Looking at an 88 Odyssey

bobblefrog

Well, several RVs later (that I knew to pass on because of the expertise I read here) and I'm back again!  I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice...

88 Odyssey, 161,000 miles (pic of engine below).  Passed NC inspection this last July.  Engine looked nice and clean, sounded good, started up quickly.

Exterior walls are all nice and solid all the way around with no delamination.  

6 new tires, shocks (and air shocks on the rear I understand).  

Roof a/c puts out cold air and at least checking the electric only found two lights not working, maybe the bulbs, maybe not. Plumbing and propane to be checked if I go back with an offer and he's happy to get it to my mechanic for a check over.

He's fixed the roof where there was a leak and sealed it.  He's kept it under a cover and said he's tested in rainstorms after he sealed the roof and didn't find any leaks.  However, he didn't replace the interior panels (in the roof of the rear bath and bath closet where the leak was and where it extended just on the other side in the main compartment and the one cabinet over the sink. He painted and taped them back up.  They are soft and a bulgy (see pics - these are the worst of them). I would replace asap.  Everything else was solid - good hard raps, no soft spots in the floor.  I think the leak was isolated to those panels. That said, I don't know if I can get to the one above the shower - that's a closed plastic shower surround (see pic - anyone know if the top panel comes off?) and he's already patched the roof (see pics).  So maybe that one "stays" as is.  

How hard is it to replace these panels?  Would that make you walk away?  I've looked at much worse on some of these campers before and this seems "doable", but what do I know?

Spare tire needs to be rehung, no screen door (apparently hinges for it (can I find replacements?), a/c in cab needs fixing (something about he turned it on and it was blowing cold but there was some sort of "leak" so he cut the belt and decided not to fix it).  Fridge is electric and I'd want to replace that back to a 2/3 way.

During test drive check engine light came on (didn't show hot, no oil light, wasn't working hard) but then after turning it off in a parking lot and turning it on and driving back to his house, it didn't come back on again. Manual steering and brakes.  It seemed to shift well going up hills.  But when turning the wheel in one direction a "new" (to him) sound of clanging popping...u-joint?  He's going to look at it over this weekend.

I did see the seam of one side of the cab under the corner was gaping a bit - he'd taped and painted over all the seams.  Not sure how I feel about that - I can't see the aluminum trim under the paint and tape. However, the exterior lights and windows looked good -no silicone.  Another from the door to the roof that has been sealed and taped and painted (see pic).  He says that he was told when he bought it that it wasn't in an accident but just cracked.  Hmm.  Is and the covered seams big red flags?  

Sealing on the roof was silver stuff - he just coated the heck out of it basically with something he couldn't tell me the name of, maybe you all would know?  

I think the guy (older) was being pretty frank with me about what he knew that was wrong and what he didn't know.   

Any thoughts would be appreciated, you guys know your stuff and when to run screaming, and what's worth considering.

PS - the racing stripe is duct tape :-)  He thought it was a nice touch.

PPS - I did not ask what he painted the exterior with.

crackabovedoor.jpg

shower.jpg

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg

roofpanelsinbath.jpg

entryside.jpg

engine.jpg

backside1.jpg

trim.jpg

Edited by bobblefrog
Correcting misspellings

I had an Odyssey. A '90 V-6. It had the typical issues you mention. When there is a gap between the exterior siding and the molding, it is because moisture has caused things to swell. All the wood bits swell, but the exterior fiberglass skin does not. It will need a good bit of repair work to get it back to where it should be.

If you are capable of such work, and it really isn't that hard, I wouldn't rule it out, but, I certainly wouldn't give much for it, given its mileage.

There is one nice thing about the Odyssey. It is absolutely cavernous inside. After putting down a 5/8 plywood subfloor over the existing terrible OSB subfloor, I still had about 6'2" headroom. Standing straight, I would barely graze the AC unit. I am 6 ft.

So, if you are tall, or maybe just claustrophobic and you can address the issues, I wouldn't completely rule it out, but I couldn't see giving more than a few grand for it. I would also tell him he has to throw in that nice carport shed thingie. That would be very very nice to have and as far as I am concerned, is pretty much a necessity for old toyhomes not named Sunrader. Sunraders scoff at the elements!!!!!

Appreciate the comments.  Yeah, good price, but even so, am I willing to tackle some of these repairs when the mileage is this high?  If this was just a summer or weekend kind of camper, maybe, but I want to do some real traveling after whatever I get is fixed up.  I've pretty much talked myself out of it after Linda's comment, especially, about the cab concerns.  Just not many that come up in my part of the country.  A challenge for sure!

15 minutes ago, bobblefrog said:

Appreciate the comments.  Yeah, good price, but even so, am I willing to tackle some of these repairs when the mileage is this high?  If this was just a summer or weekend kind of camper, maybe, but I want to do some real traveling after whatever I get is fixed up.  I've pretty much talked myself out of it after Linda's comment, especially, about the cab concerns.  Just not many that come up in my part of the country.  A challenge for sure!

There are several for sale on the Raleigh CL.

Not sure how far the travel is for you.

Sadly across the state - I only have time to follow up leads like that in the summer.  I did chase a few this past summer.  However It's one thing to go down the street and find a rig isn't as advertised, quite another when you've spent the day getting there :-)  I do keep an eye on a few places where I have family and friends that can go look for me if something looks promising.