Fresh Water Tank

Newbie here. Not sure if discussed previously but does anyone drink the water from their 30 year old fresh water tank? I've sanitized my tank per Linda's instructions but still not sure. Hate to lug around bottled water! Perhaps some type of stand alone filter? Any suggestions? Thanks! Mark

I was a bit hesitant when I first got mine even though I had sanitized and flushed the hell out of it.  Most trips these days are short and I am going through a single tank of water that is coming from my well.  I drink that everyday.  So I've pretty much gotten over it.  I make coffee and cook with it.  Still drink bottled water but only because I can keep it in the fridge so it is cold.

As to filters, there are those you can use in-line when you hook up.  Water quality is pretty good here in the northeast.  State of MA requires any public water supplier periodically test and quality must meet standards.  My experience has been pretty good overall with water.  I've not felt the need for a filter. 

In the end, go with what you are comfortable with but if you regularly sanitize the system after it has been stored, it's unlikely it'll kill you.

We do now.  but each year after flushing out the pink RV antifreeze I give it a treatment with chlorine bleach and then flush that twice.  It was the third year before taste was ok and we started to drink it.  This spring I added a new step, giving it a treatment with hydrogen peroxide after the antifreeze but before the bleach.  After the second rinse following the bleach the water tasted fine.

If I can drink the water in my house that goes through miles and miles of pipes that have never been cleaned, I think I can drink the water out of my old Dolphin. The water I put in is chlorinated. Has there really been any examples of people getting sick from RV water? Now if you're in Flint, Michigan...

I use my camper water but treating it is pretty much a yearly ritual. I do not use antifreeze except in the pump all my lines are blown out but a good dose of chlorine and water then a ride then a drain then purge the lines then fresh water.

My last RV I built from scratch all new tanks and plumbing were installed with a whole house filter. All water entering the RV was filtered on the way in and again as it left the tank.   Once filled from an unknown source, no way no how would I drink it!

Even the people that go through the effort of sanitizing their tanks seldom think to sanitize their hose, I am referring to the fresh water hose that is often kept with the sewer hose!

If you do an archive search one camper found worms in his water.                                 

Gag at the thought that someone keeps their fresh hose with their brown hose... yikes. ive never ever seen anyone do that; and ive seen campers in flint Michigan use the water.

I extended and replaced my rear bumper with a 4" square tube bumper just so I could keep the waste hose as far away from everything else as possible.  Potable water hoses are kept in the cabinet with the water heater.  I just join both ends together after draining then stow them away.  I keep a general purpose hose in another bin but most dumping stations have one for clean out so it sees little use.

I just came back from a 7 day remote camping trip . I fill my tank with chlorinated city water . thus after bleach treating at the start   of the                         season and flushing ,I would never know the difference. I also took 20 gallons more  water  in 4     5 gallon drinking water tanks. with                 which I  twice refilled my tank with a plastic funnel and a 1 gallon bailer.

on another note  you cant belive what some people will do . talk about gross out . we where at a dump station a few years ago. when 2 men walked by one of them picked up the flusher hose that was there  and took a drink from it looked at us and then left . we were floored  . still cant belive that one .

I've never had a problem using the water from my fresh water tank.  We drink it, do the dishes in it and use it just like we would in our home.  Of course, I don't put anti-freeze in the tank itself, only in the lines and then pump it through the system until every faucet and the toilet show red antifreeze coming out.  I just drain the fresh water tank completely and drain the water heater tank as well.  With a bypass kit installed at the water heater tank, no antifreeze gets in there either.  I've owned this '85 Dolphin for over twenty years and I haven't had a problem yet.

John

Thanks Everyone for your comments. Guess I won't die @ least from this:-):-)!

9 hours ago, 5Toyota said:

on another note  you cant belive what some people will do . talk about gross out . we where at a dump station a few years ago. when 2 men walked by one of them picked up the flusher hose that was there  and took a drink from it looked at us and then left . we were floored  . still cant belive that one .

I just dry heaved and mouth puked.. thats all sorts of wrong.

And I was about to eat lunch Man!!