Effect of weight on fuel mileage

RaderNed

Does anyone have any figures or  experience with the effect of additional weight on fuel mileage? I'm trying to figure out if a recent loss of a couple of  mpg could be due to weight added (water, food, equipment, etc) or whether I need to hunt down a possible engine issue. Not burning oil, no suspicious sounds, but earlier in our four month trip we were getting  18-19 mpg, now we're getting 16-17. We have added "stuff" along the way, maybe 2-300 lbs worth. 

• 10 months later...

18 or 19 mpgs Really? And now concerned with only 16 or 17? Really?? I'm happy with my 14.5 mpg. Same engine as yours same length RV. I'm sure others would love to know how you get such mileage claims, I know I do!

Is yours a manual trannie? I have an 18 ft Sunrader automatic and I have never gotten that kind of mileage. One time 19mpg drafting behind big rig with no winds, but seriously once. 15 to 16 most of the time at under 60 speeds.

Linda S

Reality Check! Thank you Linda! 

Speed has more effect than weight. I never saw more than 13.5 with a 21'