Hair/hare brained idea begins

1 hour ago, Back East Don said:

And how would a piece of spring steel be different?  Same principal.

OK I confess,  I would have order and pay for curb feelers,  I should be able to find a piece of spring steel for free. There you got it out of me.  Free and "adapted for" more suits my Tinker past lives. 

People use to call me cheap,  I got soooo depressed when I found out it was not a compliment.                             Jim

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:43 PM, Back East Don said:

Probably in the recording studio.  Built my first one in the 70's

At Home

studio_lg_02.jpg

At Work

control_a.jpg

On the road

attheoffice2.jpg

oldrig.jpg

Know any body who needs a TEAC X-20R w/DBX

5 hours ago, WME said:

Know any body who needs a TEAC X-20R w/DBX

I've got my own analog stuff like mastering and multi-track to liquidate as I won't be rebuilding the studio once I move.  The good news is analog is pretty collectable though not sure of the value of the Teac.  The Studer stuff seems to be hot though.

I did only a little recording, but a lot of listening, maybe soon direct to disc and DBX records will be worth enough to get a new Toy RV:D

I am struggling along here, I started having some issues with the Honda, sitting for years with occasional usage has gummed up the works. A friend insisted that Seafoam would clean it right up and gave me a bottle, was OK for a while then I thought the gen set was going to blow up, it was running nasty bad, had to be the Seafoam.  Drained the gas and cleaned the carb and fuel filter, much better but still not right? I am getting a hunting/surging at idle.

I am also having some heat buildup issues  in my design but now suspect it may be due to the mighty little Honda running bad.  I am going to do a bit more experimenting this morning and may have to buy a larger fan.

Almost 900 views on this thread I can't help but wonder who all is watching it?  Are there "Viewbot's"

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

Yes viewbots are always watching. Sampling from all major search engines and some other more unsavory places plus a ton of interested parties who just haven't joined yet. I try to keep an eye on whose viewing. When Google answers every question in the universe they have to know where to find that answer. Some of them they get right here

Sorry your project isn't going more smoothly.

Linda S

33 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

I am struggling along here, I started having some issues with the Honda, sitting for years with occasional usage has gummed up the works. A friend insisted that Seafoam would clean it right up

I've yet to figure why so many seem to think Seafoam has magical properties.  Great marketing, it seems.  All it is is Naptha oil.  I see it's claims similar to rebuilding an engine with Bon Ami soap-powder (used to be a common practice).

A comment on Asian generators.  At least most I've been in contact with.  For reasons I cannot fully explain, I find that even with the best of care, fresh gas every year, drain before put-away or Stabil added - they have problems after storage.  On many Hondas, Yamahas, Subarus, and a myriad of Chinese off-brands - I have to pull the carb bowl off near every season.  Then blow compressed air through ever tiny orifice, and and then all works fine.  Let it sit for a year or so and have to do it all over again. Not just generators either.  Near all small Asian engines I've worked on.  I have a lawn-mower I got new three years ago that I kind of liked when first saw it because of how "coventionally old fashioned" it is.  I.e., it has a simple carb and a real choke with a choke-knob you have to pull out to start when cold.   Well?  Same deal.  I have to pull the bowl off in the spring and blow out with air.   All I can figure is the Asian carbs have more, and smaller orifices/passage-ways that plug easier then some American-made stuff (if there IS any anymore).  THAT being said -  I bought a brand new log-splitter this spring.  I had a choice of a American-made Kohler or a Honda engine.  I chose the Kohler.  Three were on the lot at the Tractor Supply Store and NONE would start.  All with Kohler engines.  Ended up doing the same sort of nonsense.  Took it home (with a promise to quickly return if I could not get it running) .  Pulled the bowl off, blew out everything - and then it started up and ran. Note that the carb on the Kohler engine is made in China.

