Well everyone, my daughter moved to Tucson and I purchased this for her.  She lived in it for 6 months and loved it.  We drove from Charlotte to Tucson then to LA and back to Charlotte.  Ran like a new vehicle.  Absolutely the greatest vehicle I've ever owned.  The owner had the engine and trans. completely overhauled - new heads, new cab AC, new belts, hoses, new tires brakes - all completely re-done.  But the camper portion was heavily water damaged.  I knew that if the engine and trans was good for crossing the country back and forth, I could gut and remodel the inside and outside.   I did a quick repair on some plumbing as well as a new hot water heater and leak repair - making it nice and cozy for my daughter's 6 month residence.  Now I'm going to begin to overhaul this beauty inside and out so that my wife and I can enjoy it together.  I will post pictures and my comments as I go.  Hopefully I will get most of the work done before September, 2016.  

QUESTIONS:

1.  ALUMINUM SIDING:  Advice on restoring the aluminum siding from those who have done it.  What is the best way to repair fairly significant hail damage?  If I need to replace some aluminum siding, where do I purchase it?

2.  SHOWER DOOR:  I'd like to install a shower door to replace the curtain.  Has anyone made one of these or retrofitted something?

3.  INSIDE DECOR:  Should I try to restore the inside original or gut it and go with a contemporary look?

4.  BUNK AREA REBUILD:  The bunk area is completely rotted from water damage so I must rebuild.  Any suggestions here - pitfalls, things to do, avoid etc?  As in the above question, where do I purchase the aluminum under-siding.  It is rusted substantially with many rust pinholes etc....

5.  ADDING WINDOW:  Does anyone have any experience cutting a new hole for a window and adding one?  I'd like to add a window in the bunk bed area for better ventilation.

?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc

Edited by Mohave
New pictures and information

I have an 87 319RB which if not the same should be similar.  I discovered in rebuilding mine that aluminum is fun to work with.  Prep if very different than steel or fiberglass.  A number of my posts involve much of what you are looking to do.

Advice on where to start, the roof.  Any work you do is likely to be damaged if the roof is not water tight.  If the berth is rotted, the water came from above.  I patched mine and chased leaks for a couple of years and eventually took the nuclear option last year and stripped it down.  In doing so I found a the aluminum had more pin holes than could be counted.  I repaired it, replaced everything up top, then sealed it with liquid EPDM rubber.

Sept is a short time away and don't underestimate the amount of work involved. I'd put together a triage list in order of importance.  Roof then berth would be top on my list.  Sealing any outside damage and leaks on the sides and trim right after that.  Maybe make sure all the house systems work before doing anything.  Everything beyond that is in the would like to do category.

Window?  I'd add a larger vent above the berth as in RV skylight.  That would also bring in more light and heat.  Might be great at night but not so much during the day perhaps.

The aluminum under the berth can probably be sourced at a local sheet metal shop.  You'll have to paint it after first prepping it with self etching primer.  Like I said, surface prep with aluminum is key.  Otherwise things won't stick to it.  Repair work involved sanding then either marine epoxy to patch holes or self etching primer then body filler.  Filler directly to the aluminum will not bond.

Take it one project at a time and you will find this board more than helpful.  Also avail yourself of the search.  To narrow your search down, place strings in quotation marks.  It will yield better results.

On July 12, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Mohave said:

Well everyone, my daughter moved to Tucson and I purchased this for her.  She lived in it for 6 months and loved it.  We drove from Charlotte to Tucson then to LA and back to Charlotte.  Ran like a new vehicle.  Absolutely the greatest vehicle I've ever owned.  The owner had the engine and trans. completely overhauled - new heads, new cab AC, new belts, hoses, new tires brakes - all completely re-done.  But the camper portion was heavily water damaged.  I knew that if the engine and trans was good for crossing the country back and forth, I could gut and remodel the inside and outside.   I did a quick repair on some plumbing as well as a new hot water heater and leak repair - making it nice and cozy for my daughter's 6 month residence.  Now I'm going to begin to overhaul this beauty inside and out so that my wife and I can enjoy it together.  I will post pictures and my comments as I go.  Hopefully I will get most of the work done before September, 2016.  

QUESTIONS:

1.  ALUMINUM SIDING:  Advice on restoring the aluminum siding from those who have done it.  What is the best way to repair fairly significant hail damage?  If I need to replace some aluminum siding, where do I purchase it?

2.  SHOWER DOOR:  I'd like to install a shower door to replace the curtain.  Has anyone made one of these or retrofitted something?

3.  INSIDE DECOR:  Should I try to restore the inside original or gut it and go with a contemporary look?

4.  BUNK AREA REBUILD:  The bunk area is completely rotted from water damage so I must rebuild.  Any suggestions here - pitfalls, things to do, avoid etc?  As in the above question, where do I purchase the aluminum under-siding.  It is rusted substantially with many rust pinholes etc....

5.  ADDING WINDOW:  Does anyone have any experience cutting a new hole for a window and adding one?  I'd like to add a window in the bunk bed area for better ventilation.

BELOW I AM SHOWING THE PROGRESS OF THE REBUILD AS I GO.  

?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dcSome pictures before I started.?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dcCosmetically, things seemed ok but underneath was a lot of damage.?ui=2&ik=72f79142c4&view=fimg&th=155e0dc

-1.jpgThese pictures are out of order sorry.  This is demolition day.  Totally gutted the overhead cab bunk area.

-3.jpgThis is the new aluminum roof/floor area and bunk area being fitted.

-4.jpgThis is the new aluminum roof/floor area and bunk floor before initial fitting.  (It was important to me to do all the work on my own.  But I need to advise (per the advise of Back East Don) that what I did w/ these seams can be professionally accomplished by a professional HVAC individual or another metal worker who can make interlocking, reversed seams.  In fact, the entire aluminum piece can be fabricated by a professional for those who would prefer to take that route.)

