traction

Hello new to this group I have a 1986 Toyota mini motorhome sunrader 4 cylinder with the 22RE 1 ton axle rear wheel drive LOL. I was wondering how good this thing would do in ice or light snow nothing crazy there is more than enough weight in the back of those rear tires for traction would it do okay on a flat serface if I went slow enough and had chains im just randomly curios I would not go up hills obviously. 

I had to move my 1988 Minicruiser around my house last winter with 3"-4" of fresh snow. All flat here. It got much better traction then my Ford F250 (when in 2WD).  I was surprised it does as good as it does. But I suspect anyone who owns a 4WD pickup knows how bad traction is in 2WD mode on snow or ice. I guess a Toyota RV is kind of like having a front-wheel drive going backwards.  E.g. most of the weight is on the drive-axle. Or better yet - a BIG rear-engine, RWD VW Beetle from the 50s-60s.

With the duels and all the weight they go in snow just fine, ice is not as good but still OK with moderation. REMEMBER stopping is another story.

6 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

I had to move my 1988 Minicruiser around my house last winter with 3"-4" of fresh snow. All flat here. It got much better traction then my Ford F250 (when in 2WD).  I was surprised it does as good as it does. But I suspect anyone who owns a 4WD pickup knows how bad traction is in 2WD mode on snow or ice. I guess a Toyota RV is kind of like having a front-wheel drive going backwards.  E.g. most of the weight is on the drive-axle. Or better yet - a BIG rear-engine, RWD VW Beetle from the 50s-60s.

Nice thanks for the answer would up hill be pushing it depending how steep the hill is ?

They do great!! I lived in one in Maine for a couple years, you could put a plot on the front! 

A ton of weight driving 4 tires= good in snow

The FF has the same  center-section at many other lighter trucks with semi-floating rears. No problem getting some sort of locker or "positive traction" type unit.  Not something I'd ever want for driving in icy or snowy conditions.  In my experience, they make driving worse in such conditions; not better.   The nice thing about an open-differential is - when on ice or snow - the wheel with thebest traction does not spin and keeps you from sliding off the road sideways.   Put a locker or clutched diff in there -and both wheels spins - and you slide like crazy.

What WOULD be nice is some way to manually lock the rear only when needed.  Like an electronic locker, or servo-hydraulic.  Or - even two separate parking brake levers that can accomplish the same effect.