The 2016 July Generator Challenge!

I call troll. you failed to meet challenge requirements, which is just to take simple video of yourself starting the AC. so no you didn't win.

Whether I believe you or not is irrelevant; the Original challenge rules remain.

Unicorn stories are just that until the video showing the running AC, temperature (inside and out) and generator are shown.

That was stated in the beginning, this is not berating just facts. Facts is facts.

Even mtDave could have won this easy challenge; he posted video of his hondas... you? nope.

Edited by Totem

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Back East Don wrote a video can be faked! So what's the point? You even stated you could post a  picture. What would that show? Now I know why forum members are not accepting your challenge. Any info submitted could be faked! As I stated I don't have a smart phone so I guess in your mind I'm not truthful. Well Sir I am truthful and I won this challenge and my Word is proof! To blanket state a Honda 2000i cannot run a RV rooftop AC is simply not true. Perhaps you should buy one for yourself and actually see it it works for you. Have you ever owned a Honda 2000i? Have you tested it with all your "rules" before you can say it doesn't work. Other members believe me so I really won't lose any sleep knowing you think I'm lying. Take Care! 

5 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

As Back East Don wrote a video can be faked! So what's the point? You even stated you could post a  picture. What would that show? Now I know why forum members are not accepting your challenge. Any info submitted could be faked! As I stated I don't have a smart phone so I guess in your mind I'm not truthful. Well Sir I am truthful and I won this challenge and my Word is proof! To blanket state a Honda 2000i cannot run a RV rooftop AC is simply not true. Perhaps you should buy one for yourself and actually see it it works for you. Have you ever owned a Honda 2000i? Have you tested it with all your "rules" before you can say it doesn't work. Other members believe me so I really won't lose any sleep knowing you think I'm lying. Take Care! 

I'd be a little careful on the "wining thing".  The generator wars around this place are of legend but more importantly (implicitly), the fact remains, there is a lot going on with this issue.  It works for you today and maybe always.  I could probably make it work for me as well except for the fact that I don't have AC.  Long gone.  Thought about replacing it last year and ended up spending almost as much money on 3 new fan vents as a new AC unit costs.  I camp mostly at the beach here in the northeast.  Really hot weather along the shore is limited and at night, typically cool.  I'm at sea level and relative humidity is often not too bad.  Probably optimal conditions for it to work.  Well that and I know a bit about inrush current limiting.  In the end, I like peace and quiet and can get by without it.

Totem's point is not lost on me.  It's nothing about lying, it's about making a point and he is doing it with lets say, a certain Joie de Vivre.  As for your application, it is more of a wait and see.  If it works reliably where and when you need it, you have indeed won.  That is the only winning going to happen in all of this.  At least the winning that is going to count.

It's been a tremendously long campaign. Battles to numerous to count and much has been sacrificed, yet so much it still rages on ad nauseum.  The only hope for us is for a white knight technology to come and liberate us all.  Not holding my breath and hanging on to my talcum (chaffing).  You are no longer a noob so you'll have to carry on as best you can (they grow up so fast don't they).

No, really, good luck with the generator. Report back after a few hot trips.  Inquiring minds want to know.

I understand Sir! I was just excited and now realize I'm being a little foolish. Totem is correct...it's His challenge. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

20 hours ago, Back East Don said:

I'd be a little careful on the "wining thing".  The generator wars around this place are of legend but more importantly (implicitly), the fact remains, there is a lot going on with this issue.  It works for you today and maybe always.  I could probably make it work for me as well except for the fact that I don't have AC.  Long gone.  Thought about replacing it last year and ended up spending almost as much money on 3 new fan vents as a new AC unit costs.  I camp mostly at the beach here in the northeast.  Really hot weather along the shore is limited and at night, typically cool.  I'm at sea level and relative humidity is often not too bad.  Probably optimal conditions for it to work.  Well that and I know a bit about inrush current limiting.  In the end, I like peace and quiet and can get by without it.

Totem's point is not lost on me.  It's nothing about lying, it's about making a point and he is doing it with lets say, a certain Joie de Vivre.  As for your application, it is more of a wait and see.  If it works reliably where and when you need it, you have indeed won.  That is the only winning going to happen in all of this.  At least the winning that is going to count.

It's been a tremendously long campaign. Battles to numerous to count and much has been sacrificed, yet so much it still rages on ad nauseum.  The only hope for us is for a white knight technology to come and liberate us all.  Not holding my breath and hanging on to my talcum (chaffing).  You are no longer a noob so you'll have to carry on as best you can (they grow up so fast don't they).

No, really, good luck with the generator. Report back after a few hot trips.  Inquiring minds want to know.

