2 Chinooks - 1 rare and other cheap

zero

I'd love to have this 1974 Round Tripper to fix up. Price is way high for condition though. I rarely see any of the pre-1975 Toyota Roundtrippers with the lighter frame, ligher rear-axle. narrower cab, and 18R engines. If it was $2000 cheaper and 1500 miles closer - I'd buy it in a flash.

Also a 1978 Toyota Chinook Omega with a very good price. Looks like a great deal for someone who wants a small Toyota.  Too far away for me to fool with.

Image2.jpg

00h0h_aZUgSYNUm3h_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_1WA8ZjCYPuB_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_hkuqBO3V5P9_1200x900.jpg

00T0T_11sd7j5Sv9w_1200x900.jpg

Image3.jpg

00f0f_fDkL0eHFpU1_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_bKnh3TczLdE_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_hP2SDrjzE29_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_9EqY11s8jKq_1200x900.jpg

00202_6hf5TBkdFRi_1200x900.jpg

00505_4BmMjTh9TZB_1200x900.jpg

Seems like with the '74 Micro getting "29+" mpg, with just fuel costs, you could get back your investment in no time. :)  Good thing I passed on a Wyoming trip this month to get engine work done, I'd be on my way to look at that Newport for a nephew. Whew !

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:02 AM, jdemaris said:

I'd love to have this 1974 Round Tripper to fix up. Price is way high for condition though. I rarely see any of the pre-1975 Toyota Roundtrippers with the lighter frame, ligher rear-axle. narrower cab, and 18R engines. If it was $2000 cheaper and 1500 miles closer - I'd buy it in a flash.

Also a 1978 Toyota Chinook Omega with a very good price. Looks like a great deal for someone who wants a small Toyota.  Too far away for me to fool with.

Image2.jpg

00h0h_aZUgSYNUm3h_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_1WA8ZjCYPuB_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_hkuqBO3V5P9_1200x900.jpg

00T0T_11sd7j5Sv9w_1200x900.jpg

Image3.jpg

00f0f_fDkL0eHFpU1_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_bKnh3TczLdE_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_hP2SDrjzE29_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_9EqY11s8jKq_1200x900.jpg

00202_6hf5TBkdFRi_1200x900.jpg

00505_4BmMjTh9TZB_1200x900.jpg

Based on the position of the steering wheel the steering is cranked all the way to one side or someone replaced the pitman arm and failed to line up the index marks.

16 hours ago, fred heath said:

Based on the position of the steering wheel the steering is cranked all the way to one side or someone replaced the pitman arm and failed to line up the index marks.

Can that be done on a Toyota truck? I can't say I ever tried but most Pitman arms on other makes have one spline missing so it will only go on one way.  I know for sure the steering wheel can go on "wrong."  Mine was 30 degrees off on my 78 when I got it.

16 hours ago, ToyoGuy said:

Seems like with the '74 Micro getting "29+" mpg, with just fuel costs, you could get back your investment in no time. :)  Good thing I passed on a Wyoming trip this month to get engine work done, I'd be on my way to look at that Newport for a nephew. Whew !

I suspect "29 MPG" is in Canadian/UK gallons with a wind at your back, coming down a hill. Toyota Chinook and Round Tripper sales ads ran from claims of 29 MPG down to 19 MPG.  Actual road-tests vary too. One came in a 19 MPG and another turned in 24.5 MPG on a long highway trip. I I know my 78 gets 19-20 MPG.    I was reading an article recently about when Winnebago was first introducing it's new diesel Lesharo and claiming near 30 MPG.  It ends up the 30 MPG tests were done at 35 MPH on a flat road.  I DO kind of wonder how the Toyota ads vary so much.  

$_57.JPG

$_57 (1).JPG

chinook-the-convertable-wagon.jpg

chinook-the-versatile-convertible-wagon.jpg

Image2.jpg

toyota-chinook-ad-get-a-camper-free (1).jpg

toyota-chinook-omega-camper.jpg

3 hours ago, jdemaris said:

Can that be done on a Toyota truck? I can't say I ever tried but most Pitman arms on other makes have one spline missing so it will only go on one way.  I know for sure the steering wheel can go on "wrong."  Mine was 30 degrees off on my 78 when I got it.

Hey JD.