IMG_1396.jpgGutted cab and bunk area due to considerable water damage.

IMG_1397.jpgGutted bunk area before extraction.

IMG_1399.jpgDamage in refrigerator compartment

IMG_1400.jpgWater damage of ceiling

IMG_1401.jpgWater damage in bathroom

IMG_1417.jpgExtracted aluminum cab overhead (notice rust holes) now being used as template for 1/4 inch sheet of ply.

IMG_1418.jpgFoam ready for gluing

IMG_1419.jpgMeasuring out an additional inch each side of aluminum template so that complete bunk piece can be screwed to metal framing.

IMG_1420.jpgLaminated bunk piece with sheet of aluminum for fitting.

IMG_1421.jpgAluminum sheets glued down with double aluminum seams with double marine epoxy seams.

IMG_1422.jpgRoughed out aluminum seam

IMG_1423.jpgAluminum sheeting that I used

IMG_1424.jpgFavorite adhesives - Gorilla Construction adhesive for foam/ply/aluminum lamination.  Marine epoxy for aluminum seams.

IMG_1429.jpgCompleted laminated floor with aluminum skin (please see my comments above on the duplicate picture re: using a professional to create overlapping seams.)

IMG_1430.jpgFirst fitting of floor and new aluminum skin.

IMG_1435.jpgThe laminate:  Top, 1 sheet 1/4 inch ply; middle, 1/2inch foam; bottom 1/4 inch ply; aluminum skin.  The black piece is a steel brace.

Edited by Mohave
adding information

Thank you, Back East Don.  I have three more days off to get the floor in and seal things well.  Then I'll be working more slowly.  This has been very educational and I've enjoyed every minute! JEH

Too late now but you could have probably found a sheet metal (think HVAC duct work fabricator) guy who could have done interlocking seams to the aluminum to join them then trim them to size on a sheet metal brake.  Posting as it might help out the next guy looking for an idea.

On July 20, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Back East Don said:

Too late now but you could have probably found a sheet metal (think HVAC duct work fabricator) guy who could have done interlocking seams to the aluminum to join them then trim them to size on a sheet metal brake.  Posting as it might help out the next guy looking for an idea.

You are absolutely right and I know a good HVAC guy.  It was important to me to do this job on my own.  But I am going to add your input to my post for those who may want to use your advice.  JEH

I'm real proud of my seams but I added what you suggested because that option is certainly more professional.  Thank you again for your input, Back East Don! JEH

8 hours ago, Mohave said:

It was important to me to do this job on my own.

I totally get that.  You'll get various suggestions and opinions on this forum but in the end, you are the guy doing the work, so pick what works best for you.  People put a lot of themselves into these and that seems to be the appeal.  They are old and relatively cheap.  So they make a good palette to be creative which is enhanced when you get to spend time in them.

When I bought this RV, I knew it had bad water damage.  The original owner's wife had died and he let it set outside, unused for over a decade.  His mechanic, who had done all of the maintenance on it since it was new, bought it from that owner shortly before he died.  The mechanic rebuilt the engine, transmission, fixed the leaks, new cab air, new water pump, etc....But after a few months of ownership he needed to sell due to severe health problems.  I had been looking for this very thing:  This model of Toyota w/ a good engine and trans but something I could work on.  It has taken me to LA and back from Charlotte, NC humming like a bird mechanically.  A friend of mine in Tucson who is an RV mechanic put in a new hot water heater for me and re-did the wiring w/ new power supply and breaker box.  So now the slow fun is left.  

• 1 month later...

I got delayed with my project with an electrical problem that you can read about.  But I got it all fixed thanks to the advice of many. Then I had an accident.  Thankfully, no one was injured.  I was driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff on a cross country trip home from LA and came upon an accident where vehicle parts were all over the road.  I was forced to run over someone's battery and some other stuff and it severed my high pressure line to the AC; ripped a hole in the exhaust pipe; ripped up the catalytic converter, and completed ripped out my gray and black water waste system pipes and valves.  All that at going only 25 mph.  I was able to tape things up and drove on to my home in Charlotte.  Drove at night to avoid heat.  

Below, please find the pictures of these repairs.  I had a friend of mine do the AC repair because I don't have equipment for that.  I had Midas weld up a section of pipe w/ a flange on one end and flare on other (they wouldn't charge me so I paid the guy $10).  Bought a new catalytic converter from O'Reilly's - $150.00 and did all of that repair in about 4 hours.  The estimate from a professional was $600-$800ish.  So I saved a little but learned a lot.  She runs quiet as my wife's 2011 Honda.  Truly does. 

Then I went to the web and priced out new 3" valves and flanges; went to Lowes and bought 3" pipe and a T along with two 3" rubber pipe connectors.  Now, full disclosure, it took me 3 freakin' weeks to figure out what these valves were called how the heck to find flanges - etc....Interestingly, two professionals at the parts department of a nationally known RV repair store had no idea.  They got it all wrong.  Soooo I realized being a novice isn't so bad after all.  I bought and returned and tried on parts and whatnot until I had it right.  I was able to locate a schematic of my model on the internet which gave me an illustration of exactly what I needed.  Everything is leak proof and flushes and drains beautifully. 

And remember - if I can do this stuff, anyone can.  

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-6.jpg

So then, after being delayed by over a month with electrical, plumbing, and exhaust issues (learned so much, though, I really had a blast!!) I got back to work rebuilding the inside.  Here's some pictures of my progress.  I made a magazine rack and a little shelving unit - all out of 1/8' ply.  I rebuilt a section of the inside roof and also began adding trim to my liking.  More later

unnamed-7.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

Edited by Mohave
misspell