Chinook fridge

ambercaye

Hey Everyone!

I was testing out everything in the 1976 Chinook the other day, stove works fine, water fine but the only issue is the original Dometic Fridge. Now I am not sure how long it takes to start up, if it really makes any noise or anything like that. I tried running it plugged in and off the propane too since it is a 3-way fridge. Any tips on how to get this thing running? 

Thanks

Amber 

1 hour ago, ambercaye said:

Hey Everyone!

I was testing out everything in the 1976 Chinook the other day, stove works fine, water fine but the only issue is the original Dometic Fridge. Now I am not sure how long it takes to start up, if it really makes any noise or anything like that. I tried running it plugged in and off the propane too since it is a 3-way fridge. Any tips on how to get this thing running? 

Thanks

Amber 

If original you have a Dometic RM211.  It is different then what is used in many other Toyota RVs. Has a German-made rotary switch with contacts that often get corroded and do not work.  Main thing is this.  Regardless if trying to use on 120 volts AC, 12 volts DC, or propane - the back chimney areas MUST get hot.  That is how it works. It MUST get HOT to get COLD.  If it not getting hot - then you likely have a bad switch, or a blown fuse (hidden in the back) and/or a plugged burner.   No noise when working correctly.  The switch can be taken apart and cleaned and new ones are on Ebay often.

3 hours ago, jdemaris said:

the back chimney areas MUST get hot.  That is how it works. It MUST get HOT to get COLD. 

okay it does get hot. How long will it normally take to cool down then? 

thank you for your response! :)

In an hour or two, the fins in the freezer ought to feel cold.  The entire refrigerator probably needs half-a-day to reach full coolness. I always turn mine on the night before I'm going to travel.

another good fridge tip is to empty the pan that sets below the fins in the fridge from time to time. Otherwise amebas and strange mildew monsters will grow in it and stink up the fridge. If left to fill too much it will overflow on your food also making fridge a soggy mess.