Black water tank remove and replace

Has anyone here taken out the bw tank of a Sunrader shorty and gotten it back in without breaking anything? I need to get mine out of the way in order to get a leaf spring off.

Please help!  Thanks.

Doug

Go to the search function on his site and search "Sunrader black tank". Lots of stuff comes up, some useful, some not. Read them all. You need to remove your toilet and shower drain and then you need to cut the plumbing vent in the closet down as low as you can but still leaving room for a connecter to re-glue when you put the tank back in. Buy a new shower drain and toilet seal and flange  to have on hand. There is one post where a member said he was able to reach the spring bolts by pushing his black tank up somehow. Sounds dicey to me. If you just crack it a little it can be fixed. If you smash the hell out of it they still make that exact tank for $250 bucks. I did see where Turtle the owner of the Yahoo Toyota group removed his for spring work in 2008. I know you've asked on that group and he has never answered you. Maybe he forgot what he did. Seems weird to me he's always so helpful. Just do it.

Linda S

One other thing. I think it's possible that if the toilet and shower drain are removed you might be able to rotate the tank away from the springs and not have to cut the vent pipe. Worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...

I did mine don't know if is to late you have to do what Linda said.i cut mine under the flange half way between the tank a PVC coupler fits great  undo the shower drain, that's the only way to get the bolt out of the spring.

• 1 month later...

I have nothing to add to this, but in a related issue my black water tank has the valve broken off (that way when I bought it) any ideas on how to attach some kind of replacement valve?

If the valve is broken then a new valve is easy. If the tank neck is damaged then the previous post may work. If the tank is shattered then home made abs goo and fiberglass cloth may be enough. Other wise its a new tank.

I think I have it figured out,I can glue in a piece of 3" O.D. pipe in the broken off flange opening. Then put on a slip fit flange to bolt the new valve on to then I'm home free! And I don't have to remove the tank. Yah!

Edited by sonny sunrader