You guys really take this generator crap way too seriously. 

Me, I bought a Yamaha for the house as we get lots of storms here and I got a hell of a good deal for the EF5500D from a motorcycle place that decided to carry them but in a year, never sold one.  I know people who have all sorts of brands and I don't take it as an affront to my sensibilities.

Thing is, why should you care how I spent my money or why I should care how you spend yours?  I only care about how I spend my money.

Same for what brand. 

Give the information and let it go guys.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, jjrbus said:

You still won't answer who the people were that had a problem running a roof air with 2 Honda's?  I'd like to read that, Source please

source mtdave duh you posted in there.

now where di YOU get a eu2000i for $880 brand new out the door, was it off the back of a truck in NYC?

10 hours ago, Back East Don said:

You guys really take this generator crap way too seriously. 

Me, I bought a Yamaha for the house as we get lots of storms here and I got a hell of a good deal for the EF5500D from a motorcycle place that decided to carry them but in a year, never sold one.  I know people who have all sorts of brands and I don't take it as an affront to my sensibilities.

Thing is, why should you care how I spent my money or why I should care how you spend yours?  I only care about how I spend my money.

Same for what brand. 

Give the information and let it go guys.

I don't care how you spend your money. just dont pee in the wind and tell me its raining.. because thats what people do when trying to run a rooftop with a eu2000i and tell me its a great worker :)

Edited by Totem

the "generator challenge" i have already linked to in this  thread also... there is a search in this forum you are an admin of if you are afraid of the 2016 generator challenge link now all of a sudden.

12 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

'Some guy on the internet' said it? Was his grammar OK? :)

I don't bother re-quoting the exact posters names on honda claims any more. mtdave had issues with parallel, but had it work once for a quick movie which was nice.

I remember some other guy that claimed he won the challenge but had his eu2000i off eco mode and the AC all the way on low. to avoid overload... I can tell you THAT wouldnt have put a dent in 98 degrees in the smokies whether his grammar was as good as yours or Mine/Harbor Freights.

:)

The inverter generator can be paired they do not have to be phased like a standard generator two Honda's will make 4KW (3200 run) So for over 2 grand, twice the fuel and twice the weight you can make all the power you need and then some. The installed Onan generator in most small MH's were 2800 watts if that tells you any thing about what it takes to make it work well.

1 minute ago, Maineah said:

The inverter generator can be paired they do not have to be phased like a standard generator two Honda's will make 4KW (3200 run) So for over 2 grand, twice the fuel and twice the weight you can make all the power you need and then some. The installed Onan generator in most small MH's were 2800 watts if that tells you any thing about what it takes to make it work well.

Agree 100%^ adding twice the risk of failure of the parts in the hondas to the equation.

Does it cost more of Back Easts Dons Money? hell yeah, not that i care. but its also more pollution and noise etc etc.

Hopefully the pairing circuits are good on both Hondas also. something in the setup gave mtdave issues. Not sure what the fix was , but either way its nothing that to me would be a desirable setup when a single yamaha, HF or clone could tackle and still be light.

19 hours ago, jjrbus said:

I would like to know who the people are who we have had team up two of them in here and still not get them to run successfully. I have never heard of anyone that could not run any RV roof air on 2  Honda's

There is a RV rental fleet operator here in Florida using Honda EU2000i generators to run Advent 13.5k BTU roof airs. So I can't admit that.

I did a bit of due diligence before I bought the new Honda and your Predator in testing consistently peaks at 1900 watts, not its 2200 "rated" watts.    Must be the Chinese watts are smaller than US watts?     Jim

I have an ETQ IN1800 (chinese) inverter generator rated at 1600 watts continuous and 1800 watts surge. I have tested it and it can only handle a 1500 watts surge and around 1200 watts continuous.  So in that case, the Chinese watts certainly seem different then our "James Watt" numbers. Maybe from the "Wang Hung Lo Watt" scale.

To be fair though, my Honeywell 2000i (also chinese) is an inverter generator ratged for 2000 watts continuous and 2200 watts surge. I have tested it to 2500 watts surge and tested it at 2200 hundred watts for at least 30 seconds and it held up.  So in this case, the Chinese watt exceeds James Watt.

