you can add extended warranties to any mechanical or electronic tool sold by HF Derek.

Does Canada have an HF? I dont recall seeing them when I lived there. Perhaps that's why you are so distraught; you have nothing other than Canadian tire to keep you warm at night . :)

.  Its no honda conspiracy I asure you; its just an extended warranty plan that you get a choice to buy or not unlike with honda who empties your wallet and gives no choice. Junk and bias exist everywhere. Debunking it easy enough; So the warranty is all it takes to please you? just add it on. I think you can even do it at checkout online from HF if memory serves. :) His testing mentioned the Honda warranty but not the availability of choice to add one to the HF. Nor did he mention throttle control on the HF all while stating "you get what you pay for". Obviously his education must be from a cheap community college with that mentality being true. :):)

Aside from the bias, I did enjoy his testing and stats and agree with them, just wish he knew his products and vendors better.

Edited by Totem

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sure seems the case now! "Junk and biased" I think not and frankly I could care less if Totem believes me or not. Never made a negative comment on the HF unit and it doesn't even matter anymore since the HF 2500 has been discontinued!!

9 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

That sure seems the case now! "Junk and biased" I think not and frankly I could care less if Totem believes me or not. Never made a negative comment on the HF unit and it doesn't even matter anymore since the HF 2500 has been discontinued!!

the 2500 is made in china and is still made; HF just chose not to re-brand it to make a product more geared at Honda types, which no doubt why; they seem ready to part with $ for the little beast and defend it veraciously :) .. You can find the 2500 online under other brand names... much like Ford vs Mercury etc. Some even come with an eco off switch that's soldered to the board that JDE posted. I chose to get an HF one so i could return it if I needed to. 3 years later I still haven't had to.

You've got me all wrong though if you think I am trying to make negative comments about the Honda. Im only stating its not a valid choice for rooftop AC and repeatedly speaking its specs as to what its rated to do, and not what it magically can do. Don't take it so personal.

Ive been impressed before seeing people use a tool/vehicle for something it wasnt rated to handle; problem is they will break.. and you only have 3 years.

I got my 3 years already and didn't need the warranty. As far as unicorns or rodents of unusual size, until I am bitten by one i don't believe in them. ;)

Edited by Totem

Since this thread has gone on forever I think I will add my generator mystery to it. I have a Kohler 2500 in my Sunrader. Installed at the factory. Ran when I bought the rig but it was loud and I took my ac unit off because it didn't work. Tried to use it a few years ago to recharge house battery when camping and wouldn't start. Later when I got home I tried everything I could think of the start it and nothing. That was at least 3 years ago. I was going to sell it for parts if I ever got it out. Well couple of weeks ago I was cleaning the camper out and looking at that gen set button and pushed it. Started right up and ran really well. Needs an oil leak fixed but I have a generator again. Weird

Linda S

dumb question but did you check the spark plug? ive had this happen on mowers where the plug gets an object stuck in the electrode. over time the object corrodes out and it will run again. had a gm motor once also that got a dirt chunk in the electrode and all they did was clean it out and it ran fine. Whenever something wont start; I start with the plug. color of plug is telling on the other things too

Edited by Totem

Sorry Linda, we can't help you if its working. However if you want to break it then we* could be of service:P

*3 Stooges Plumbing and Electrical

Edited by WME

47 minutes ago, Totem said:

dumb question but did you check the spark plug? ive had this happen on mowers where the plug gets an object stuck in the electrode. over time the object corrodes out and it will run again. had a gm motor once also that got a dirt chunk in the electrode and all they did was clean it out and it ran fine. Whenever something wont start; I start with the plug. color of plug is telling on the other things too

I did when I was trying to make it work years ago but I hadn't done a thing since then. Never heard of letting a non running engine sit for years and then it suddenly works. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Probably won't start again now

Linda S

17 hours ago, linda s said:

I did when I was trying to make it work years ago but I hadn't done a thing since then. Never heard of letting a non running engine sit for years and then it suddenly works. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Probably won't start again now

Linda S

That engine that Kohler used was known for that sort of erratic starting behavior.  It is a cheap Tecumseh lawn-mower engine. I have no experience with that engine in the 2.5 generator but DO with it in many other things (like Snapper and Ariens and Deere 6 horse riding mowers).   The throttle cable automatically engages the choke when pushed all the way to full.  That setup often sticks and you get no choke action.  One time it may work fine and another no so good.  My guesses would start with that adjustment.

