86 Dolphin Rear Wall Damage

quasi-moto

Hey fellow Toy hobbyists,

I have this 86 Dolphin that we bought a year ago (luckily we only paid $1250 for it). It will be my long term project to rehab and then to sell. We already bought another Ford MH, since my husband kept hitting his head on the ceiling in the Toy and it caused much marital discord. We took a 3 week trip from L.A. to Seattle. At 5'3", I was very comfy, but hubby made everybody uncomfortable with his kvetching.

The rear panel is rotted where the spare used to hand on practically nuttin'. I want to tear out the corrugated fiberglass siding, replace the wood panels with some good ply, and put new filon siding on it. Got a good deal on a piece from an RV store closure sale.

Is there any problem with a mixed materials side? Not aethetic, just from a waterproof and safety and durability point of view.

Also I'm gonna need a lot of help as I am handy, but I am a novice with carpentry and power tools. But I am stubborn, pig-headed and only pay $69/year in registration for this thing so I figure I got lotsa time to make a mess of things.

I also want to replace the old vanity with a new teak marine table reclaimed from a local boat guy. It seems to be comparable in weight and real purdy. Anyone see any problems with this mod on the same rear wall?

Thanks,

Kim the Kooragious (or Krazy or Kantankerous)

The Toyota Groups site has a photo album in the pictures. The Toy owner rebuild the rear bath and front overhead . Title is 1990 Dolphin by dbabsjr.

Good luck