Propane tank replacement

I filled up my horizontal propane tank fill up last week and the attendant told me that the propane tank is rusted on the outside and he won't be be able to refill it next time.  I have a 1991 Odyssey.   I think it is an original tank.   How long does the propane tank last? Do I need to replace it?  If it needs to be replaced,  could you recommend a place in Seattle vicinity?   What would be the cost for tank and installation?

Thank you

Joe

I think Odyssey's have a permanent ASME tank right? They are very expensive to replace. Lightly hand sand it and spray paint it and it will look like new. Then take it somewhere else to refill. If it's a DOT tank that you remove to have filled they are not that expensive. Lots online or Ebay.

Linda S

19 minutes ago, linda s said:

I think Odyssey's have a permanent ASME tank right? They are very expensive to replace. Lightly hand sand it and spray paint it and it will look like new. Then take it somewhere else to refill. If it's a DOT tank that you remove to have filled they are not that expensive. Lots online or Ebay.

Linda S

Thank you for your reply.  There is a ASME labelling on the tank.   How long can this type of tank be used safely?

There are lots of RV's from the 60's with the original tank. As long as the valves open and close properly and the rust is just surface rust it's probably fine. Painting them from time to time protects from more rust issues and I know lots of people who do it.

Linda S

To add to the discussion.  If you went to a place that primarily fill BBQ tanks, it probably explains your encounter.  I've decided to avoid them even if they are cheaper just to avoid the ignorance.  Yes, I pay a premium to avoid stupid.

I take mine to places familiar with RV's.  Never have an issue.

They are exempt. Rusty looking is not a criteria. Go to a camp ground and let them fill it.