89 Sunrader Plexi Window Replacements??

jackson

I'm looking for a replacement for my 89 Sunrader driver side plexi smoked window. I know there was a guy awhile back that operated under MaxxFabrication but his company dissapeared. I also left a message with Advantage RV in Napa since I read online that they may have them but I was hoping that someone here may have a current lead on a window replacement. I'm talking to a boat windshield fabricator here in Sacramento who maybe able to do it and my last choice would be Tap Plastics. Help!

It'a a mixed bag.

The left coast Sunraders have the excellent, one piece fiberglass wet bath. There are other interior features that are nice. If I ever do get another, I would look for a Cali built one and glassover the windows at the first sign of leakage.

i do like the back bumper storage box on those also. very nice. my favorite cabinets and baths were the all white fiberglass ones in some Mirages though.

Edited by Totem

51 minutes ago, Totem said:

i do like the back bumper storage box on those also. very nice. my favorite cabinets and baths were the all white fiberglass ones in some Mirages though.

Lots of west coast Sunraders have all fiberglass upper cabinets. Usually 87 and newer and for some reason not on the rear dinette model.

Linda S

3 hours ago, Totem said:

just curious what was the largest size on a mirage? i also want to say i saw a mirage that the entire backside opened like a toy hauler

You mean the whole camper? There were only 2 models. The one where the back opens, about 17 feet and they made a few with a side door and a rear full bathroom. I've only seen about 5 or 6 of this model. Maybe 3 feet longer? I don't know for sure. Just looked it up on Nada. Apparently there were 3 models. 17' 6" the little one we see the most. 21' that is self contained so the rear bath and 18' 6" and that one is supposed to also be self contained. I have no idea what it looks like. Don't believe I've ever seen one for sale ever

Linda S

has anyone posted the floor plans to these models? Ive never seen one in person. its the one RV i always hope to see at a rally and never shows.

Edited by Totem

I've seem at least three distinct versions of the micro-minis as well as other Mirages.  Quite different in 1979, as compared to 1984. The "Eagle" is the one with the big hatch.  Note the photo in the magazine with the Mirage top-left and 64 Goat right-bottom. I had a 64 that looked just like that with a 389 and tri-power.

Image18.jpg

Image24.jpg

MirageTL79_2.jpg

MirageTL79_4.jpg

25 minutes ago, Totem said:

has anyone posted the floor plans to these models? Ive never seen one in person. its the one RV i always hope to see at a rally and never shows.

Here are some inside photos of an 84 Mirage.

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

Image10.jpg

Image11.jpg

Image12.jpg

Image13.jpg

I was pretty sure Totem was talking about the all fiberglass later Mirages so I didn't include the older ones in my discussion. Interesting brochure info though. Looks like the older Mini Mirages were a completely different company. They were located in Costa Mesa Ca and I know that the neat fiberglass ones were all made by Mirage of Elkhart in Indiana of course. Certainly explains the vast differences in construction.

Linda S

I love that eagle back door. I wonder if one with a full floater and flip sofa instead of dinette could accomodate a 4 wheeler inside. a mini toy hauler would be awesome. And yes I like the newer star trek style fiberglass.

Edited by Totem

Yes, same name but quite different. I have no idea if the "Mirage" name was bought, or just a coincidence that someone else used the same name later.   Kind of like the company that sold a "Micro-Mini" as the actual model name (1977, Keystone Coach Company in Florida).

Keystone_WDLS78_9.jpg

Jack got his window today. I wished I had really looked at it when I first got it. I only needed the passenger side so I had this one left over. Darn it was super clean for an original window. He's going to have a boat window maker look at it and see if he can make them. If it works out we all might have a better source for new plexiglass windows. I'd replace all of mine if I can do it for a reasonable price. I know lots of people just think they are a pain but I love the look. My Toyota Sunrader still has the original windows, never removed and they don't leak one bit. They are pretty hazy though. The other window I used for my Nissan

Linda S

On 8/8/2016 at 5:47 PM, jackson said:

I'm looking for a replacement for my 89 Sunrader driver side plexi smoked window. I know there was a guy awhile back that operated under MaxxFabrication but his company dissapeared. I also left a message with Advantage RV in Napa since I read online that they may have them but I was hoping that someone here may have a current lead on a window replacement. I'm talking to a boat windshield fabricator here in Sacramento who maybe able to do it and my last choice would be Tap Plastics. Help!

Consider having them fiber-glassed over. One advantage is no more leaks around those rubber seals. Then put in a roof vent over the cab bunk for light. 

