Got a hole on my 85 Granville's muffler. Looking for advice on replacing just the muffler. It appears the exhaust pipes are Stainless Steel?? Everything else is in great shape. Question: has anyone had experience with a Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler? Does either increase gas mileage or performance? If I could get even a little increase in power it might be worth it? Are they excessively loud? Or should I just go to Midas? Not sure if Midas can just bolt on a new muffler without wanting to include new pipes. The pipes are good and the muffler has the clamps on both ends so it can be replaced if they still do that anymore. My problem finding a custom muffler shop is they don't have large bay doors to get my rig in and my local Midas does. Any help appreciated!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 9:15 AM, markwilliam1 said:

Got a hole on my 85 Granville's muffler. Looking for advice on replacing just the muffler. It appears the exhaust pipes are Stainless Steel?? Everything else is in great shape. Question: has anyone had experience with a Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler? Does either increase gas mileage or performance? If I could get even a little increase in power it might be worth it? Are they excessively loud? Or should I just go to Midas? Not sure if Midas can just bolt on a new muffler without wanting to include new pipes. The pipes are good and the muffler has the clamps on both ends so it can be replaced if they still do that anymore. My problem finding a custom muffler shop is they don't have large bay doors to get my rig in and my local Midas does. Any help appreciated!!

An OEM type exhaust system can flow more then your engine ever can. No aftermarket muffler is going to give you more power or better fuel mileage. Not unless what you have on their now is very restrictive and the wrong muffler.  The engineers at Toyota aren't stupid. They don't put an engine in a truck and then stick an exhaust on it that lowers the power.  20R and 22R-E comes with a 1 3/4" exhaust and needs 1.67" when at absolute max horsepower.   A V6 comes with 2" exhaust and needs 1.91" when at max horsepower.

I like to use Dynomax Ultraflow SS mufflers.  Not because of the 2000 CFM flow rating. More because they are stainless-steel and do not rust.

20R exhaust flow - 209 CFM, intake flow - 183 CFM, needs 1.67" exhaust

22R-E exhaust flow - 253 CFM, intake flow - 210 CFM, needs 1.67" exhaust

3VZ-E exhaust flow - 330 CFM, intake flow - 270 CFM, needs 1.91" exhaust

20R and 22R-E come with 1.75 pipe, 3VZ-E comes with 2" pipe

Dynomax Ultraflow SS # 17742

2" ID on both ends, 6" diameter and 14" long

Stock muffler on V6 - 7" diameter and 21" long

Thanks! She's a 22RE 4 banger. Will check into the Dynomax jd. Don't know who would install it though.

No Dynomax is going to be a direct-fit.   22R-E only has a 1 3/4" exhaust.  Smallest Dynomax is 2".   Stock muffler is 6" diameter and 19" long (body length).   The 2" Dynomax is 6" X 14" long.  So to install you have to add pipe-reducers and some extra pipe. Not sure it is worth the bother UNLESS you can get some high-quality reducers.  Often they are plain steel and rust out fast.

There goes that idea then. Wish I could just drive my truck out from underneath the camper to get mechanical issues addressed. So hard to find facilities with the large bay doors(-:!!

Yes, I know.   I had to cut a hole in the side of my pole-barn to fit my Minicruiser in.  My 9 foot high door was not enough.  I was getting ready to put my 88 Minicruiser away for the winter and could not bear to have it outside with tarps on it.  So, I spent a week modifying my old pole-barn. Never really got it all done, but did get enough accomplished so the Minicruiser fits in.

1 stump.jpg

6 rafters and ridge.jpg

8 roof on.jpg

10 cutting hole.jpg

11 cutting hole 2.jpg

13 coming in.jpg

15 tight.jpg

Man jd you really got it "goin' on" brother!! Wished I lived closer to you would love to visit. I have pole barn envy now! My Granville sits in my city driveway but @ least I can store her for the winter in a barn @ our fairgrounds for around $220. Won't have to worry about leaks but I won't be able to go love her till the Spring!

I went through all that work just for one winter of protection.  The next fall, in early October, I hired two local guys to help me build a new 60 foot long pole-barn.  I should of started earlier.  The snow came before we were done.  Has a dirt floor but fits a lot of stuff.  60 feet long and I think maybe 40 feet wide.   Now I want to finish the mess I made of the old pole-barn since it has wood-heat and a concrete floor.  Only place I can work indoors on my Toyota and not be laying on dirt.

Notice how I tied a beam to the loader-bucket to make a crane to get the trusses up.  Kind of crude, but it worked.

DSCF4193.JPG

DSCF4200.JPG

DSCF4200b.JPG

DSCF4229.JPG

DSCF4233.JPG

DSCF4286.JPG

DSCF4293.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my muffler replaced today. Decided on Midas. Out the door for $200. Seems steep but nationwide lifetime warranty and this shop had the big bay doors. Listened to Derek and JD, spoke to many mechanics and all stated your Not going to get an increase in power or gas mileage with the fancy high flow mufflers. At the least you would have to change the complete air delivering system from intake to exhaust and then you might see a slight difference. None of this applies to our Toyota Motor Homes though (unless you want to spend $$$ replacing the entire air delivering system) so I figured I go for the best nationwide warranty with the most locations. On a plus note the muffler was made in the USA!!