One key to ratings is the time frame. If an exact time-frame is not given, many figures are meaningless except for "continuous."   It is likely any 4-6 horsepower generator can surge to 8000 watts but only for a fraction of a second that is useless in the real-world. Yet - I guess you could advertise it as a 4000 watt "surge" generator and not be totally wrong.

Sad thing is -few generators today give true specs.  For example, here are the specs for a 5 horse, 2400 watt generator I have that is 40 years old. Note how specific they are.
2400 watts-continuous rating at 73 degrees F.  If it gets hotter, rating is lowered.
4200 watts for 5 seconds.
6600 watts for 100 milliseconds.
9240 watts for 1 millisecond.

I have Chinese generator I would not call it trouble free, quiet etc. I have a Honda that runs the house that is a different story I have also used it for construction projects it is flawless the Chinese one is not. You truly get what you pay for in all respects That is why if I had a need for a small generator I would spend the money.

5 minutes ago, Maineah said:

I have Chinese generator I would not call it trouble free, quiet etc. I have a Honda that runs the house that is a different story I have also used it for construction projects it is flawless the Chinese one is not. You truly get what you pay for in all respects That is why if I had a need for a small generator I would spend the money.

You are citing one person's experience with one specific Chinese generator.  That pretty much proves nothing on the broad spectrum of things.   I bought my Chinese Honeywell 2000i inverter generator at a Home Depot parking-lot sale maybe 8 years ago?  I've used the heck out of it and it has worked flawlessly.  I paid around  $400 for it (can't recall the exact figure).  My only regret is I wish I'd bought more of them at the time when they were available so cheap.  Sure beats any Honda for actual use per dollar.  It also makes more power then a Honda 2000i.  

I remember hearing the same warnings about "cheap Japanese junk" in the late 50s, early 60s.   Seems that was not entirely true either.

and yet no one is left claiming the eu2000i is well suited to run rooftop AC (11,000 - 13500) and whole house RV  in high heat, elevation, for up to 8 hours a session anymore... agreed?

jjrbus agree?

maineah agree?

jde agree?

because guess what... the HF will.. and has... just my personal experience but then again its designed for the proper wattage needed as Maineah pointed out.

So to come full circle in my journey; they just dont offer a product in that 2500-2800 power range (Honda), that has the low weight.

you either must pair two wimps or get a massive 3000. the name brand while popular doesn't offer anything short of the 3000i thats worth a dang if we start talking rooftop AC.

Edited by Totem

18 hours ago, Brynn&Cas said:

Bahaha! Thanks for the welcome Don! And yes, I can very much understand not wanting to get involved. :P 

Brynn&Cas Please note: This is how you poke the bear.  Doesn't take much.

1 hour ago, Totem said:

source mtdave duh you posted in there.

now where di YOU get a eu2000i for $880 brand new out the door, was it off the back of a truck in NYC?

Nope MtDave did not have trouble with 2 gensets running his AC, he had an extension cord issue!

So I went 3 times,  I was quickly rebuffed at the first place with Hey I only work here I can't change the prices, you will have to talk to the owner. 2nd time it was hinted I could find a $50 coupon or say that I lost it and they would print one for me.  I am ethical and not a liar so I would not do that.   Third time was the charm.   Time and patience, some negotiating,  I also do extremely well on new cars!  Where, does not matter, just need to be in the right place at the right time.

Try a book like never pay retail again.                           Jim

9 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

So I went 3 times,  I was quickly rebuffed at the first place with Hey I only work here I can't change the prices, you will have to talk to the owner. 2nd time it was hinted I could find a $50 coupon or say that I lost it and they would print one for me.  I am ethical and not a liar so I would not do that.   Third time was the charm.   Time and patience, some negotiating,  I also do extremely well on new cars!  Where, does not matter, just need to be in the right place at the right time.

I think the best way to understand this is to know how MAP works (minimum advertised pricing).  A reseller has to tow the line as to not devalue the brand but the laws are well established that the manufacturers cannot dictate sell price.  So for many brands, you will not find it advertised for less than the manufacturer allows.  Doesn't mean you can't buy it for less and certainly doesn't mean you bought it off the back of a truck.  The more you know, the less you pay.

