The 2016 July Generator Challenge!

On 7/8/2016 at 9:10 PM, markwilliam1 said:

Ok Totem, not true test by your specifications. I don't have a camera. Today I installed the hard start capacitor and the new relay kit made by Dometic on my 11k Dometic AC. I started my Honda 2000i, put the AC fan only on (lowest setting) then started the air on low. The compressor kicked on, the Honda ran the unit. So far so good. I then set the fan to medium and cranked up the air to 6 (out of 8.) When the compressor kicked on the Honda died...Bummer! So I lowered the fan to low and dialed down the cold to 4. Started up the Honda and it ran the unit for over 4 continuous hours. Slows down a second when the compressor kicks on but did not overload..Wow! So the weather today in Northern Ohio was 88 and the humidity was in the upper 70%..it was hot and my rig was sitting on my concrete drive in full sun. I'm around sea level though and it wasn't 90 out but close. Inside my Granville it was around 95 and it took awhile but the Honda cooled it down to the upper 70's. I even plugged in a small electric fan running off the Honda also and she kept running. I know this isn't the test you described but it's a start for me. My hope is I can run the Honda while mounted on the back and cool my rig while cruising as my cab air isn't repairable. Keep me and my pups cool. Got to figure out a way to secure the Honda so nobody can steal it! I know the Honda won't work in the Rockies but it might in the Appalachians near me. Who knows? My other option is to buy the Dometic smart start unit but @ $450 that's expensive. I've read the Honda 2000i can run a roof AC on economy mode with the smart start installed. That would still be somewhat reasonable as I think to fix my cab air would be over $1000. I'll keep you updated if you want. I'm not plugging the Honda, it's just the only generator I own. Mark 

it will be interesting to see how long that $1000 1600 watt generator survives running right on top of overload. Nice to see some success in any event; thanks for the report.  It would be good to see the stats on the consumption meter that Maineah says is only for 15 Amps for your unit. Is your AC a powersaver version of the 11k?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lowering the temp control on the AC will give the system to bleed off internal pressure, this make the AC draw less current on startup. The fan speed "SHOULD NOT" make any difference.

It's a 2000 11K BTU Dometic Penguin. No power saver. I don't think the Honda is running @ peak amps the whole time the roof air is on, just when the compressor briefly kicks in does the Honda strain then runs normally. I'm seriously considering the Dometic SmartStart unit. For $425 I can run my roof air with the Honda on Economy Mode. Would be much quieter and last over 8 hrs on a tank of gas. Plus less strain on the AC unit. Was hoping someone on this forum has a Dometic SmartStart unit installed for input but I guess not. I guess most people have larger genies or don't use air. I'm not a fan of AC but need something to keep my pups cool as we all know how hot our Toys can get inside. Thanks for everyone's comments! Mark

in your case the cheapest option to run with what you have is the SmartStart... assuming you know the power draw of the unit after starting successfully the compressor. If you are at or above 1600 watts draw in usage it would be a $425 mistake.

If I were you, i would go to harbor freight and get a kill a watt meter and see what you are pulling on draw. Maineah will chime in saying the kill-a-watt meter is not rated but to 15 amp; but its only 24 bucks with coupon. Using that meter you can tell how many amps your AC is drawing and size the equipment to the need.

New AC will run $650 for a coleman power saver mach 1 that is the lowest draw.. or $499 for HF or similar 2500 generator;

In my mind the HF generator would be the better buy than the smart start simply because Ive personally seen it start a coleman Mach 3 regular edition AC with nothing more than a supco cap and that AC unit drew much more than i am assuming the penguin does. It was a little wonky though.

What are the stats on your penguin AC per factory for draw locked rotor etc?

Pulled out the manual tor the Dometic Penguin. It's an 11K unit.  Compressor rated load amps is 9.5. Fan motor rated load amps is 3.1. Compressor locked rotor amps is 53.0. Fan motor locked rotor amps is 8.8. AC circuit protection is 20 amp delay fuse. I'm not knowledgeable on what the numbers mean! I am intrigued by your HF generator but since I already own the Honda I sure would like to be able to use it like you do yours Totem on the back of my rig cruising down the road. Supposedly the SmartStart unit reduces the initial amperage draw by 60% enabling the Honda to start and run the AC while in Economy mode....that would be very cool!!

