Help! How The Heck Do You Get Fridge out of Sunrader

Bryan C

So last night I was attempting to replace the refrigerator in my 18 ft Sunrader.  I removed the old one with quite a bit of muscle, pushing, shoving, and well you get the picture.   Now it won't come out the 20" side entrance door.  I didn't want to pull out one of the big side windows in back and disturb the nice seal on it.  So me and my buddy pondered, and come up with a solution.  So unless anyone here has a better suggestion, this is what we are planning for tonight's project.  We are going to pull both front seats, and possibly the passenger front door, and remove the old fridge through the front cab, and that is the route we will remove the old and place in the new.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

As some of you know I have recently purchased a nice little 1983 Sunrader 18 ft and I am doing a rather extensive overhaul in preparation for a 3700 mile road trip that I am leaving on at the end of next week.  To date I have changed all belts, oil and filter change, all interior light fixtures have been replaced with LED, new Bridgestone 8 ply tires, replaced plumbing and new water pump, new batteries, and repaired the dash air, it is now blowing ice cubes!!!  We still need to replace the thermostat with the upgraded dual stage thermostat from Toyota, and possibly replace the radiator as well.  I have already replaced the fan clutch, but it continues to run at 3/4 temp range on gauge.  It only has 30,000 actual miles on it.   I have ordered a new Coleman Mach 1 11,000 btu powersaver roof air, and new Dometic fridge model #2354 from PPL in Houston.  They are the cheapest RV parts supplier on the planet that I have found.  The fridge came about a week later on a busted up pallet and without any protection of any of the guts of it, everything was exposed.  The AC which was on the bill of lading also was nowhere to be found.  After two days of back and forth between PPL and R&L freight carriers, I have learned that my AC has been sitting on a dock in Dallas since last Thursday.  I am going to have to add a new breaker to my power center to accommodate the new AC as well as upgrade the power cord from 14 ga to 10 ga.   I also have purchased a Honda Eu2000i that I am going to place in a diamond plate aluminum box attached to the 2" receiver hitch that I am getting ready to mount on the rear. 

7 minutes ago, Bryan C said:

As some of you know I have recently purchased a nice little 1983 Sunrader 18 ft

There you go again.  Give it a rest already.

From what I recall you are on the right track.  Oh look, Derek beat me to it as I type.  I've read it is a tight fit but you won't have to take the door off.

Please tell me what tires you bought from Bridgestone that were 8 ply. They haven't made a tire for our rigs in many years so if they came out with a new model I would love to know.

Linda S

Derek and I were posting the tire question at the same time.

7 hours ago, Derek up North said:

New Bridgestone tires? I thought they stopped making a 185R14 LR D tire years ago?

Oh no, I told you wrong, it wasn't bridgestone I bought it was Hankook.  But I'm very pleased with them.  I bought them off amazon for $71 a piece delivered to my door, which I'm pretty sure is a smokin deal!!! Sorry for the confusion guys.  

8 hours ago, Back East Don said:

From what I recall you are on the right track.  Oh look, Derek beat me to it as I type.  I've read it is a tight fit but you won't have to take the door off.

I got the old fridge out, yep right again Back East Don, I didn't have to pull the door off, however I did pull both front seats, to prevent ripping my cherry, perfect 1983 toyot seats. Lol. But man it was a bit of a chore with a lot of twisting and turning.  However the new fridge did go in much easier as it was a a couple inches narrower all the way around and weighed considerably less than the old fridge we took out.  I appreciate everyone's help who are always willing to lend some helpful advice.  Many Thanks!!!

Edited by Bryan C

8 hours ago, Back East Don said:

BTW Back East Don, I hope you are on here tommorow night raving to us about your new Sunrader,. I hope it is everything you are looking for to make your forever Sunrader!!!

Back east Don:

On the cabbieland  replacement refrigerator pictures, he cut off a wrench to help out. I have never owned a crow foot wrench that attaches to a rachet but it looks as if that would work. Have seen them advertised in catalogs.  Would I be correct in this post??

'homer'

When I took my fridge out and put new one in I found for the original small fridge only required taking out the passenger seat. I had a piece of plywood (about 2X6') that I was able to use to make it easier to maneuver the fridge and keep from gouging things up. A big piece of cardboard might help also or old towels/blankets to protect things.  I always have a big piece of cardboard around as a green, environmentally friendly, recyclable creeper.  

When I put the new, much larger fridge in I had to remove the driver seat and then it was close.                                          Jim

6 hours ago, Bryan C said:

BTW Back East Don, I hope you are on here tommorow night raving to us about your new Sunrader,. I hope it is everything you are looking for to make your forever Sunrader!!!

Wish it were so but it ended up a bust as the seller sold it to someone he knew.  Having the luxury of time, I've managed to find postings on craigslist an hour or so old.  I would have gone that day to look at it but the seller couldn't get to where he had it stored till the end of the week.  I confirmed yesterday at 4pm and the seller replied that he would meet me there and sent along a bunch of photos all pretty positive (interior a bit rough).  Thought I was good to go, had reserved a transport trailer and withdrew some money from the bank.  Then around 9:45 I get the call that he sold it.  He was all apologetic and said he really hated to see the old girl go but a friend decided to buy it.  Sometimes even when you are first in line, you can have the rug pulled out from under you.

I have time but like a number of people who have searched for something worth buying, it is a frustrating market out there.  I'll continue looking but summer will be ending soon and my business will need attending to this fall as I am only semi-retired.  I lose the ability to drop everything and go starting in Sept.

I've been kidding you a bit only because I think it is funny.  I fully appreciate your enthusiasm and pride.  Thank you for your kind thought.

5 hours ago, Homer said:

I have never owned a crow foot wrench that attaches to a rachet but it looks as if that would work

I have a set of crow foot wrenches in the tool box.  They see very little action but when they do get pulled out it is because I've tried everything else.  Usually a stubby wrench will work if I can get my hand in and that is the key.  The stubby wrenches get used fairly often too. The crow foot only needs turning radius and will work with limited access.  The down side is lack of breaking torque.  For me, a once or twice a year tool.

• 1 year later...

Sometimes with door of the fridge out, sometimes without. But always through the passanger door. In or out. Youtube may have a video of someone doing it.

4 Bolts is easy to say, but if you havent maintained the truck then they will be jammed beyond the hammer by 30 years of crud and only mobile after a bit of wd40 or pb blaster. Which, you know, shag carpet doesnt particularly agree with.