13 minutes ago, Totem said:

and yet no one is left claiming the eu2000i is well suited to run rooftop AC (11,000 - 13500) and whole house RV  in high heat, elevation, for up to 8 hours a session anymore... agreed?

jde agree?

I have never, ever - recommended to anyone that a 1600 watt Honda 2000i be used with any air-conditioner unit. I see it as spending big bucks and asking for problems at the same time. If someone DOES want to try it and try to live with such a setup with tweaks - makes no difference to me.  Just not something I would ever do, nor would I ever recommend it. Makes no sense from a technical viewpoint.  Any air-conditioner on the market can demand 6000-7000 watts at first start for a few fractions of a second.  Not something I'd try to do reliably with a Honda 1600 watt generator that can maybe spike to 4000-5000 watts for a few milliseconds?  My Honeywell 2000i makes a lot more sense, and the Harbor Freight Predator 2500 is likely one of the best inverter-generator bargains on the market.  I will also note that HF if pretty good about standing behind their products.  In fact I just had my Chinese chain-saw chain sharpener burn up and it was one month out of warranty; I called HF and they said no parts are available and the Chinese company that made the machine is no longer around.  But - they had a few new ones in old stock that they saved just to provide parts to people like me. In my case - they just sent me an entire new machine for free. No BS, no shipping charges, etc.  Great people to deal with.  The sharpener is crap I admit and the new one will likely die early too.  But I do not blame that on them.  They gave me great product support.  I would have no fear of buying a Predator 2500 inverter generator and I know would back it up with good service. In fact, I am tempted to buy one even though I have no real need for it (I have MANY generators already).  But in today's market - I kind of hate to miss the chance to get one at current prices and lose the chance later.

12 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

I think the best way to understand this is to know how MAP works (minimum advertised pricing).  A reseller has to tow the line as to not devalue the brand but the laws are well established that the manufacturers cannot dictate sell price.  So for many brands, you will not find it advertised for less than the manufacturer allows.  Doesn't mean you can't buy it for less and certainly doesn't mean you bought it off the back of a truck.  The more you know, the less you pay.

I will not say where I bought it as I am sure it is not suppose to be discounted and would not want to get the manager in a bind.   I missed a couple off the back of a truck  for $700 but keep in mind without the original receipt from an authorized dealer the warranty is void.

2 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Um, what's wrong with that? In fact that's what we're all doing isn't it? :)

No, it is not.  Many of us have given specifics - like make and model #s. Not just blanket statements like "Chinese."

Derek - I keep forgetting to ask.  You are from Lachute, Quebec, correct?   I am curious.  Was that name originally "Lac Hute" as in "Lake Hute?" or was it originally all one word with a different meaning?  I study and research a lot of French-Canadian records from the 1600s-1700s and am always curious about names with bad-French (as described by my French grandmother).

27 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

No, it is not.  Many of us have given specifics - like make and model #s. Not just blanket statements like "Chinese."

" one person's experience with one specific Chinese generator ".

I guess the coffee didn't work this morning, because (to me) it's sounding like you're arguing with yourself. :(

@ JJRBUS

I was pretty sure the answer would be "I got a special price that I negotiated." but yet you postulated that they can be had for $880, not $1000.  The reality is that your extreme negotiation skills may not be easily matched. So you have a $992 (i will average the internet pricing) generator thats putting out 1600 watts.

That's a 1.61 per watt of Back East Dons money. He doesn't like it when you spend his money.

:)

In any event I am a graduate of the Karass negotiation I and II corporate courses courtesy of my work, it tends to come in handy on things to be sure; but I live in the sticks and purchase on line quite a bit. I gues the "make offer" button on ebay is my best friend too.

Edited by Totem

4 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

No problems. Hondas never break so you don't really need any warranty. :)

On very rare occasions the inverter goes and they are $$$$$$$$$

7 hours ago, Totem said:

jjrbus agree?

maineah agree?

jde agree?

because guess what... the HF will.. and has... just my personal experience but then again its designed for the proper wattage needed as Maineah pointed out.

