thought i would share this. my rig has been waiting all summer to get a new roof installed. so with all the down time, i decided to "dress up" the wheels a bit. they were not horrible but some minor rust issues and just were not "pretty".  so i jacked her up and removed the wheels. did the front two first then the back four. step one was masking both sides of the tires, then sand blasting. a note of caution here if anyone wants to do this as i have, i used a silica fine sand available at a masonry supply store. you MUST USE A RESPIRATOR with this material. after the sand blasting i used wire wheels to smooth out the little bit of roughness left after sandblasting. i also used some scotch brite pads here and there. next step was wiping all surfaces with denatured alcohol to remove and residue from the previous steps. next was a coat of rustoleum primer. and finally the top coat of silver paint. i chose not to change from the original silver color, i found a pretty close match

100_1387.JPG

100_1388.JPG

100_1482.JPG

100_1483.JPG

100_1352.JPG

100_1353.JPG

Hint when painting wheels thin roof flashing wrap it around the wheel rim and secure the ends with duct tape.Toyota wheel paint sucks.

Nicely done.  I priced out having 7 rims soda blasted and powder coated this year.  $860 just in case you wanted to feel better about doing it yourself.  I would have had to remove the tires and stems first and then re-mount and balance them.  Decided I didn't want the rims to look better than the rest of it. 

i made a cardboard template to cover the axle.  the masking and sandblasting was a pain in the butt. after the paint dried, about two days, i waxed the wheels inside and out with a quality auto wax by mother's car care products. thanks for viewing, comments, and questions.

Wow you are one of the few that have the center screw on hub covers for the duallys! I am looking to find a couple of 41/2" diam. Discs just to cover the ends of the hubs- unless someone knows where to find the originals! The wheels look great by the way!

Jeff

hi jeff thanks for the reply,  was not aware the hub covers were "coveted", lol- you mentioned about a 4 1/2 inch "disc" does that mean you have the hub cover and not the disc that has the two screw holes for securing to hub cover?? have you considered making a disc from a piece of plastic ??  there are several techniques using simple hand tools to cut a circle to an exact size easily.  If you have access to a band saw, even a small bench top style, you can cut a circle with a homemade jig. other tools i have used to cut materials into circles, are : jig saws, hole saws, a circle cutter attachment for a drill press, and using a vertical belt sander and an oscillating sander. 

Coffee can lids.