Every part is broken $#@%

It seems every part on  my Toy is broken, I had a couple that were not, but I managed to break one of them!  This is another in a unbelievable long line of fixing or replacing parts. Some time ago I redid a bit of plumbing and decided that as long as I had it apart I would replace the shower faucet. It's is an old cheap piece of plastic junk, so might as well get it over with while it is apart.

So yesterday I put the hand held shower head back in and hung it in the hanger and crack, the hanger broke. Not only is Murphy alive and well he hates me.  I try the shower and there is a little handle on the shower head, which I behind a$$ u me is a shut off valve, I'm wrong. Can't take navy showers without a shut off valve on the head, so another part to replace.  Then I go outside and there is water on the ground, the trap for the shower is literally broke. Not loose, not came apart it is broke, do you know how hard it is to break ABS plastic fittings?

If some one were telling me about all these parts that have broke on their motor home, I would think they are exaggerating, just not possible.  Murphy is alive and well and seems to have a personal vendetta against me.

Edited by jjrbus

Well I guess some thing as old as a Toy Home it no longer is called repairs it's more like restoration!

You have much anger in you, skywalker... let go of the hate.

:)

personally i broke a couple things early on in mine and i treat everything like its just come out of a tomb now. clean with feather brushes and always blow off the dirt not wipe.

:)

I too recently became reacquainted with Mr. Murphy. During a quick check before a trip the next day I found a burned out marker light.  Upper right rear, not fun but doable.

Out comes the ladder and my trusty #2 square driver. Go to remove and no screws??? just touched it and the cover fell off , of course it broke. Then the socket was lose and fell down INSIDE the rear wall.:angry:. Tried a fish tape to hook it, nope not happening. So remove the taillight found the lead to the marker wires. Spent 10 min dropping a weighted fishing line down to the taillight tied a loop to the marker light wires and another 15 min jiggling it up to the hole. A trip to the RV store for a bulb and cover, nope , gotta buy the whole assembly.

Went to put it all together, screws aren't missing, they rusted in half and the rest is still in the fiberglass rear cap.   Can't grab the part to unscrew it with pliers, can't get the drill in to drill out the rusted screws, the marker is behind the ladder. SOOO  got a long punch and a big hammer and drove the screws through the fiberglass. Now the new screws are too small for the hole. Find larger screws and drill out the marker lens cover (see getting smarter, not screwing in the larger screws and breaking the new lens)

5 min job took 3 hr not to mention a hundred trips up and down a ladder.:(

Edited by WME

4 hours ago, WME said:

I too recently became reacquainted with Mr. Murphy. During a quick check before a trip the next day I found a burned out marker light.  Upper right rear, not fun but doable.

Out comes the ladder and my trusty #2 square driver. Go to remove and no screws??? just touched it and the cover fell off , of course it broke. Then the socket was lose and fell down INSIDE the rear wall.:angry:. Tried a fish tape to hook it, nope not happening. So remove the taillight found the lead to the marker wires. Spent 10 min dropping a weighted fishing line down to the taillight tied a loop to the marker light wires and another 15 min jiggling it up to the hole. A trip to the RV store for a bulb and cover, nope , gotta buy the whole assembly.

Went to put it all together, screws aren't missing, they rusted in half and the rest is still in the fiberglass rear cap.   Can't grab the part to unscrew it with pliers, can get the drill in to drill out the rusted screws, the marker is behind the ladder. SOOO  got a long punch and a big hammer and drove the screws through the fiberglass. Now the new screws are too small for the hole. Find larger screws and drill out the marker lens cover (see getting smarter, not screwing in the larger screws and breaking the new lens)

5 min job took 3 hr not to mention a hundred trips up and down a ladder.:(

Only 3 hours, WOW!  And no trip to the Emergency room?

I spent 4 hours today looking for a 1 1/4" ABS P trap and not finding it!  Looks like I will have to order it online

Even if you buy the lens cover separate likely  they will not fit the old base.

Thanks Jim

"RVs aren't for using, they're for fixing". That's a quote from this series. http://rvdailyreport.com/opinion/opinion-the-rv-industry-death-spiral-part-1/ So at least we didn't spend a 100,000 bucks and still have to keep fixing things. Many of the new ones are junk right out of the factories. We knew what we were getting. 