Well Like I said I love the look of the original windows and the guy I got the window for Jack found a guy up in Sac who is going to try making them. They will be substantially less than Advantage RV. Around 350 instead of the 450 or more they are charging now. My original windows don't leak at all on my 86.

Linda S

The new manufactured window is being installed this week into my Sunrader so I'll know whether it's a good enough fit to recommend and start selling here. It looks spot on to the original and the bend radius to my eye looks exactly the same. At this point, I've only had the driver side manufactured but I can also make the passenger side. My manufacturer believes that all the original wraparound windows were cut from a standard template so he assumes all of the windows manufactured were the same for all of the Toyota and Nissan Sunraders. It makes sense because the templates for the shell cutouts would have been easier to mass produce as well but I'm just not sure yet. Does anyone know for sure whether all the Sunraders used the same size?

On 8/11/2016 at 1:52 PM, linda s said:

I was pretty sure Totem was talking about the all fiberglass later Mirages so I didn't include the older ones in my discussion. Interesting brochure info though. Looks like the older Mini Mirages were a completely different company. They were located in Costa Mesa Ca and I know that the neat fiberglass ones were all made by Mirage of Elkhart in Indiana of course. Certainly explains the vast differences in construction.

Linda S

Looks like they are from the same company.  I came across this today in the April, 1978 edition of Recreational Vehicle Retailer publication.  The Mirage in Costa Mesa was only incorporated for 2 years.  Kind of looks like Jerry Weis moved the business to Elkhart, Indiana.  From the description of his announcement of the "new" Mirage - it sounds like the streamlined fiberglass version.

Mirage Jerry Weis.jpg

i'd love to get one with the full open rear door with a 1 ton axle and put my yamaha blaster in the back (324 lbs). That would be my private camper no family or kids, just me going to 4 wheel. wonder if it could handle that.

23 hours ago, jdemaris said:

Looks like they are from the same company.  I came across this today in the April, 1978 edition of Recreational Vehicle Retailer publication.  The Mirage in Costa Mesa was only incorporated for 2 years.  Kind of looks like Jerry Weis moved the business to Elkhart, Indiana.  From the description of his announcement of the "new" Mirage - it sounds like the streamlined fiberglass version.

Mirage Jerry Weis.jpg

Somehow I think that is unlikely. The Mirage company in California didn't just stop making motorhomes because they moved. They had their license suspended to do business for non payment of taxes or some other irregularities. They were  publicly traded corporation so the Feds don't just let you go to another state like nothing happened. Mr. Weis also would have been in his 90's by then if he was still alive at all. After suspension the name is up for grabs by anyone who wants it

https://www.californiaexplore.com/company/00852336/mirage-motorhomes-inc

Linda S

Could be?  If so (that is . . .that the one Mirage iss not relate to the other) - then what was 2nd, "new" Mirage coming out that was low enough to drive into a garage?   Not a rhetorical question. All I know about it is what he mentions in that announcement. I hope to find out more when I get to the RV research-library.

12 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

Could be?  If so (that is . . .that the one Mirage iss not relate to the other) - then what was 2nd, "new" Mirage coming out that was low enough to drive into a garage?   Not a rhetorical question. All I know about it is what he mentions in that announcement. I hope to find out more when I get to the RV research-library.

I don't know but I'm guessing he died and never got to produce it. Bandit and Chinook were already being produced but weren't fully self contained. There was a lot of opportunity to make a more comfortable, family friendly pop top. Hope you find out more. History is such a mystery. Love it.

14 hours ago, linda s said:

I don't know but I'm guessing he died and never got to produce it. Bandit and Chinook were already being produced but weren't fully self contained. There was a lot of opportunity to make a more comfortable, family friendly pop top. Hope you find out more. History is such a mystery. 

The RV museum in Elkhart, Indiana has a research library and free camping in their parking lot.  We are hoping to take a trip this fall when the weather starts getting lousy and being outdoors is not always fun.

• 2 weeks later...

My newly manufactured replacement driver side plexiglass window was installed yesterday into my '89 Sunrader and fit well, it needed a little shaving (1/4") on one side but the window installer said it was an exact fit to the stock window. My window manufacturer will correct the size difference in his mold. I am going to have him make a passenger side mold as well. I am going to sell for $350 per side. These will fit all Sunraders with the exception of the earlier, larger models. I can make those too but you need to send me the originals. Broken is fine as long as we can piece together for sizing purposes. 

• 2 months later...