help with pricing

mtpeggyb

I found a 1979 toy micro mini motorhome. It is in very poor (!) condition. It will have to be completely gutted and renovated. It is about 18 feet long, has a generator but not sure it works, has roof air, but not sure it works. Fridge hasn't worked for what appears a very long time. It has a rear kitchen (stove, sink, etc) with rear door. It has 2 chairs and a table, a bath with a shower, and a cabover bed. The inside is torn up and it just really needs to have everything done over. The price was dropped from $2300 to #1500 --- which, in my opinion, is still way over the top. I can't find a blue book price and I THINK I want to make an offer, but not until I get some imput from your members. I believe that with all the work that is needed, I would offer him no more than $500 (if that much). It hasn't been moved for months (cobwebs on tires) and tires will need replacing. There are a lot of other things, but this would make it much too long for the forum.

If anyone has any ideas, please tell me. My husband is debilitated and I was looking for a toy micro mini that he could have a rear bed made up all the time, but with a sofa up front for me, and we would use the cabover for food storage, etc. We are senior citizens, money is tight, but I'm willing to put work into a unit that will eventually serve the needs I require for my husband. Can anyone help, please????

I forgot to tell y'all that I've been looking for this type of MH for a long time, but I'm not exactly sure how to check it out so I don't get stung. Women are sometimes taken advantage of (I have been in the past, but have learned a lot recently!)....anyway, does anyone have any ideas of how to gut a MH and start over?

Thanks very much in advance.

Peggy

mtpeggyb@cox.net

Peggy, if you can get it between $500 and $1000, you may get a good buy. But there are a lot of things to consider:

1. Does the engine run, idle and sound ok?

2. Does it have the 6 lug nuts on the rear wheels with the axle sticking out about 4 inches. This is important. If it does not have that then the MH could cause injury and death. It would cost about $2000 to find a used 1 ton rear end and to have it installed.

3. Are there any obvious stains on the ceiling and walls? Can you smell mildew? Leaks can be very expensive to repair.

4. Refrigerators can cost from $800 up.

5. Stoves can be expensive, water heaters $250 to $350 for the cheapest.

6. A good set of tires can run from $350 to $600 or more for 6 tires, they have to be the light truck/van tires and not passenger car tires.

7. Do the brakes work?

8. Does the plumbing work with no leaking holding tanks?

With all of that said, even a motorhome that looks to be in excellent condition can have flaws, it helps if you can do a lot of the work yourself. Just the action of cleaning the exterior and interior can do a lot. I once bought a car for $1500, cleaned and waxed it and sold it a year later for $3500 (the only time I made money on a car) The previous owner couldn't see the jewel because it was dirty.

If you can buy it cheap, you may be surprised what still works and/or may start working again with just a little TLC and cleaning.

I bought my 83 Sunrader several months ago for $3500. It came with a new exhaust system, all new tires, 1 ton axle, color TV, microwave, perfect engine and transmission, both roof and cab AC, and all appliances worked. It only needed a good cleaning inside and out. It had some problems that I discovered that I fixed myself.

So what it boils down to is finding out what works or not. If you make your offer the rule of thumb for a 83 is $3000 (a little more for Sunrader), 82 is $2000, 81 is $1500, 80 is $1000 and any year below starts at $1000 if it's in fair shape and subtract dollars for non-working items. If he is like most people he probably won't go below $1000, but try anyway.

I'm sure others can offer their advice and expertise.

Jerry