You guys waste too much time fixing stuff. If it starts and drives go camping. That crap will still be there when you get around to it. Lots of things in mine could use work. I've been putting it off for over 12 years now. Don't ya just love a Toyota.

Linda S

We go camping a lot, but when you are back and the RV is parked you can hear it whimpering, wanting some love.:D 

That's the advantage of only having 1 rv, you don't have to share your "love"  among all your children.

Edited by WME

• 4 weeks later...

So far on the first leg of my journey, the plastic part of the AC/heater fan has broken. The aftermarket replacement is a bit noisy.

The AC evaporator is freezing up,  it is getting cooler as we head north so not an issue.

The fantastic vent is broken and likely unfix able.

Camping World, refused to fill my LP tank, got it done at Tractor Supply, no issue.

The scare and stopper, both low beam headlights went out and pass side high beam, all at the same time. id "same time" when I checked Sat morning al was well, when I inspected Sun morning bulbs were out.  I was worried it was the switch, checked circuits and appeared ok so installed new bulbs and was good to go.

Off to see the battleship South Dakota.   Jim

What's broken on your fantastic fan. The domes are guaranteed for life. They will ship you a new one you just have to pay shipping. Are you headed to any friends houses where you could have it sent? I know it says you need to know date of purchase and a bunch of stuff but my friend Suzanne got a new one for her Odyssey that was years old and came on it. No argument from them. Worth a try

http://www.fantasticvent.com/assets/warranty_policy_overview.pdf

Linda S

It is the plastic where the motor mounts is broken.  Unlikely to be fixable and can live without it for now.    The dome keeps raising, will need to tape it shut.  

Thanks for thre response Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Linda says we spend too much time fixing, may be true? I had to fix the fuel pump or maybe it was the in tank filter, either way Toy was stalling.

Now the driver door lock which was fine a month ago is barely working (does not want to unlock with key). Been using the passenger side to unlock cab and now that one does not like the use and is getting sloppy.  Jim

1 hour ago, jjrbus said:

Linda says we spend too much time fixing, may be true? I had to fix the fuel pump or maybe it was the in tank filter, either way Toy was stalling.

Now the driver door lock which was fine a month ago is barely working (does not want to unlock with key). Been using the passenger side to unlock cab and now that one does not like the use and is getting sloppy.  Jim

All except for you. You need some magic to get rid of the jinx that is following you around. I really hope the lock is the end of your problems and I hope you can get it fixed

Linda S

Murphy hit me on Tuesday 20th  (after spending a week camping )  within 150 yards of pulling into my driveway, coming home ! Neighbor had their car setting on the residential street curb, our grand-daughters hubby has their basketball goal sticking out over the chain link fence , past the curb on opposite side from the parked car. I missed the car but the basketball goal sticking out clobbered my refrigerator vent cover !  It broke the top completely off, pieces of plastic everywhere.  It sure happened fast. BOY ! it sure disturbed me getting unpacked.  I started looking for a replacement top and was surprised at the different prices, plus it is the old style of DOMETIC RM461 and they are hard to locate.
 I have 1/2 gal of MEK left over from repairing our APACHE Ranger  hard-side popup from age cracks etc.  Just mix ABS plastic pellets and MEK together and it makes a goo that welds and fills in spaces of ABS about as good or better as new. I gathered up all the pieces, more than 50, of the cover I could find, opened the MEK, using a small brush, I dipped it into the MEK and then rubbed it all along each edge of the puzzle pieces ( I found out where the piece went first) and proceeded to put the puzzle together.  Didn't find a number of them so there are holes in the cover.  I ordered me some MEK pellets tonight and will fill in the holes and make it new again.  Why am going to all this trouble doing this ?  For satisfaction and  to save  $40 and more. I'm a tight wad and a  cheapskate. I am attaching a few pictures of the vent cover after  MEK-ing the pieces together. All I need now is my pellets to finish the job.

Thanks for looking,  Maybe someone else can fix something that is made of ABS PLASTIC.

homer

DSC00518.JPG

DSC00520.JPG