So to come full circle in my journey; they just dont offer a product in that 2500-2800 power range (Honda), that has the low weight.

you either must pair two wimps or get a massive 3000. the name brand while popular doesn't offer anything short of the 3000i thats worth a dang if we start talking rooftop AC.

Well, as an update for anyone that cares, we bought the HF 2500 and it won't even turn on  our AC let alone run it. So we're pretty disappointed because it seemed really promising. It runs well and we love how quiet it is, however that does nothing for us at this point. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, jdemaris said:

You are citing one person's experience with one specific Chinese generator.  That pretty much proves nothing on the broad spectrum of things.   I bought my Chinese Honeywell 2000i inverter generator at a Home Depot parking-lot sale maybe 8 years ago?  I've used the heck out of it and it has worked flawlessly.  I paid around  $400 for it (can't recall the exact figure).  My only regret is I wish I'd bought more of them at the time when they were available so cheap.  Sure beats any Honda for actual use per dollar.  It also makes more power then a Honda 2000i.  

I remember hearing the same warnings about "cheap Japanese junk" in the late 50s, early 60s.   Seems that was not entirely true either.

You are lucky the Honeywell was rated one of the worst. All though my cheapy does continue to run, fuel line leak gasoline all over the floor. Fuel line shut off leak gasoline all over the floor. Fuel gauge disengaged, plastic parts through the entire fuel system, carb fuel leak gasket at the bowl no such a thing as kit new carb (not a big deal $16.95) but it's annoying things like that. Oil leak at low oil sensor oil leak at front crank seal. Honda used far harder oil change and fill with fuel. That’s why I won’t buy a cheap one that I need rely on.Your results may very.

Very sorry to hear, that is why I am cautious about encouraging people to do something that may not work!  Without some proper test equipment it is hard to pin down the actual cause.  At this point we do not know how much the AC is drawing or how much the HF genset is putting out, it could be defective. Some options are try the genset on a large current draw item, an electric compressor, space heater, to see if it works.

If you know an electrician who could check the output of the genset and draw of the AC would be ideal or if you are up to the task learn to test it yourself. Time consuming but it is not rocket science. A test light to say it is producing electric is not enough, but a good start. You need to know it is putting out what it is rated at.   Another  option is to check with HF and tell them you believe you have a faulty genset and see if they will test it for you.

If it was me I would start with finding out if the genset is doing what it is suppose to do.   With a little disclaimer I am not an electrician or much of an expert at anything, just telling you what I would do.

Jim SW FL

1 hour ago, Brynn&Cas said:

Well, as an update for anyone that cares, we bought the HF 2500 and it won't even turn on  our AC let alone run it. So we're pretty disappointed because it seemed really promising. It runs well and we love how quiet it is, however that does nothing for us at this point. :rolleyes:

Totem will be right over to help you out.

This is a very intelligent bunch though it is hard to tell some days.

30 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

Very sorry to hear, that is why I am cautious about encouraging people to do something that may not work!  Without some proper test equipment it is hard to pin down the actual cause.  At this point we do not know how much the AC is drawing or how much the HF genset is putting out, it could be defective. Some options are try the genset on a large current draw item, an electric compressor, space heater, to see if it works.

If you know an electrician who could check the output of the genset and draw of the AC would be ideal or if you are up to the task learn to test it yourself. Time consuming but it is not rocket science. A test light to say it is producing electric is not enough, but a good start. You need to know it is putting out what it is rated at.   Another  option is to check with HF and tell them you believe you have a faulty genset and see if they will test it for you.

If it was me I would start with finding out if the genset is doing what it is suppose to do.   With a little disclaimer I am not an electrician or much of an expert at anything, just telling you what I would do.

Jim SW FL

Luckily I made sure I could return it even after using it, or else I would have been more cautious haha. We have some other ideas such as possibly wiring a swich so we can either JUST run the a.c. or everything else. If that makes any sense. My father is pretty RV savvy so he has some idea of what he's doing, unlike me. Though I would be curious to see if it is really putting out the watts it says it is. We're going to try testing it on a few other things and see what happens. I'm honestly hoping it's defective but we'll see!

Thanks for your input!