Dometic Penguin Roof A/C--

red-ryder

was in Elkhart, yes Indiana, recently shopping 'surplus' stores. was  super-surprised at the number that 'were no longer there'.

saw a neat Carrier low-profile unit, priced $$$ right, cheked service parts support and decided against it. got back home and found a Dometic Penguin II swapped-out unit for half the $$$. but again it is time to get the 'experiences/opinions' from the Forum!

the low profile appeals to me---9 1/2 is really sleek, certainly aerodynamic. after removing the 'shroud' i understand why---a horizontal compressor! never experienced a 'lay-down compressor', in 40 years of building mechanic/maintenance--(refrigeration...ice makers, refrigerators, dehumidifiers, water coolers, deep freezers, PTAC units!)- figger i will ask at the A/C, refrigeration wholesale house tomorrow......

anyone willing to comment, step and fill me in! always willing to learn

RED

Edited by red-ryder
spelling/clarity

My 2012 Lazy Daze has one, we are very happy with it. We use it mostly for the AC and a few times the heat pump, both keep the temp where you set it. The thermostats takes a little figuring out.

Can't help with the AC.  I have not been to Elkhart in years, but consider it Disneyland for the DIY RV'er.    Sorry to hear so many places are no longer there.    Jim