^ EXACTLY. well stated.

heheh couldnt resist an ice fishing joke.

funny side story, i was ice fishing with a guy and my little daughters once; we had a Vexlar but it sat unused as it was marking fish but we never seemd to get anything so we dropped the cabellas cam underwater camera into the hole to watch. My eldest daughter sat patiently watching the "fish TV" as a cold and slow almost in slow motion large mouth bass (out of season) came up and looked at her bait minnow... it finally decided to strike and was awesome; as we saw it hit the bait on the cam at same time the ice rod bore down..

The excitement on my daughters face was instantly killed when the guy whos shanty we were in sort of freaked out and grabbed the rod trying to rip it from her little hands and in doing so lost the fish but more importantly his iphone 5 fell out of his jacket.. we saw it as it plummeted down the hole.. and just at that moment he received a text and it lit up as it traveled down. he couldn't get it... and it eventually faded off again from the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Rules is rules (at least in this thread). Without a video, it didn't happen. :)

indeed and it doesnt need to be 9 hours of paint drying. just a short viddy of the setup running and some temperature measurements and i am ok with that. ideally we should see the things running and what not. If you go to the trouble to fake that; we have bigger problems.

• 2 weeks later...

First cam of the challenge. 

Outside temp is 90 with heat warnings in effect till 8:pm ..Location northern Indiana. Inside the rig its 78f.  had AC running for an hour toget down to that from 91.6 and 78% humidity.

IMG_1928.MOV

Today in virginia its 98 degrees outside but cruising in the toyota with the hf generator running the AC its a balmy  83 degrees. Think about that. Elevation heat etc is shown on the app shot. Others claim AC success standing still but this is runnin down the road. Lets see some people post their numbers? Come on honda worshippers lets see it.

image.png

IMG_1932.MOV

Today its 85 in raleigh nc. Driving along with generator the rv sets at 71 degrees. Hoping to see some honda people post film of their rigs running AC while driving. I wont bother filming mine today as 85 degrees isnt worth it even though we are still using it.  So far 0% failure to start or overload on the HF 2500 predator coleman mach1 ps combo...

Edited by Totem

well the trip is over. Ive decided the challenge can be simply met by showing us footage of your generator running while driving, with some temperature data and elevation data. If your rig is cool and you show current temps and altitudes that's sufficient. Running a generator while parked is one thing but cooling the RV in motion is quite another...only the best combos will tackle that feat and If you "fake" that you obviously have something better than a generator anyway.

I ran without any failures in a a variety of locations including the smokey mountains in TN in over 95 degrees.

I am open to demonstrating at a toy-in if anyone has any doubts about this setup; but the combo i have now is an excellent reliable one to be sure.

I am still waiting to see anyone else post a video of it. In my case i uploaded my phone's movs for the real deal gusto in the links above; no youtube.

Some lessons learned:

• Always remember to close the bathroom roof vent and tightly close windows when driving with AC. I discovered one of the kids had one of the birth's mini windows open after getting to a destination so my temps could have been much lower.
  • rear mounted generator: i was able to fill the generator AND the toyota if i pulled more forward than normal in one gas pump; i got quite good at it after a few fill ups to where the gas hose could reach both the generator (which i mounted on the bumper on same side as the gas fill of the truck). saves time.
  • AC works better when the rig is stationary; I needed to run on hi cool to keep up with the heat while driving; low cool generally was used while parked.

Totem,

I just bought an 87 Sunrader. The generator choosing is killing me this week. Only reason I would buy a generator would be for my AC (11000btu).

To be more specific about my AC. Reading from the instruction manual:

Duo Therm 600312-001; 11000BTU; 1.5kw; FL amps (comp/motor) 10.1/3.1; LR amps 56.6/8.3 

Their 'normal' recommended generator is 2.5kw based on 'user experience'.

I found a Predator 2500 at $450 new. Since they are noisy beasts anyway (AC and generators are noisy in general) I would mainly use the combo for dry camping. I could spend 1000 for a honda if it would guarantee to do the job in harder conditions. No 2000w generator would fit in my compartment so it does not matter the size if I need to carry it inside or on a hitch cargo (the 500$ extra would buy me a nice hitch cargo box). Also not in the mood to spend $3000 to put an onan in the generator compartment. (how did they chose 'Onan' for a product name, one can only laugh at their marketing department choices :))

Questions:

- how long of a cord can I use with this predator and still be able to run it (trying to reduce noise)?

- would it start and run my AC without any other fancy electrical mods?

Note: I totally understand there are fancy hondas etc but in the end the biggest bang for buck matters. Extras $ can be put at other uses.

Thank you

Edited by Klein

2 hours ago, Klein said:

I'm so not in the mood to spend $3000 to put an onan in the generator compartment. (how did they chose 'Onan' for a product name, one can only laugh at their marketing department choices :))

David W Onan built his first generator in 1926 (300w), built a bunch for the military in WWII, bought by Cummings in 1992.

