RE Derek and chassis ID for parts

zero

RE the past discussion of looking up parts for our RVs by vehicle code and not the VIN.  I posted the code numbers for various years.  You (Derek) seemed to indicated those codes are easy to find?  I am sort of paraphrasing and maybe I misunderstood. I don't remember where that thread is buried now.

I just got around to looking at two of my Toyota RVs.  That Toyota code is clearly printed on a tag on both. The VIN alone will not always get the right parts.  The chassis code will. Here are the code tags on my 1978 Chinook (RN28 series) and my 1988 Minicruiser (RN7y5 series). 

1978 Chinook.JPG

1988 minicruiser.jpg

What might be useful is a breakdown of what each section means.  On mine, I see the RN75L you've referred to but as part of the entire model number.  I also figured out that the TM is transmission as the A43D is pretty obvious.

I've googled the model number both as just RN75L and RN75L-SDTEA3W and come up with a lot of 4Runner references.  Would be great to know what C, TR & A are too.

tag1.jpg

Edited by Back East Don

Not sure about later models but my 1978 also has the chassis I.D. Stamped on the left frame rail just forward of the lower A-arm.

4 hours ago, jdemaris said:

You (Derek) seemed to indicated those codes are easy to find?

I don't seem to get any results from the Search function, so I can't find the thread you might be referring to. However, I doubt very much I'd have written that the codes were "easy to find". If anything, I'd have written that virtually nobody refers to them. All the online Toyota Dealer websites I've visited ask for a VIN.

I've never gotten a wrong part using my vin. Yes on Toyota sites it sometimes comes up as a 4runner but it will also specify double wheel. Can't really think of any double wheel 4runners. Just a Toyota idiosyncrasy.

Linda S

17 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I don't seem to get any results from the Search function, so I can't find the thread you might be referring to. However, I doubt very much I'd have written that the codes were "easy to find". If anything, I'd have written that virtually nobody refers to them. All the online Toyota Dealer websites I've visited ask for a VIN.

Sorry, that is not what meant to write.  I meant to write you indicated those numbers were NOT easy to find when sourcing parts.  Somehow my "not" got deleted, or my brain stopped short of the keyboard.   Regardless of what Linda has experienced, I have many times NOT be able to find parts just by VIN.  The post I am referring to was when you (Derek) posted a VIN for a 1 ton Toyota pickup (NOT a RV or cab &chassis).  That VIN proves my point since proper brake rotors could not be narrowed down to one number just by the VIN.  With mid-80s RVs. often the "3W" at the end of the model code is what gets you specific parts.  Toyota dealers (at least the ones I have been too) often start with the VIN, and then the come up with all the different model codes and then the proper code gets picked.  Sometimes there is only one choice and sometimes several.