Toyota Chinook

Chinooking

I want to paint the wood inside my Chinook with regular house paint from Kelly Moore paints, but someone told me that I need special odorless paint because otherwise I will not be able to get rid of paint smell.  Its been painted before with an ugly shade of pink by previous owner but I don't smell paint odor.  Any ideas or suggestions?

1 hour ago, Chinooking said:

I want to paint the wood inside my Chinook with regular house paint from Kelly Moore paints, but someone told me that I need special odorless paint because otherwise I will not be able to get rid of paint smell.  Its been painted before with an ugly shade of pink by previous owner but I don't smell paint odor.  Any ideas or suggestions?

latex or oil based paint?  Latex will have a lingering smell for only a few days but oil will linger a bit longer.  If latex and you are sensitive to solvents ask the paint store if it is low VOC (volatile organic compound) latex paint.  If it is low VOC you should only at worse have that ammonia like smell that latex does often.  Air it out for a few days while it dries and it should be Ok.

When we originally built our house I chose all latex including the wood floor coatings.  When it came time to refinish 15 years later my wife insisted we use oil base because someone told her it was better.  I never win at these kinds of things so oil it was.  Every day when I came home I smelled the oil finish for two months.  Didn't bother my wife but I've got the sensitive nose.

In my motorhome when I rebuilt the berth, I used epoxy waterproof paint and that lingered for a couple months.

Edited by Back East Don

Thanks for your thoughts Back East Don, I really appreciate it.  I only use latex base paint because oil base is kind of hard to work with and hard to clean up afterwards. Kelly Moore does have an organic paint, so I'll ask them about it.  Their organic paint is kind of new so they are kind of limited on the colors.  Maybe they now have more colors in the organic paint.  I was thinking about painting it in two shades of light gray.  A bit darker gray below the counter walls and a bit lighter the walls above the counter to give it a two tone color. combination.  Maybe somebody has another idea as to a color.  I don't think all white would look right, but I might be wrong.

• 3 years later...

My friend is 6' 2" and he says he can almost stand up straight. The springs holding the top up can be weak sometimes and they are slightly lower. Your going to have to go see one sometime. Only way to really know if you would be comfortable and really the only way to buy something that old. Some sellers can glorify a garbage dump so you have to be careful and always inspect

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

My friend is 6' 2" and he says he can almost stand up straight. The springs holding the top up can be weak sometimes and they are slightly lower. Your going to have to go see one sometime. Only way to really know if you would be comfortable and really the only way to buy something that old. Some sellers can glorify a garbage dump so you have to be careful and always inspect

Linda S

Thank-you for the response Linda.

It sounds like it might work for me. Nice to get some 'specs' on it before I go see it.  There would have been no point if I found out it had low head-space.

The one I"m thinking about is a '77 with the 20R motor which the only says he's kept up with the maintenance.

It has a bit of fibreglass damage on the front of the roof, so hopefully it's not too bad.

Also wondering if anyone has put a toilet into one?

Most likely going to remodel it to suit our needs.  

Wife and I want a big bed, a fridge, and a toilet.  Pretty minimal, but after years of RV'ing we've narrowed down what we really "need" for a run-about RV..