No Biblical implications

Well you can find Onan generators for far less than 3000 bucks. I've seen them on craigslist for super cheap but here's one that looks almost new on eBay. Yes more than a portable but add that 500 hundred dollar box your talking about and suddenly it's the same price

Linda S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-GENERATOR-MICROLITER-RV-MOTORHOME-GENERATOR-2800-WATT-/131897459431?hash=item1eb5b382e7:g:ql4AAOSwUuhXcCK6

Opps I missed the part about when you turn on the air conditioner it shuts off. Oh well I do see them on craigslist for reasonable prices

Thank you for feedback. I am getting the predator new for $400. If the logistics of setting it up get to a nuisance status, would definitely look into an onan generator. My Sunrader has 100k miles thus I expect some $$ to go towards ensuring it travels safe to and from a destination.?

1 hour ago, Klein said:

Thank you for feedback. I am getting the predator new for $400. If the logistics of setting it up get to a nuisance status, would definitely look into an onan generator. My Sunrader has 100k miles thus I expect some $$ to go towards ensuring it travels safe to and from a destination.?

Welcome to the madness.

The Onan is often referred to as the Ohno,  "Oh No", by many owners.    I hope the predator is the inverter model, the construction type are unbearably loud.

The RV community has designed and invented and redesigned a zillion ways to mount a genset on/in an RV.   IF you google mounting portable genset on RV, you will find many options. The bulk of which involve some kind of rack on the rear. From strapped to Harbor Freight hitch racks to well designed custom made ones.    The one I like is lowering the floor in the existing generator compartment and storing in there.  Not doing it but I like it.

Jim

10 hours ago, Klein said:

To be more specific about my AC. Reading from the instruction manual:

Duo Therm 600312-001; 11000BTU; 1.5kw; FL amps (comp/motor) 10.1/3.1; LR amps 56.6/8.3 

Their 'normal' recommended generator is 2.5kw based on 'user experience'.

I found a Predator 2500 at $450 new. Since they are noisy beasts anyway (AC and generators are noisy in general) I would mainly use the combo for dry camping. I could spend 1000 for a honda if it would guarantee to do the job in harder conditions.

What is the "normal" 2.5KW generator?  An Onan Microlite 2.8 KW (2.5 KW on propane) is much more generator then the Predator or the Honda.

Onan Microlite has a 197 cc engine, has a surge rating of 3400 watts, and continuous of 2800 watts.

Predator has a 125 cc engine, surge rating of 2500 watts, and continuous of 2200 watts

Honda has a 99 cc engine, surge rating of 2000 watts, and continuous of 2000 watts

" Honda has a 99 cc engine, surge rating of 2000 watts, and continuous of 2000 watts "

honda was 1600 continuous i believe..jde.. you stated 2000 continuous, thats wrong.

Edited by Totem

Welcome Klein.. So far I am the only one to prove a combo that will keep kids dogs and family cool while driving outside of the factory onan.

On a side note, I once got a demo of an older 90's rv that had a Onan microlite in it. It ran the AC just fine; but was LOUD as a garden tractor.

its advantages if memory serves were that it was built in and used same fuel tank as the rig.

My setup is terribly simple personally.

I have a HF inverter predator generator and its pretty quiet; i definitely cannot hear it over the toyota's raging howl while driving.

my generator came with a larger starting cap than the supco spp6 but I would advise you to get one on amazon in your case as your AC is not the power saver edition which only draws 7.5 Amps in my case. The cap is cheap, make sure you dont get the spp6e (e for electronic) supco. just the plain jane spp6. should be $10-20$. takes about 20 minutes to install.

I got a 30 am Bakelite 3 prong adaptor that goes to 110 standard plug and plug the adaptor into the generator. I run my camper service line right out the usual hole and i zip tied it at places to keep it tight and snug on the side, zipped it to the suburban furnace exhaust port and the ladder with a few ties. I bungee cord wrap the cable to the generator so plugs don't fall out while driving.

I just got back from a trip so its still in travel mode. I will take some pics. Its not the most glorious looking setup but it serves me well. My family used to be stuck with the windows all open , a temp of 96 degrees inside and wind whipping like a hurricane before this AC/generator combo came into play. Now its quiet as all get out and we watch movies and enjoy the ride in 70's when its raging 90-100 outside while cruising.

To me that's priceless.

The generator is simply setting in between the HF cargo carrier and the RV resting on the bumper and ratchet strapped down like really good.

I don't fear theft of this thing but do run a bike lock cable through it and my scooters when away for periods. Thats the joy of only having $400 in it, I don't need to build a bank vault around it to protect it from the "takers". The takers can have it if they want it that bad. My experience with takers is that they will find a way to take what they want anyway; even popping and prying open expensive truck lock boxes. if they have a cable cutter big enough to cut my bike lock and go for it they can have it, I'll just go get a new one. Growing up near detroit I've learned that the nicest most expensive nick nacks that are on "lockdown" invite those that wish to test how locked down it is. My dingy HF generator looks more of a pain in my opine, to a thief; just untying the ratchet strap alone would take 15-20 even if cutting it would be a pain.

