart tire-size menu for a dual-wheel Toyota truck - it gives both choices.

Ok i think ill be switching to the 185r-14c's becuase something is clearly wrong with my current set up. At parked, they do not even come close to touching. And both of the blow outs have been clear edge to edge rips... Indicating i dont know what.

and as far as getting the foolies fixed, i totaly would, but im a bit over whelmed with the sourcing and transporting of parts and finding somebody who would know how to do it.. Anyone out here in Seattle?!

58 minutes ago, Dgillies said:

And isnt there a number between the 185r and 14c?

No number between them most tire shops should know what your looking for with just that 185R14. As far as finding a one ton axle check CL and Junk yards. Usually junk yards will find one if they don't have one and give you a quote. Install isn't that complicated really. DC drive shaft, some u bolts holding axle in, brake lines, stronger leaf springs, and shocks. Any mechanic would be able to do it for you if you don't feel comfortable.

5 hours ago, Dgillies said:

And isnt there a number between the 185r and 14c?

The middle number is 82, but it is left out in that particular type of tire-sizing.  So in reality, a 185R-14C is a 185/82-14

Here some specs on distance between sidewalls of duals.  Note this is with the OEM Topy wheels on an OEM Toyota/Dyna full-floating rear - as used by Toyota in USA cab &  chassis trucks.

P185/75-14" tires - 1.25" distance
185R-14C (C for "commercial)  - 1.15" distance
LT195/75-14" (LT for "light truck") - .85" distance
P195/75-14" - .25"

100_0747.JPG

1 minute ago, Derek up North said:

Are these clearances published somewhere or measurements you took yourself?

Measurements I took myself. I can claim for sure all brands are going to be the same though.

I swear that there is software constantly changing words that I type in.  I cannot believe I am making as many mistakes as I find after I've keyboarded something.  That is, unless I am getting senile.

The LT tires are the ones that can vary a little in actual size (or at least so I'm told).  The tires in the photo are P185/75-14" and were on a dually box truck. I knew the former owner and all he ever used were the passenger tires and on a lot of gravel roads.  They had a bit too much space between them at 1 1/4".  They often got rocks jambed in there.