No high science here.  Just a post from a non-RV forum I find kind of interesting.

I have two generators. One is a Coleman 5000w with a Tecumseh engine and I attempted to run my travel trailer with it and it would trip the breaker every time that I turned on the AC. After reading many reviews, I paid $800 at Home Depot for the Champion 3500w quiet run. I love this little generator! I can run everything in my travel trailer for an entire weekend without issue. Lately, I've been loading it up and taking it to our shooting range to run a couple of fans while we shoot to make the heat a little more bearable. It has the economy mode switch and runs at half the rpm for low loads and I've used the 12v charging port many times. I cannot say enough about the reliability of the Champion .

13 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Pulled out the manual tor the Dometic Penguin. It's an 11K unit.  Compressor rated load amps is 9.5. Fan motor rated load amps is 3.1. Compressor locked rotor amps is 53.0. Fan motor locked rotor amps is 8.8. AC circuit protection is 20 amp delay fuse. I'm not knowledgeable on what the numbers mean! I am intrigued by your HF generator but since I already own the Honda I sure would like to be able to use it like you do yours Totem on the back of my rig cruising down the road. Supposedly the SmartStart unit reduces the initial amperage draw by 60% enabling the Honda to start and run the AC while in Economy mode....that would be very cool!!

just running; you are pulling 1500 + watts ish according to that; and that will vary with temperature and elevation;

That's maxing out your generators capacity and putting some heavy load on its electronics. That also is not including start demands...which is where a capacitor or smart start would help.

If the lifespan or loss of the honda because of that is not a concern then the smart start just might eek you by.

15 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

No high science here.  Just a post from a non-RV forum I find kind of interesting.

I have two generators. One is a Coleman 5000w with a Tecumseh engine and I attempted to run my travel trailer with it and it would trip the breaker every time that I turned on the AC. After reading many reviews, I paid $800 at Home Depot for the Champion 3500w quiet run. I love this little generator! I can run everything in my travel trailer for an entire weekend without issue. Lately, I've been loading it up and taking it to our shooting range to run a couple of fans while we shoot to make the heat a little more bearable. It has the economy mode switch and runs at half the rpm for low loads and I've used the 12v charging port many times. I cannot say enough about the reliability of the Champion .

my buddy ran our deer camp on that 3500 champion with mid eco mode. its ran a good 2 solid years before its motor became ruined from low oil that failed to stop the generator; because it was on a slight incline. If running those keep them level and check oil WHILE level. He thought his oil level was ok but was measuring it while on the hill.

So you think that would shorten the life of the Honda? It's a new unit and would hate to kill it! Have you had any issues with your HF generator? I'm now thinkin' that route maybe to save my Honda. Where would you take the HF unit ror repairs and where to get parts? Thanks!

Just called Honda customer service. I asked the tech if running the Honda @ its maximum output for long periods would harm the unit. He replied No! Unless your constantly tripping the overload switch he stated the Honda is designed to run @ maximum output for extended periods without Any Harm to the unit. I guess that's why its a Honda and so many people want one! So I'm not going to buy HF generator now. I will use my Honda and if it trips the breaker then I will cut back on its usage. Thanks for everyone's input. Will try the Honda today...supposed to be 92. Still interested in the SmartStart if I can find installation instructions for an RV air and not marine air.

25 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Just called Honda customer service. I asked the tech if running the Honda @ its maximum output for long periods would harm the unit. He replied No! Unless your constantly tripping the overload switch he stated the Honda is designed to run @ maximum output for extended periods without Any Harm to the unit. I guess that's why its a Honda and so many people want one! So I'm not going to buy HF generator now. I will use my Honda and if it trips the breaker then I will cut back on its usage. Thanks for everyone's input. Will try the Honda today...supposed to be 92. Still interested in the SmartStart if I can find installation instructions for an RV air and not marine air.

correct me if i am wrong but you tripped the breaker...

