Hitch Cargo Carrier and Weight

Kale

In my continued preparation for the drive north, I picked up a 2800W Champion Generator. As there's no room for a generator of this size inside the coach, a hitch cargo carrier seems to be the most reasonable option.

I'm looking at this 24" x 60" one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G4Z5J0

I like it because the 24" inside width would allow me to place the 22.4" x 17.3" generator front to back, leaving more room for other gear. It also raises up a bit for additional ground clearance. My biggest concern is adding too much extra weight. It's listed as 4.3lbs, which is obviously incorrect. The reviewers mention that it's probably 43lbs; about double what I've seen for an aluminum carrier.

So it sounds like I'd be putting a minimum of 146lbs on the rear hitch (gen + carrier). I'll also want to carry an extra gas can, some tools, and possibly a spare wheel*.

What do you think? Go with the heavier rack or make due with a smaller aluminum one?

As always, thanks for the advice!

*PO included a spare 6 lug rim, I haven't decided whether to buy a tire for it or try to sell it. I have a quality patch kit and portable compressor, so I kinda figure I could make due with that instead of carrying around the tire.

Edited by Kale

12 minutes ago, RVdaytrader said:

It says 60 pounds...got good reviews tho.

Ha! I must have been looking at a different one, been interneting too hard. Thanks for pointing that out!

Edited by Kale

After numerous wweb searches I decided to shoot for a maximum of 200 lbs on the rear end including the carrier.  No special information or engineering degree, simply observing what others are doing and what I will feel comfortable with.  Now I am at about 160 lbs, but will be adding a grill, chairs, gas can and misc.     Keep in mind weight will also affect handling.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/9210-hairhare-brained-idea-begins/

HTH  Jim

Hmm, I'd probably be around 200 with carrier/gen/extra gas. I did just have new Bilstein 4600 shocks put on, maybe that will help out a bit? I think I'll give it a try, worst case I'll return it or sell it. Don't like wasting money, but this was the best solution I've come up with so far.

Someday I need to learn how to weld so I can do something like you're doing, seems like an incredibly useful skill. When I was in my teens I worked at a golf course and they had a shop to repair carts, if I had been smarter I would have tried to pick some of that up, but I was more interested in getting home to play video games.

I extended my bumper out.  I was replacing the U channel one for a square tube one so I could place my waste hose in.  I know yours is nothing like mine but here is how I decided how much I was willing to load up on back.  I took the thing to a truck scale and had it weighed.  I had stripped out stuff and added stuff and really didn't have a baseline.  Long & short, I am within the GVWR albeit by only 40lbs but that is fully loaded with my wife and I.  We have actually since removed a bunch of stuff that we really don't use like the microwave and TV and lightened up the kitchen stuff.  The fishing gear we've added no way equals it.

There is always the concern about how the load is distributed but some of that can be shifted.  We started moving stuff forward like the loaded cooler we carry went from being stowed in the shower to upfront behind the truck seats.  Makes a nice step up to the berth to.  If you are asking how much weight to add, perhaps it could be useful to know how much you weigh now.  Load it up with what you plan to carry and compare with your GVRW

cat_scale.jpg

Edited by Back East Don

I had a huge 60 lbs steel one and it broke my bumper, which i then had to jack up and weld and it was pain in the arse. So now I too run the aluminum Harbor Freight one like Linda. My old steel one gets used on other vehicles.

x3 Harbor Freight aluminum carrier

Alright, I'll heed the collective wisdom of the forum and go get the aluminum Harbor Freight one. I wanted to optimize space buy putting the gen in front to back, but I suppose that doesn't matter if I can't use the additional space without overloading my rig.

Edited by Kale

They both need a class 3 hitch, the aluminum carrier capacity is 500 lbs

Not sure what class my hitch is. Seems to be welded pretty solidly to the frame.

Took this photo yesterday after I got it put together. Doesn't show anything about this hitch, just thought it might be of interest if anyone else was looking at the Champion generator and this rack.

BTW, I bought it refurb off eBay for 600 shipped from this seller. From what I've read it's the same internally as the more common yellow Champion, except that is has covers for the sockets and a cigarette lighter style 12V output instead of the "\  /" shaped socked. Only weird thing about it is that it came with the gas tank about half full, didn't think that was allowed.

IMG_2733.jpg

that would be correct, it is against the law to ship machines with combustible fuel. Most people on ebay just do it anyway, not knowing that they may even be committing a felony if its USPS...Of course, they can always just say that they were unaware of the law; that excuse seems to work for our potential leaders these days when confronted with violations.

Just curious.. but your RV seems to be missing a rear bumper... That too would be illegal in some states such as Michigan and could garner a ticket with a writ of repair required in 20 days to evade the fine.

On my Sunrader I actually set the generator on the bumper and wedge it between rear wall and the HF cargo carrier, which grants the entire cargo carrier to house the electric scooters we use to fetch groceries.

Edited by Totem

1 hour ago, Totem said:

Just curious.. but your RV seems to be missing a rear bumper... That too would be illegal in some states such as Michigan and could garner a ticket with a writ of repair required in 20 days to evade the fine.

Yeah, no bumper. I never really thought about it before. It would be nice to have one that could store the sewer hose, but I'll probably defer that for now and take my chances with the law.

IMG_2734.jpg

technically the cargo hitch carrier might be good enough to be considered a bumper.

On the bright side, your rig weighs less because of its missing a bumper which means in turn, the capacity to have more in the carrier :)

Edited by Totem

I thnk you will find the carrier wobbles a lot. I installed a this leaf spring on each end that I shaped to rest on the top of my bumper, made it more stable.

;) of course you aint got no bumper

Actually no, it will not WME... the HF carrier has an extra bolt that tightens against the hitch shaft making the whole assembly rigid; a vast improvement over lesser carriers. :)