Furnace, possible gas leak

jjrbus

Checking my Toy for a trip I thought I detected the smell of gas at the furnace exhaust.   Very faint and not sure, wife says she smells it also.  So I figure it is August I won't need heat, unhooked the line and capped it.    Furnace works well.      

Then WME rained on my parade and told me they have snow up his way already, so I may need the heat.

I have tested and retested, I have no gas leaks inside the unit.   I suspect the gas valve inside the furnace is letting a small amount of gas by, only a guess. But not sure on how to proceed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.       Jim

All though it should not be disregarded I kind of doubt you have a problem. All of the heaters start off with a pre purge they blow air into the system to remove even the slightest hint of propane before the gas valve is even opened the same happens when it shuts down it runs for awhile after the flame is out to remove any thing that might be left over. When they first start a slight amount of propane is not burned and is quickly ejected.

Thanks for the response,  I remember a long time ago with gas stoves, that gas lubricated the valves and if a burner on a stove was not used for a long time it would eventually leak. a minute amount, but the smell was still unnerving.    I believe I have the same issue, just not sure what to do about it?   Jim

11 hours ago, jjrbus said:

WME rained on my parade and told me they have snow up his way already, so I may need the heat.

Jim

Not just throwing a skeer into ya, http://strangesounds.org/2015/07/anomalous-snowfall-in-the-idaho-montana-and-wyoming-northern-rockies.html

Remember our average elevation is 6700ft. Lots of 9000 ft + passes and campgrounds

Edited by WME

On 8/27/2016 at 7:19 PM, Maineah said:

All though it should not be disregarded I kind of doubt you have a problem. All of the heaters start off with a pre purge they blow air into the system to remove even the slightest hint of propane before the gas valve is even opened the same happens when it shuts down it runs for awhile after the flame is out to remove any thing that might be left over. When they first start a slight amount of propane is not burned and is quickly ejected.

I am mostly sure you are right, just have that nagging bit of doubt.   I picked up a shutoff valve and added it to the furnace line and will only open it when using the furnace. I suspect with a bit of use problem will go away but if it becomes an issue I can keep the furnace isolated.    (if it does not blow up)    Jim

• 1 month later...

my suburban gives off a feint odor if I leave the furnace gas valve in the open position while not running it.  I am guessing the gas valve in thefurnace has a small leak - as in not sealing. I just close the valve when not using the furnace.  Not sure I really trust it but I used this summer while in the Colorado mountains - I would run it long enough to warm up (it will run me out of there) and then shut the valve. 

On 10/12/2016 at 11:10 AM, DanAatTheCape said:

my suburban gives off a feint odor if I leave the furnace gas valve in the open position while not running it.  I am guessing the gas valve in thefurnace has a small leak - as in not sealing. I just close the valve when not using the furnace.  Not sure I really trust it but I used this summer while in the Colorado mountains - I would run it long enough to warm up (it will run me out of there) and then shut the valve. 

• Many years ago I was told by a gas serviceman that gas valves needed to be used as the gas was a lubricant for them, with lack of use they would leak.