After removing the old Itasca stripes - and finding out that the shadow they leave actually etched into the fiberglass,  I looked online for pinstriping to approximate the "look" of a 1993 Itasca spirit. After only $125.00 for 5 150' rolls of vinyl and 3 long days - this is what we came up with.

20160827_173733.jpg

20160827_173842.jpg

20160826_072457.jpg

20160827_184751.jpg

Thanks! Naganthunter. The online store is called Letters Unlimited, they have a very easy to use system for ordering, I did phone my order in to them.It only took about 3 days to arrive. Good service.

5 minutes ago, naganthunter said:

Am I correct with this is one?

https://www.lettersunlimited.com/

Yes that's it.

Edited by Jeffrey Burger

The widest stripes we bought were 4" - my wife shaped the pieces herself while I did most of the straight runs..we were able to use the "ghosting" to help line things up..pretty easy to do really!

I have read that Zep wet look floor wax does wonders for the fiberglass siding...I think that will be next on the list. I just hope the 140,000 mile auto trans., radiator, A/C, water heater, potable water pump, roof. Etc.etc. etc.hold up for awhile!!

Edited by Jeffrey Burger
Missed a word

that looks great -   i have the same project for my 92 winne warrior.  I am only replacing the one color ( of three colors ) on my rig. for whatever reason the mauve color failed, the blue and green are fine. a few questions please: did you purchase the pre-masked premium vinyl tape ?  was the application to your rig easy enough to do ? any tips or advice you can pass on ? do you know if the company you bought the tape from can cut Shapes if provided a pattern ?  thanks in advance and again what a great looking rig, very eye catching and professional look, great job

I looked up application tips on You tube, there you will find some good info on pinstriping. The main thing is to wet the fiberglass siding with a solution of about 3 to 4 drops of dish detergent to a spray bottle of water as you apply the vinyl. I purchased stripes that only had the backing on the adhesive side...worked really well. The company I purchased from will do custom work I believe. On the 1/2" stripes I didn't need to use the wetting agent, but the solution allowed the larger thickness stripes to be adjusted and was easier to squeege the bubbles out. We bought the "standard" vinyl. Seems like it will hold up well.

Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Burger
Added comment

hi there jeff-- i started my regraphic project earlier this summer while waiting to get my winnie in the repair shop for a new roof. i inquired on this site about removing the old graphics, and was given some very useful info from the fine people here. i am currently waiting for some price estimates from a couple local vinyl sign and decal shops. the local shops are going to cut the curved graphics i need to replace as well as the straight tape.  the shops will computerize my pattern and then cut the new material for me to install. so far i have had two estimates, one for $250.00 the other for $625.00. big difference, i have one more price to get. i will post pics after i get the new graphics on, this is what i have now. thanks again for your help with my previous questions.

100_1353.JPG

100_1376.JPG

100_1375.JPG

100_1380.JPG

100_1366.JPG

Looking good Hunkaman...by the way- I see the tape on your shore cord access door. I found that the cap of a cat litter container is just a touch smaller than the hole so I put a couple of thin strips of the soft part of a velcro tape to make the lid fit tight into the hole. Then I drilled a small hole in the lid and attached a zip tie pointing out to use as a handle to pull the lid for access.works great!

Yep 4 or 5 coats of Zep wax are awesome , it takes longer to clean the Rv than it takes to do 4 coats

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2016 at 11:40 PM, Jeffrey Burger said:

Thanks! Naganthunter. The online store is called Letters Unlimited, they have a very easy to use system for ordering, I did phone my order in to them.It only took about 3 days to arrive. Good service.

Jeff, I am inspired!! New strips will be my next project.  In the past I have tried many products and elbow grease to remove old weathered strips on my '90 Winnie.  Nothing seems to work.  Did you consider laying on the new strips over the old ones.  My faded strips are stuck TIGHT. I'm considering it.  Thanks for sharing the sources for the materials. 

Looks fantastic!!!

Yes WME, so true that it takes longer to clean than it does to apply the zep. And if you miss something and then apply wax, it's sealed in there!

hi there jeff-  the zep wax thing is awesome. my friend has an 85 granville that he applied the zep product on. i have not seen it yet,but he is overwhelmed with the way it turned out. he said it looks show room new. if it looks as great as yours, i will be doing it to mine. thanks for the pics. should buy some zep stock lol. joe from dover

I'm that friend of hunkaman and YES the Zep wax is Simply Amazing! I put 5 coats of this on my faded fiberglass 85 Granville and the results are Stunning! I think the biggest surprise was how it restored the graphics completely revitalize the faded and sun scorched colors also and produced and exceptional shine over the whole rig !! Just got back from a week camping and my neighbor campers came over after I put the last coat of Zep on and they couldn't believe my Grannie was 31 yrs old.....said she looks Brand New and even took my picture standing next to her:-):-)! PS don't tell Zep as they might start marketing this as a fiberglass rv wax and raise the price!

If the answer to this was already here then sorry I missed it.  My wife likes the zep'd fiberglass so much she wants to do the whole cab as well.  Is it ok to zep the metal too?

Not sure about that BobBeery but I did coat the metal window frames, metal cargo hatches, metal vents and all the plastic trim including the wheel well fenders. All shiny now but don't know how long it will last on materials other than fiberglass. Good Luck!

BTW Mr Burger your rig looks amazing Sir. Hopefully it will encourage others to try this wonderful product. Many how to videos online. On my Granville the graphic strips and paint scheme were spray painted on so I had no cracks but was all severely oxidized and faded. The Zep restored the graphics to excellent condition and you have to look very close to see any oxidation or imperfections. I didn't think this was possible! So give it a try folks!

Thanks for all of your input. It is interesting to note that the Zep finish also glosses up the dull paint on the hood and looks like armor-all on the dash!! Heck- I might use to shine my shoes too!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Mr Burger,

You and your wife did a fantastic job. 

Our 1990 Toyota motorhome is being refurbished and I took all the striping off, with help of a hairdryer.

Unfortunately I have not bee able to remove the decals from the motorhood and doors of the toyota.

Did you have any difficulty with that too?

Thanks and regards from the Netherlands,

Machiel & Anet

if the hood decals are decals and not paint an eraser wheel should work. I used the eraser wheel on my door decals on my 92 Winnie with great results.  fyi, do not exceed stated rpm or paint may be damaged. good luck, joe from dover.

• 1 month later...