Vacuum Connection - location for A/C idle-up control ?

I'm running a carbureted 22R with the early A/C setup and it seems that besides leaving the A/C uncharged for years, the PO also removed the idle-up vacuum diaphragm-assembly that raises the rpm at idle, to compensate for the additional load that the pump puts on the motor. I located the vacuum-actuator on a salvage unit  (carb-only, no truck), ( Pic 1)  but cannot find in any of my 3 manuals, a picture of where the vacuum line from the diaphragm might be connected to. Possibly to a controller ?, in turn connected to the intake manifold?   Any help would be appreciated. Maybe a picture ?  If successful, this has all the possibility of being a historic occasion for my tolerant and loving wife who has been a great sport about it all, so far.    :)

Thanks,

BR, TG

Salvage.JPG

I think that's for the power steering, see if there is a vacuum connection on one of the power steering hoses. I don't remember the carb's having an AC kick.The RE's do it's controlled by an electrical switch that lets air in via a vacuum intake port.

Thanks Maineah, I looked, no sign of any power-steering hook-ups. I re-checked my earlier observations and I can see exactly how the idle kick-up works when I pull a vacuum on the donor carburetor and it seems to work perfectly. As it is adjusted on the parts-carb, with a vacuum pulled, it restricts the return to idle by just a whisker, seemingly translated to a  hundred or so rpm. Just gotta figure out where the vacuum is supposed to come from and the device that causes it. Less and less folks seem to have carbureted vehicles now and it's harder to find another rig w/AC to just look at.

The vacuum to that vacuum-pod is controlled by a electric vacuum solenoid.  That is controlled by either the main computer, or the air-conditioner amplifier.  My point being that the vacuum line from the pod goes to the solenoid, and that solenoid has an input that hooks to a main engine vacuum source.

Here is a wiring diagram for a Toyota cab & chassis with a 22R for model year 1983.  It shows the VSV (vacuum switching valve) that controls vacuum to the vacuum pod.   I also attached a photo of one of these valves as used on a 22RE. I have no photos of the one on a 22R but I know it works the same and looks similar.  It is controlled by the computer as far as I can tell. On the 22RE, it activates that pod to raise the idle for air-conditioning and when power steering is used with the engine at idle speed.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

img709.jpg

Thanks guys, this is like Xmas, just what I needed. Linda, I didn't have a link to this cool parts / diagram source, thanks.  Jdmaris, I've been looking for a photo of the earlier solenoid for days....when I find the pre-EFI version of that valve, I'll post a picture for future seekers. Now  I can take all these drawings down to my local parts source and hopefully get things squared away. Thanks again for all responses.

BR,

TG

• 10 months later...

Hi Sciama,

The part I used was purchased at the local Toyota dealer by special order. Total cost new was about $27.00.

Be advised a recent online search with that Toyota part number (88690-89116 aka - Valve Assy Magnet) turned up several other sources for supposedly genuine parts at about $10.00 lower.

ex    https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~valve~magnet~for~idle~up~device~88690-89116.html

Strange that my parts diagrams from various books show it as a #88691, which puts the retail price considerably higher. Anyway, the 88690 is what the 'Yoda parts guy referred me to. I had it installed and it's working well.

Unfortunately, my mechanic additionally found a bad A/C amplifier, and some wiring the PO did had to be corrected to get power and ground. ($$)

However, life is better with A/C. B)     

Hopefully, you just need the part(s).

Good luck, BR,

TG

• 4 years later...
On 6/3/2017 at 11:10 PM, ToyoGuy said:

Hi Sciama,

The part I used was purchased at the local Toyota dealer by special order. Total cost new was about $27.00.

Be advised a recent online search with that Toyota part number (88690-89116 aka - Valve Assy Magnet) turned up several other sources for supposedly genuine parts at about $10.00 lower.

ex    https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~valve~magnet~for~idle~up~device~88690-89116.html

Strange that my parts diagrams from various books show it as a #88691, which puts the retail price considerably higher. Anyway, the 88690 is what the 'Yoda parts guy referred me to. I had it installed and it's working well.

Unfortunately, my mechanic additionally found a bad A/C amplifier, and some wiring the PO did had to be corrected to get power and ground. ($$)

However, life is better with A/C. B)     

Hopefully, you just need the part(s).

Good luck, BR,

are you running the stick Asian 2barrel or the Webber 32/36 progressive? If running after market how do you have the a/c idle up actuator (NOT THE VSV) hooked to the after market throttle linkage ? Also how do you have all you vaccum lines ran from the actuator (at carb) and to the VSV (control or on the fender well) ANY PICTURES WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED !!!!!!!! lol I have a 85 2wd with A/C  PO put Webber on it and trying to incorporate as much of the stick system as possible along with everything for the A/C 

Sorry, still running stock Aisin. Can't help you with the Webber.

My rigs off-site anyway.

Maybe someone else out there can help.

Good luck

TG