Saw this parked

davidtan

Actually, it looks like it has 6 wheels. A standard "foolie" axle, with a "tag axle" behind.

I'm using my phone, so the picture is not as sharp as my computer. But that's what it looks like to me.

An oddity to be sure.  There was some discussion about these some time back.  Don't recall the consensus but remember the foolies and I think something about that tag axle not really rated for much of anything.  Please, someone correct me as I know upfront, I suffer from CRS.

The president of Dolphin was interviewed and was asked about the models with tag axles, just when Dolphin was ceasing production.  He said that the company  that was providing Dolphin with those tax-axles had cut their weight-rating in half. With the lowered rating, and all the added weight of the tax-axle itself - there was very little net-gain in useful GVWR so Dolphin dropped it.  So, true or not - that is the word straight from "the horse's mouth."

Kind of dry reading - but here is an article on micro-mini overloading where the president of Dolphin chimes in. I did not go back and read it all and I'm not sure if this is the one where Mr. Mertes of Dolphin mentions the tag-axle.  I get a kick out of the comment about the "fools hanging motorcycles on the back and towing boats" with their Toyota RVs.

1985 Trailer Life magazine  Besides the four-page article, I also included a few "mini" camper ads from the same magazine.

Micro weight problem_1.jpg

Micro weight problem_2.jpg

Micro weight problem_3.jpg

Micro weight problem_4.jpg

New Horizon mini.jpg

Perris Valley micro mini_b.jpg

Sport king mini 5thwheel.jpg

Sun Lite mini camper.jpg

Sunrader.jpg

Damon Escaper mini_s.jpg

Dolphin 700.jpg

22 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

So, true or not - that is the word straight from "the horse's mouth."

My 'source material' is Dolphin brochures.

1979 Dolphin 500:- GVWR - 4600lb

1979 Dolphin 300 (tag axle):- GVWR = 4650lb

The 300 brochure also states: "The tag axle which allows you to carry a much heavier load ..."  Curious. :)

1979 Dolphin 300 Micro Mini.pdf

1979 Dolphin 500 Micro Mini.pdf

1980 Dolphin 600 Micro Mini.pdf