Just changed mine last week. PO had the pitman arm on wrong. When I installed mine by factory specs, my steering wheel ended up in the same position.

Apparently the po just adjusted the steering wheel to sit straight. The problem with that is you don't have full range of turning side to side. One side ends up short.

Toyota steering box has a index mark across the mating shaft. Pitman arm also has index marks on them. They have to align for the steering to be correct.

There is no missing spline or keyway. This is why I think a lot of people mess this up.

Makes sense. I just don't recall ever changing one on a Toyota. Just put one on my Dodge truck and that had a blank spot in the splines and only went on one way.  I have a brand new pitman arm sitting in a box for my 78.  Just never needed it yet.  Never even looked at it close.  Kind of a side-track here  - but I just had a discussion with another anthropologist I know (technically speaking I hold that title).  It was about the origin of the word "Pitman."  It came up because I am researching a French surname in France of my great-grandmother.  Her family name was "Bielle." Translated to English that means "connecting rod."  Go back in time a little and it translates to "pitman arm."  Go back a little further and it is two-man saw with the guy at one end being the "pit man."  So, there is some useless trivia to brighten the day.

I'll give you another heads up for future reference. I tried 3 different kinds of pullers to get that pitman arm off. The arm sits so close to the frame rail, you can't get the jaws to lock. Even with the conical puller.

I ended up cutting the arm off with a 4 1/2 grinder with a cutting wheel close to the steering box. Now the puller will work.

On 7/4/2016 at 0:47 PM, fred heath said:

I'll give you another heads up for future reference. I tried 3 different kinds of pullers to get that pitman arm off. The arm sits so close to the frame rail, you can't get the jaws to lock. Even with the conical puller.

I ended up cutting the arm off with a 4 1/2 grinder with a cutting wheel close to the steering box. Now the puller will work.

I got over to my other shop today and took a close look at a couple of 1977 and 1978 Toyota truck steering boxes.  No problem getting a puller on the pitman arm.  Maybe you weren't using a pitman-arm puller?   As to the splines - you are 100% correct. I guess you don't need to tell you that - just letting you know I just learned something new.  I never noticed previously that that pitman arm can be installed in any clock position.

DSCF7237.JPG

DSCF7239.JPG

DSCF7240.JPG

3 hours ago, jdemaris said:

I got over to my other shop today and took a close look at a couple of 1977 and 1978 Toyota truck steering boxes.  No problem getting a puller on the pitman arm.  Maybe you weren't using a pitman-arm puller?   As to the splines - you are 100% correct. I guess you don't need to tell you that - just letting you know I just learned something new.  I never noticed previously that that pitman arm can be installed in any clock position.

DSCF7237.JPG

DSCF7239.JPG

DSCF7240.JPG

JD,

It's easy when the steering box is off the truck.

Try fitting that same puller onto one of your Toyotas with the steering box installed. There is not enough clearance between the frame rail and the pitman arm.

I wish it was as easy as you make it look. ?

I tried two different sizes of the pitman arm puller shown in your photos. Then I ordered one of the cone shaped pitman arm pullers off Amazon , which is susposed to be good for tight spots.......

Still no go. I think Toyota must have made a special tool for the dealerships to use.

Edited by fred heath

Guess I'll find out soon, I've got all new tie-rod ends and a pitman-arm waiting to go on my 1978 when I get a chance. I think I already had my pitman-arm off my 78 when I had it in NY. It was sitting with most the steering linkage pulled apart, front control arms off, front springs out, etc.Just about every moving part was had excessive wear.  Then -  I had to move in a hurry and I threw it all back together without replacing anything so I could drive it onto a trailer. Been using it that way since.  It handles surprisingly well although there is a lot of slop in the steering wheel.  I've got the 1977 and 1977 Toyota chassis manuals here. I'll take a look and see what Toyota shows for a puller.

Good Luck.

It was so frustrating trying to get the puller jaws to center over the shaft. They would almost make it, but not enough to get a solid bite.

Have your cut off tool available. You're going to need it.

• 2 months later...

Hey JD,

Didn't want to start a new thread. I managed to grab a shot of the pitman arm while the truck was on the lift. Its so close to the frame rail that you cant get a regular puller centered on the output shaft. The only other way would be to loosen the steering box itself enough for the puller to work.

026.JPG