A comment on Harbor Freight versus Honda.  NOT on the smaller gensets.  I just read a test-report from Consumer Reports where they tried out near a dozen different generators.  Honda, Yamaha, Generac, and even Harbor Freight (to my surprise).   So, the Honda "EU7000" was only rated 5500 watts and cost $4200!!   The Harbor Freight Predator is rated a full 7000 watts and cost $600.  So, I can buy seven of the HF generators for the price of ONE Honda.  Consumer Reports rated the HF unit near as high as the Honda as far as build quality and quality of electricity if makes.  Kind of a no-brainer to me IF I needed another bigger generator.  I will make a leap and assume that sort of build quality crosses over to the smaller HF Predator genset too.

13 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

That engine that Kohler used was known for that sort of erratic starting behavior.  It is a cheap Tecumseh lawn-mower engine. I have no experience with that engine in the 2.5 generator but DO with it in many other things (like Snapper and Ariens and Deere 6 horse riding mowers).   The throttle cable automatically engages the choke when pushed all the way to full.  That setup often sticks and you get no choke action.  One time it may work fine and another no so good.  My guesses would start with that adjustment.

A comment on Harbor Freight versus Honda.  NOT on the smaller gensets.  I just read a test-report from Consumer Reports where they tried out near a dozen different generators.  Honda, Yamaha, Generac, and even Harbor Freight (to my surprise).   So, the Honda "EU7000" was only rated 5500 watts and cost $4200!!   The Harbor Freight Predator is rated a full 7000 watts and cost $600.  So, I can buy seven of the HF generators for the price of ONE Honda.  Consumer Reports rated the HF unit near as high as the Honda as far as build quality and quality of electricity if makes.  Kind of a no-brainer to me IF I needed another bigger generator.  I will make a leap and assume that sort of build quality crosses over to the smaller HF Predator genset too.

When the Chinese first started making generators they were an obvious copy of a Honda engine and I believe there was only one Chinese engine factory and my still be. I have a small Chinese generator that has to be at least 15 years old the Champion generator of the same size is exactly like the one I have except for the color oh and they fixed the on'off switch so the 0 is off instead of on. It however has not been exactly trouble free. The EU7000 must have a good bit of reserve power to be a 5500 watt unit with 7000 peak also for some thing that size it is very quiet but 4 grand? The Harbor Freight one is open frame it's going to be noisy my open frame 5500 watt Honda is not exactly quiet either but I bought it used with 5 hours on it for $450 when we installed a pad mount generator for the owner.

2 minutes ago, Maineah said:

When the Chinese first started making generators they were an obvious copy of a Honda engine and I believe there was only one Chinese engine factory and my still be. I have a small Chinese generator that has to be at least 15 years old the Champion generator of the same size is exactly like the one I have except for the color oh and they fixed the on'off switch so the 0 is off instead of on. It however has not been exactly trouble free. The EU7000 must have a good bit of reserve power to be a 5500 watt unit with 7000 peak also for some thing that size it is very quiet but 4 grand? The Harbor Freight one is open frame it's going to be noisy my open frame 5500 watt Honda is not exactly quiet either but I bought it used with 5 hours on it for $450 when we installed a pad mount generator for the owner.

Having been to China twice for a month I can tell you unequivocally that this is false; there is no "one" of anything there other than the political party let alone a factory.

I doubt also that it was ever the case that there was only one factory at one point in time. United States people that have not visited China simply have no idea just how gargantuan their population and cities are. If one is religious and prays, pray they never ever decide they have run out of room and want to take ours; for they are like stars in the sky when viewed from a plane at night. Billions of people, factories and as far as the eye and even satellites from space can see. Truly awe inspiring and even frightening. Their might most likely has no match today in any capability.

10 hours ago, Totem said:

Having been to China twice for a month I can tell you unequivocally that this is false; there is no "one" of anything there other than the political party let alone a factory.

I doubt also that it was ever the case that there was only one factory at one point in time. United States people that have not visited China simply have no idea just how gargantuan their population and cities are. If one is religious and prays, pray they never ever decide they have run out of room and want to take ours; for they are like stars in the sky when viewed from a plane at night. Billions of people, factories and as far as the eye and even satellites from space can see. Truly awe inspiring and even frightening. Their might most likely has no match today in any capability.

Ok why are they all the same no matter whose name is on them?

14 hours ago, Maineah said:

Ok why are they all the same no matter whose name is on them?

I've got four Chinese generators.  All made in different places and with different designs.  Here is info on three of them that are sitting where I am right now in my barn.

Harbor Freight Predator engines and generators made in Jiulongpo District, Chongging, China in a factory established in year 2000.  Loncin Indutries Ltd.

My King Craft 3200 watt generator that cost $199 new was made in Nantong City, China in a factory built in 1996.  Suzhou Tiger Power Machine Co. Ltd.