I hear many people now blame the 10?% ethanol for all their woes - even ruined engines.   ????  Even someone posted here how they "ruined their Toyota" with ethanol gas.  I find that hard to be true.   I have around 20 chainsaws kept at four different locations.    When I get cutting serious wood - I use three saws, all day long and switch between one to the other so they can cool down.  I have had a few stored up to three years with old gas.  Most get new gas every year but all sit all winter without being used (no more winter wood-cutting for me).  All have the 10% ethanol gas and I've had zero problems with starting or running.  Why no problems yet I had issues in generators and lawn-mowers?  I figure it's the bowl-type carbs.  Chainsaws all have diaphram carbs with no fuel-bowls. Well, at least those made since WWII?

I'm sure someone will post now how they never, ever, have issues with a Honda generator.  All I can say is - that's fine. Not the case with everyone.   I know some people pay extra for pure gasoline and maybe that makes a difference?   Gas station at a city near me sells it and it costs a full $1 more per gallon - just to get something without corn alcohol in it. Not something I'm willing to do yet.

I just changed-over my 4000 watt Subaru generator from gas to LP gas - just to avoid further issues with carb-cleaning.  

Oh no, I'm simply not having that the Unicorn horn fell off. Surely it will grow a new horn. :)

all my small engines would be considered "abused" by this forum. My predator generator i dont keep very clean, it has oil n gas spilt on it, and has been towed on open trailers in the winter and salt sprayed. It runs like a champ starts first pull every time.

My secret? I run it. all the time. we use thing all over. camping, cabins, air compressor out in the field. sometimes i will just run it for fun. On my other gear like weed wipers i just would put stabil in it and run it till i saw blue smoke and shut it down.

The only gas engines i ruined ever from dirty carbs were my old yamaha VT-480 ventures that sat in my garage unused for 3 years after my firstborn arrived with old gas. when i fired them up they ran like crap and melted psistons because i had to run em choked.

sea foam didnt fix those either.

1 hour ago, jdemaris said:

I've yet to figure why so many seem to think Seafoam has magical properties.  Great marketing, it seems.  All it is is Naptha oil.  I see it's claims similar to rebuilding an engine with Bon Ami soap-powder (used to be a common practice).

A comment on Asian generators.  At least most I've been in contact with.  For reasons I cannot fully explain, I find that even with the best of care, fresh gas every year, drain before put-away or Stabil added - they have problems after storage.  On many Hondas, Yamahas, Subarus, and a myriad of Chinese off-brands - I have to pull the carb bowl off near every season.  Then blow compressed air through ever tiny orifice, and and then all works fine.  Let it sit for a year or so and have to do it all over again. Not just generators either.  Near all small Asian engines I've worked on.  I have a lawn-mower I got new three years ago that I kind of liked when first saw it because of how "coventionally old fashioned" it is.  I.e., it has a simple carb and a real choke with a choke-knob you have to pull out to start when cold.   Well?  Same deal.  I have to pull the bowl off in the spring and blow out with air.   All I can figure is the Asian carbs have more, and smaller orifices/passage-ways that plug easier then some American-made stuff (if there IS any anymore).  THAT being said -  I bought a brand new log-splitter this spring.  I had a choice of a American-made Kohler or a Honda engine.  I chose the Kohler.  Three were on the lot at the Tractor Supply Store and NONE would start.  All with Kohler engines.  Ended up doing the same sort of nonsense.  Took it home (with a promise to quickly return if I could not get it running) .  Pulled the bowl off, blew out everything - and then it started up and ran. Note that the carb on the Kohler engine is made in China.

I hear many people now blame the 10?% ethanol for all their woes - even ruined engines.   ????  Even someone posted here how they "ruined their Toyota" with ethanol gas.  I find that hard to be true.   I have around 20 chainsaws kept at four different locations.    When I get cutting serious wood - I use three saws, all day long and switch between one to the other so they can cool down.  I have had a few stored up to three years with old gas.  Most get new gas every year but all sit all winter without being used (no more winter wood-cutting for me).  All have the 10% ethanol gas and I've had zero problems with starting or running.  Why no problems yet I had issues in generators and lawn-mowers?  I figure it's the bowl-type carbs.  Chainsaws all have diaphram carbs with no fuel-bowls. Well, at least those made since WWII?