So what does my generator run now? everything. it runs the entire rig; the fridge the AC the converter charger and so far its had no issues with that either, the solid state isolator plays ball with it nicely up front;

I do have our entertainment system wired to a separate 12 volt inverter in the rig so that extra charging coming from both the converter and the isolator off the alternator are still used.

Edited by Totem

21 minutes ago, Totem said:

Welcome Klein.. So far I am the only one to prove a combo that will keep kids dogs and family cool while driving outside of the factory onan.

I just knew you two would fast become good friends.  Kindred spirits and all.

So yes Klein, welcome to the club.

1 minute ago, Back East Don said:

I just knew you two would fast become good friends.  Kindred spirits and all.

So yes Klein, welcome to the club.

what can I say I'm a cheapskate that likes to spend my extra $ on moonshine and whiskey; not generators. I do like keeping cool though... sensibly.

:)

3 minutes ago, Totem said:

what can I say I'm a cheapskate that likes to spend my extra $ on moonshine and whiskey; not generators. I do like keeping cool though... sensibly.

:)

I just camp where it is cool. No genny. No AC.  More hooch.

12 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

I just camp where it is cool. No genny. No AC.  More hooch.

I do also.. its the getting there thats the ride through a hair dryer hot. If like me you were 0on vaca in the last week of July, finding a cool road to travel was about dog gone impossible.

Edited by Totem

1 hour ago, Totem said:

" Honda has a 99 cc engine, surge rating of 2000 watts, and continuous of 2000 watts "

honda was 1600 continuous i believe..jde.. you stated 2000 continuous, thats wrong.

Yes, just another classic example of my brain saying one thing, but my grubby fingers something different via the keyboard.  Honda is indeed `1600 watts rated.

Just now, Totem said:

I do also.. its the getting there thats the ride through a hair dryer hot.

I totally get it.  Just teasing a bit on your fervent evangelism.

You should also get that others value quiet.  It is fundamentally the two points of this debate. It's why they spend the extra money and go through the extra effort.  My dog starts barking in the yard, I bring him in.  My neighbors, not so much even in the middle of the night.  Don't have AC but I've camped next to that guy with the loud construction genny.  Most don't want to be that guy and I'm grateful.  Some do it just for their own sake and I'm fine with that too.  The guy I like best though is the one with no genny.

7 minutes ago, Totem said:

I do also.. its the getting there thats the ride through a hair dryer hot. If like me you were 0on vaca in the last week of July, finding a cool road to travel was about dog gone impossible.

I don't know about your area of Michigan - but right now - we  are getting the hottest weather I've experienced in the 10 years I've been stomping around (northern tip of the lower peninsula).  Last evening, we ate on the shore of Lake Huron and it was 94 degrees F with 70% humidity.  Went down to a low of 80F in the middle of the night.  I love this stuff but my wife hates it.  So, for the first time in 10 years - we stuck an old window AC unit in the living room window and let it run all night.   It is also the driest I've ever seen.  Lake next to my house is down 5 feet and every swamp and creek in the area is just dried-mud.  I took a walk this morning behind the house and saw one badger, two coyotes and a large black bear. I suspect they are all coming around to the pond since it is the only place left around here with any water.   Many of the local corn and red-bean farmers are plowing under their crops since they dried out.    Seeing the badger in daylight is kind of rare.

10 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

I totally get it.  Just teasing a bit on your fervent evangelism.

You should also get that others value quiet.  It is fundamentally the two points of this debate. It's why they spend the extra money and go through the extra effort.  My dog starts barking in the yard, I bring him in.  My neighbors, not so much even in the middle of the night.  Don't have AC but I've camped next to that guy with the loud construction genny.  Most don't want to be that guy and I'm grateful.  Some do it just for their own sake and I'm fine with that too.  The guy I like best though is the one with no genny.

Again, I don't run it at a campsite; because campsite has power. I did run it at walmart in the parking lot at 2 am when i took a sleep break one night. There was no one else there to hate on the quiet purr of the Honda killer. It certainly didnt prevent me from sleeping. As mentioned, you simply cannot hear it while driving; which in my case is what its for. We used the Rv in Pigeon forge to hit the shops; that means the dog was along for the ride. He really didn't want to sit in 98 degrees where the camper would hit 116.  Every time we came out from a shop, we found him passed out sleeping in 68 degrees. he was loving it.

I like that it fit between the hitch carrier and the camper. Didn't know that's where you put it. Got to look at mine with the carrier on again. Same one you have. Was wondering how I could fit a generator and still get my boat on the carrier. Think this might work

Linda S