My ETQ 1800i inverter-generator that cost me  $269 new made in Jiangsu, China in a factory built in 1959.  Jiangsu Engine Co. Ltd.

24 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Why do they all look the same?

This question could be asked of so many products.  Cell phones to something as mundane as clothes irons.  Some of that involves function and some prevailing popularity.  So if the Honda is seen as the standard, make yours look like the Honda.  Where is the mystery?  Even if they are being copied, why do you think only one company in a country with over a billion people can produce a generator?  You are familiar enough and old enough to have seen the same thing first out of Japan then Korea and now China.  Each one has stark cultural differences but are following a similar evolutionary path in industrial development.  China is on a whole different scale though.  Be dismissive if you want.  It doesn't make you right.

1 hour ago, Maineah said:

Easy answer.  They do NOT all look the same. I have four here - made in China and none look "the same."  That being said - there are certainly models made in China that get bought and sold under many different brand-names.  My ETQ inverter generator looks exactly like a Generac inverter generator.  Why? I assume because Generac buys them from the same place.  Just like a Pontiac Vibe SUV looks the same as a Toyota Matrix SUV because it IS a Matrix with a new name stuck on it.

Here is my ETQ alongside a Generac.  They certainly look similar both many specs are different.

all.jpg

It really does not matter to me but I find it interesting that there seems to be no way to deal with the obviously copy of a proven engine without repercussions.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to reverse engineer a single cylinder 4 cycle engine. When I was in the import/export RC model business one of the mfg I dealt with introduced a so so quality model engine, I worked with him and got the bugs out and it turned into a decent engine. With in 1 year there were 3 other new Chinese model engines, one of the poor design and 2 of the newer engine. If you knew what to look for you could see that they were copies, not even "reversed engineered". The original mfg had a 3 digit alphabet name and the copies had a 3 digit alphabet names with 2 of the same letters. The original mfg was so pi**ed that some Chinese mfg would rip off his design:angry:

Edited by WME

1 hour ago, Maineah said:

It really does not matter to me but I find it interesting that there seems to be no way to deal with the obviously copy of a proven engine without repercussions.

Why do you assume a Chinese company who has been making small engines longer then Honda, has to copy a Honda?   I've compared a Lifan Chinese engine sold by Harbor Freight to the Honda of the same size. NO similarity.  The HF engine has a steel cam gear, gear drive, and a conventional crankcase.  The Honda GX100 has a plastic cam gear, a rubber timing belt, and an odd clam-shell crankcase.   Completely different engines.

both.jpg

Image10.jpg

predator79.jpg

HF still has two different Predator inverter-generators. At least they did yesterday when I was at the HF store in Traverse City.  The smaller one with the 80 cc engine is at least sold as a "2000 peak/1600 watt running" unit and not a "2000." That engine is made by Lifan in China and I think Yamaha also uses that same Lifan engine in their EF2000IS inverter generator.  

By the way - Lifan was sued by Honda years back for selling motorcycles under the brand-name of Hongda.  I think that is funnier then h*ll.  It kind of reminds me when Henry Ford was ordered to stop using the "Ford" name on his own products  because another el-cheapo company seized the name. It is why many tractors were "Fordsons" instead of "Fords."

Regardless, the Lifan generator engine has no similarity to any Honda engines I know of.

21 hours ago, jdemaris said:

Why do you assume a Chinese company who has been making small engines longer then Honda, has to copy a Honda?   I've compared a Lifan Chinese engine sold by Harbor Freight to the Honda of the same size. NO similarity.  The HF engine has a steel cam gear, gear drive, and a conventional crankcase.  The Honda GX100 has a plastic cam gear, a rubber timing belt, and an odd clam-shell crankcase.   Completely different engines.

both.jpg

Image10.jpg

predator79.jpg

Posted diagrams and pictures don't match. both are vertical engines.

41 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Posted diagrams and pictures don't match. both are vertical engines.

Not according to Honda.  The diagrams are from the Honda EU2000i generator tech manual and Honda says they do not make any 99 cc engines in vertical form.  Only Honda vertical engines (according to Honda) that come close are the 49 cc and 160 cc.  I don't know where you get your info. Mine is from Honda.

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

On 9/3/2016 at 7:34 PM, Maineah said:

are we stating "are the same" or "look the same" ?; one view as a liberal would say, is "prejudiced" and one is observational of your two statements.

Its my experience, that if you study hard enough, nothing for that matter even looks the same let alone is the same when speaking about anything; even identical twin people are "not the same" - further more all people that resemble each other do not come from the same mother or factory just because of a resemblance.

:)

Edited by Totem