I'm sure someone will post now how they never, ever, have issues with a Honda generator.  All I can say is - that's fine. Not the case with everyone.   I know some people pay extra for pure gasoline and maybe that makes a difference?   Gas station at a city near me sells it and it costs a full $1 more per gallon - just to get something without corn alcohol in it. Not something I'm willing to do yet.

I just changed-over my 4000 watt Subaru generator from gas to LP gas - just to avoid further issues with carb-cleaning.  

Well JD time for a long story.   I have had expensive weed wacker and cheap weed wacker, I only buy the cheap ones now and every 2 years they start running funny. The carbs are too small for me to deal with and new carbs are as much as a new weed wacker.  Some are sealed so cannot be serviced.   I'm sure there is a Youtube video on how to service them but I threw them out and got a new one. A new cheap one is $50 to $80 and lawn service is $80 month so if I can get 2 years out of one I'm waaaay ahead.

A few years back my neighbor was going to throw out a almost new chainsaw because it would not start and asked me if I wanted it.   I noticed it was less than a year old and mentioned it was still under warranty. He said he did not care it was mine or in the trash it goes.  He said  one of his employees had left it sitting with fuel in it.

So I run it over tho the local small engine service place where it was bought and explain what is wrong.  They tell me that ethanol has gummed up the carb and it is not a warranty repair. They went on o tell me that it is not the manufacturers problem that the gas is no good. I inquired as to the cost of fixing and it was a little less than a new one.  I do not remember the brand but was a low end saw so better to buy a new one with warranty, which they likely won't honor. 

This stuck in my craw and the next time my weedwacker bit the dust. I bought a re manufactured one online for $50 including shipping. The price tells us this is not a high quality unit but a cheap low end Homelite.

I also bought a can of gas,  this new stuff they are selling in quart cans, it is high octane, no ethanol with preservatives added.  Seems foolish add's up to $24 gallon!  But I only use in the wacker at most 2 cans a year.  I know I could buy gas and add magic elixers and save a few bucks, but I really don't want to mess with it. I would be buying a can of snake oil and a gallon of gas that would last 2 years!  I buy my lawnmower gas in small quantity's, no more than 2 gallons during growing season and usually 1 gallon at a time, inconvenient at times, I always leave a few ounces in the can to get the mower back in the shed.  I have had to have my lawnmower carb cleaned 1 time in the 5 years I have owned it and it was used when I bough it.

So the point of this yarn is my $50 weedwacker is now 3 years old and still running strong.  So is the expensive gas working or did I get the anomaly in weed wacker, like the Energizer Bunny, will it keep going and going even though it has nothing to do with the gas?

Also has me thinking about the Honda, the carb did not look dirty.  The fuel filter did not look dirty, but when I started cleaning the filter the  gas I was using became very cloudy, the filter had to be scummy.  This is a 5/6 year old gen that has had almost no use, the tank was emptied and the unit was run dry after each use.  So has me thinking about buying the non ethanol gas for the last use of the Honda,  non ethanol is available in FL for boats but $$$$.   Well time to go fire up the genset and see if my work has paid off.   Jim SW FL

What I've started doing with the 2c engines in the RC models (50-125cc) Walbro carbs. Is the caned gas for storage, fly on the regular unleaded, drain the tank and run the engine on the canned stuff for a few minutes and then drain the tank and put the plane away for the winter. Lot less rebuilding things in the spring.

54 minutes ago, WME said:

What I've started doing with the 2c engines in the RC models (50-125cc) Walbro carbs. Is the caned gas for storage, fly on the regular unleaded, drain the tank and run the engine on the canned stuff for a few minutes and then drain the tank and put the plane away for the winter. Lot less rebuilding things in the spring.

I was thinking the high octane ethanol free for the Honda, but after the last use, canned gas should work as well.  

Rolling right along today, the box is mounted and bolted down with vibration dampers. The wires are wired and all the lights work, looking good! Till a closer exam shows what I missed!

I have been struggling with a overheating issue with the genset running in the box.  It was in the garage sitting on concrete blocks, I threw in the towel and ordered a 7 inch 12V radiator fan which throws my whole design off and my friends at NASA are not going to be happy that their precious Pleiades was a wee tad off:lol:.  After mounting I put the Honda in the box and fire it up and my heat issue went away, I have looked this over, poked an prodded and am completely and totally baffled! 

