Cleaning roof ac

I had posted some time ago with pictures about a scummy, dirty, plugged roof air evaporator and would have liked to add this to that post but cannot find it?

I just got around to cleaning it,  I have to start at 0 dark 30 in the morning as by 9AM it is too hot on the roof for me. I sprayed it with coil cleaner several times and let it set long time (15 min) in between applications. As I look for other issues I notice the inside of the condenser is cruddy.  I do not have enough coil cleaner to do both so another project goes from a couple hours to several days!

The outside of the condenser(the part you can see) looks ok, it is inside the unit that is gross!    I likely could have done a better job by disassembling and using a coil brush, but good enough for a 22 year old unit.  As bad as the condenser looks it is not that bad compared to the evaporator!  The evaporator was so bad I am surprised the unit worked!!

I should  replace the unit but am a bit of a masochist and would rather do it in a Wal Mart parking lot in Algona, Iowa.    Does Algona have a Wal Mart?

IMG_0814.JPGIMG_0813.JPG

So if your AC is not cooling well it may just need a simple cleaning.  Simple?  several days if you don't plan right.     Jim

Left click on photos to enlarge

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I used a pressure washer on the outside coils and a vacuum, air compressor and a stiff brush on the inside coil. Made a difference on real hot days

If you do it every couple of years its a lot easier.:wacko:

You'll be OK just use it from the inside out that stuff is a lot tougher then you think. They also make a thing called a condenser comb to straighten the fins out too.