Propane preparations & precautions

Does anyone have any advice for running the propane in an RV that hasn't had it run in a couple of years? Are there any precautions one should take before opening the valve and trying to light the stove/oven/fridge/water heater?

Thanks!

Normal drill is to FULLY open the valve, go to the stove, use a butane long match type lighter, light the match and hold it next to a burner, turn on the stove  and wait until the stove lights. It may take awhile because there is air in the line. After you get the stove working on all burners try the water heater. Same drill light match and wait.

The refer and oven can be a real pain to get going, because the pilot is so small and will take forever to get gas.

IF YOU SMELL GAS>>>STOP. Close the valve and see a pro

• 2 months later...

Thanks!

So far I've only gotten the stove (not oven) and fridge working. 

No luck yet with the oven, water heater or furnace. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Just to clarify: I've spent about 10 minutes with one of those long lighters trying to get the oven pilot lit, and twice spent 10 minutes trying to get the water heater pilot light going. And I'm quite confident that my 12v power is good, so I figure the furnace should come on. But so far only the stove and the fridge came on. 

My Grannie sat for over 5 years when I got her. Bought her from my pastor's parents so when they said everything worked the last time they used the camper i believed them. So I did the WME described. Stove top lit first. Then got the fridge going. But it took forever to get the hot water tank lit especially since I didn't know where the pilot light was. Had to keep the gas on a long time but it finally lit. My stove has an auto pilot with a button. Had to push many times but it finally lit. You could try putting the match flame by the pilot light near the back of the stove to light. Since you got the stove top lit and no gas smell your off to a good start. Now the furnace. My unit works by the thermostat. When turned on it clicks and clicks until it finally fires up. Also took a very long time. Just had to purge out all the air and get propane back into the lines after all those years! Good Luck Man!

Usually when stuff won't light it's because there are bug nest in there. shop vac it and clean everything out. Tiny brushes like this  are super at cleaning out those little burner lines.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GUM-Proxabrush-Go-Betweens-Wide-Cleaners-8-count/43751114?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5629&adid=22222222237260401234&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=108838443390&wl4=pla-112956303632&wl5=9032375&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=43751114&wl13=5629&veh=sem

I get at dollar store

Linda S