What is involved with removing Sunrader shell?

bosshoff

What is involved in removing a Sunrader shell?  I am being told the camper is in decent shape, but the truck is rusted beyond repair.  Frame is rotten, cab is rotten (rust).  Has anybody documented pulling a Sunrader off of a Toyota, and sticking it back on another Toyota?  I'd love to be able to read anything on the subject.

Thanks.

My head hurts after looking at that post.  How on Earth does a person find the time?  When I saw the donor truck come in, then a second cab, i thought no way.  That work would have taken me a year straight.  Nope, next thing you know it is done.  Just wow.

Anyone else have a normal answer?

" Anyone else have a normal answer? "

unfortunately there isn't much normal about the folks in here but that question I must admit was the post of the day in reference to a derek post. lol

Edited by Totem

besides lots of wiring the are only 4 main bolts on the main coach ands a bunch of screws in the overhead to the cab. I would remove holding tanks and all appliances to relieve pressure on the floor so it doesn't collapse. The floor is the weak link. Might be good to add some support inside before the coach is removed,

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Normal answer :)

Linda made a good point about the floor and the fact that the structural integrity relies much on the underlying frame.  Dunno if you're planning on redoing interior, but less weight inside would certainly make things easier.

Paul (Toyoguy) also lifted his rig off his chassis.  Like myself, he  removed windows and lifted the shell in the rear by running a yoke through the now windowless rear openings. Supporting the overhead front requires a little more creativity.

I don't really remember too much regarding how many screws, wires, nuts, bolts were involved, but it wasn't a 5 minute job nor a major "shop only" production.

Good luck to you and may the force be with you!