The window AC is exceeding my expectations, it is 92° out and 78° in the center of the bed, sitting in full Florida sun, with the AC in energy saver mode. I could likely drop the temp a bit but not needed today.

Have not found my spring steel, seems most are using plastic straps.   I called my buddy Fred to see if he had any ideas, he told me I worry to much and complicate everything. His memory is not that good,  he already forgot that he bottomed out his Sunraider last year and damaged the hitch, cost him $250 to get it fixed. 

After doing odd's and end's projects for many years I am always surprised by the things I miss, miss measure, reverse, misinterpret, forget and just plain get wrong, but such is the life of a guinea pig. 

IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

OK hows this.... a micro switch with an arm on it mounted below the rack, hookup a relay and place a 110db horn behind the driver seat :P

If I had more time I would

2 hours ago, WME said:

OK hows this.... a micro switch with an arm on it mounted below the rack, hookup a relay and place a 110db horn behind the driver seat :P

If I had more time I would do some Rube Goldburgish thing:sorcerer:

4 hours ago, Totem said:

im curious why outdoor is indoor and indoor outdoor on the display. also will this be used while driving>?

It is because the outdoor part is indoor and the indoor part is outdoors, such is the nature of things Grasshopper.  

The jury is out on used while driving, There may be vacuumes and vortex's and back pressures and such that make it unusable while driving.  If not I will use it while driving.   Jim

Just info. I use a remote indoor/outdoor setup for the refer. Inside is RV temp and outdoor is refer temp.

39 minutes ago, WME said:

Just info. I use a remote indoor/outdoor setup for the refer. Inside is RV temp and outdoor is refer temp.

Ancient Chinese wisdom to check if freezer stays frozen long term, freeze a container of water, put a coin on top.  If coin is on the bottom when checked, freezer thawed. 

Sounds a lot like the weather rock I carried around the world. Kept it at the door to the weather briefing tent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_rock

Edited by WME

Well after several missteps and a few DCE I think I have a setup I am comfortable with.  It will not overheat at idle without running the fan,but I do not trust it! I believe any interference wind, vacuum etc would cause the genset to overheat.  I added a switch to control the fan as it runs too loud and full  speed is not needed.

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0902_censored.jpg

IMG_0903_censored.jpg

1 minute ago, jjrbus said:

Probably not, I just enjoy working on them :D

I just priced out our dream fishing boat today.  It's from a company called Pacific.  Seems I cannot get enough of aluminum.  $109K without electronics and the base Honda (yes not everyone hates this company) 225HP outboard.  No such thing as landing one of these used. Easier to find a 4x4 Sunrader in perfect showroom condition.

I may have to come out of semi-retirement.  Wife says for fishing, she can give up having a motorhome.  So go camping while you can.

9 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

I just priced out our dream fishing boat today.  It's from a company called Pacific.  Seems I cannot get enough of aluminum.  $109K without electronics and the base Honda (yes not everyone hates this company) 225HP outboard.  No such thing as landing one of these used. Easier to find a 4x4 Sunrader in perfect showroom condition.

I may have to come out of semi-retirement.  Wife says for fishing, she can give up having a motorhome.  So go camping while you can.

We should be out of here soon on a 3 month trip if POP$ does not fall apart, I would have liked to been out of here a few weeks ago, but it is what it is.

Don't let the Trolls know you are going for a Honda.    You wont hear the end of it!          Jim

funny, only trolls i see are falsely reporting HF failures to try and make a 1600 sound better... ;)

cant wait for them to post that their 1600 magically fired the rooftop and then tell me they have no cell phone to video it.

Edited by Totem

I for one, love trolling.  Sadly dream boat is going to have to wait but we may decide go the used route.

What said dream boat looks like.  This is the kind of boat that is purpose built and doesn't require the owner be enslaved to its care like fiberglass.  1/4 inch marine aluminum alloy bottom.  Thing is a tank.

boat.jpg

Edited by Back East Don