Scrapping out 1990 Itasca

wonderabout

I have access to a 1990 Winnebago Itasca, here's what I know about it, has been sitting for about 6 years or so, the shifter is stuck in park, the steering column was taken apart to find a way to unlock it to no avail so it was put back together. It has water damage, front ,back and around ac. generator gone, refrigerator has no door, toilet taken out, hasn't been started in a long time, 76,000+ miles. my thoughts are it has no value except rims and rear end. my question is do I walk away from it or bring it home strip it down and try to sell wheels and rear end, just not sure if its worth my time. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Well Runningman needs the mirror arms and braces. lots of little stuff to sell. Wiper motor, computer very hard to find, power center, tank monitor, holding tanks, propane tank darn I want that part. As you can see I'd have a field day with it. Tearing stuff apart is so fun. Too bad that steering lock problem is fixable.

Linda S

This one is tempting as it has a year old roof AC for the asking price of $250 and they'll even deliver it (local only).  http://worcester.craigslist.org/rvs/5703800689.html  North Central MA about 20 minutes from me. 

Neighbors would hate me (I mean more).  Don't have the room and it doesn't look like a restoration candidate to me.  Where would I store the parts & how much time and effort.?  How much could I make?

On the 90 Itasca.  Above I highlighted what I think is an appropriate evaluation in my case but things like this is what you should consider.   Also how are you going to dispose of the bones?

That AC is tempting after working in sweltering heat last weekend...

There's a person on Instagram with a Sunrader that is trying to put in a 5,100 BTU Haier Window Air Conditioner where the stove used to be. I've also been keeping track of the ongoing thread on this forum as well.

The column shifter is actually a rod that goes through the firewall and attaches to lever that goes into the transmission. Try penetrating oil on all those parts. The rest of the list can be resolved DIY without sinking too much into the project.

Well actually there is a pin in the column that's connected to a cable from the brake pedal. No unlocking the column or shifting until that pin is released. Turtle the owner of the yahoo Toyota camper group had a problem with his and took him a long time to figure it out.

Linda S

Well I decided to look into this further, Linda you were right, there are actually 2 locking pins, one electric and one mechanical , after removing all the plastic under the column I found the electrical one thought I had it but no, so digging further found the cable with what looked like a push button that would release when the brake pedal was pushed, after unbolting and dropping the steering column found the other end going to the shifter column, wrenched it loose and pulled it out, the pin was really seized up. removed the cable; shifter problem solved!:D   Didn't think to take pictures, after I get it home I'll see what I can do about that in case somebody else has the issue.

I did finally get it to start but it wont run, fuel looks and smells like turpentine, I think the hardest part in the whole process was breaking loose the fuel lines from the filter. 

Feel sad for the lady po, she had big dreams for her retirement, only put 300 miles on it just getting thing fixed, free head gasket plus $500 in other gaskets, $200 for sealing tape(wow), had refrig. repaired, plus other things until the shifter problem, nobody could figure it out, so it just sat and started to rot away, until I came along.

She has the Onan generator, a rv dealer told her it was worth about $3000 is this right?

If it's an onan microlite, they sell new for about $2500.00. Used, depending on hours run, anywhere from $900.00 to $1200.00.

Keep in mind a new carburetor runs about $250.00. Usually it's the carb that goes bad from little use.

OK now it;s in pieces in your yard with no rear and lots of missing stuff and most junk yards don't want motor homes.

The generator is all ready missing sounds like the rear is the only thing worth while part and maybe front hubs and brakes. There is a good chance the engine is rusted tight and the trans has never been serviced.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not getting back sooner, things have been busy and took a couple trips in my 90 winnibago. Yep brought the 90 Itasca home not sure what I'll do with it. If anybody would like to make a reasonable offer it could be had. Runs great! Though it does need WORK, water damage plus the po did damage thinking she could sell off parts, had the fridge repaired in the beginning then thought she take it out and sell it, she got the door off but couldn't figure how to get the fridge out so she threw the door away. :o The one part I could really have used.

Several years ago when I decided I wanted a Toyota I had a hard time finding one, now I see them all over the place for sell and have 3:wacko:

Heres a pic of my back yard and the 90 Itasca, the tarped one is an 85 that's being turned into a toy hauler but that's for another post.

I'll post info and pics concerning the shifter problem under another heading just in case someone else runs into this so they wont let it sit for 16 years as was this one

DSC00931-1.jpg

DSC00779.JPG

DSC00900.JPG