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

So you think that would shorten the life of the Honda? It's a new unit and would hate to kill it! Have you had any issues with your HF generator? I'm now thinkin' that route maybe to save my Honda. Where would you take the HF unit ror repairs and where to get parts? Thanks!

For me, and this is just me, not the rest of the honda fanatics here, I am keenly aware of a service industry known as "small machine repair" shops. I have over 18 of them in my area alone in a small city of 8600 people...

The shop i take my leaf blowers to has full catalog access to all parts. The lies and untruths that some in here spread about HF generators being some kind of mythological demon that cannot be repaired are second only to the folly of their statements on the extreme aptitude of using a 1600 watt generator to a task meant for a 2500 watt one. But to each their own; if you want to spend $425 to try and use the honda, please do and report back the success or fails. Take a video if you wish it to be legit for the challenge.

13 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Oh come on!  Unless I am misreading something - that is pure nonsense.   I guess I need to hear a definition of what "maximum output" is.  Honda says maximum continuous power is 1600 watts.  Maximum power for no longer then 30 minutes is 2000 watts.  So Honda company lies in their printed literature and the dealer on the phone is the honest one here?  Or are people just playing with words?  Nothing unique about a generator having a continuous rating and a time-constrained rating.  I suspect many buy Hondas because of the BS flying out there. I'm sure others buy on Honda's reputation for having great parts support which is true.  I for one do not care about parts-support. Not when I can buy a generator that does more at half the price.

Note I have nothing against Honda except their BS in advertising (like many others do).   My first bike was a Honda 305 Super Hawk in the 60s and I still have my CL175 from 1973.  Their first cars were crap, but the generators have always been high quality.  So are many other brands that cost less.

Another question for MarkWilliam:

How is your generator plugged into the AC? did you direct wire it to a plug or is it factory wired into the RV via the breaker box (on standard 20 amp switch)?

Edited by Totem

Not sure what Mr JD is referring to. Let's be clear. I'm not a Honda fanatic. I just happen to own a new 2000i & would like to be able to use it on my rig. If I didn't already have one I would buy the HF unit Totem recommends as I appreciate his input. Just can't justify spending and additional $550 on another generator right now. I have a 30 amp adapter that I plug into the generator from the coach power cord to run the air. Also the Honda tripped the circuit breaker @ first when the air was set to high and the fan on medium. When I lowered the temp setting to 4 (out of 8) and fan set to low, 88 degrees and high humidity the Honda ran the AC for hours and did not trip the breaker so I am a little encouraged. Will try later today @ 92. I'm close to sea level here in Northern Ohio. 

you do realize you are running far more than your generator right, running the whole house plugged into it via a 30 amp adapter? according to your response you are running your converter, and possibly other accessories also if so. They too have a net addition to your watt consumption total (aka charging the coach battery, running the fridge etc) . I smell a burnt up Honda in your near future...but at least you can pay for parts and service from a corporate sanctioned  repair shop as opposed to small machine repair.

Ive got 90 degrees here in michigan today. I am going to run my AC (which is also wired into the converter like MarkWilliam1's ) and take a small video for us here. Of course due to limitation on this site i will need to upload to YouTube then reference youtube but thats ok. Should have it on here tonight with some data; including the kill a watt. I would encourage any honda folks to get a kill a watt and join me.

Edited by Totem

Yea, I'm just testing the Honda. I have nothing connected in the coach except a small ac fan. No fridge, coach battery disconnected, etc. Anything that would draw more power. Don't think the Honda would burn up...your making me nervous Man lol!  Never heard of a Honda burning up while running and as the tech said they are made to run @ max capacity for extended periods of time (I hope!) Gunna go and hook her up now it 91. I'll have a fire extinguisher near by :-):-)! Wish me luck!

23 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Yea, I'm just testing the Honda. I have nothing connected in the coach except a small ac fan. No fridge, coach battery disconnected, etc. Anything that would draw more power. Don't think the Honda would burn up...your making me nervous Man lol!  Never heard of a Honda burning up while running and as the tech said they are made to run @ max capacity for extended periods of time (I hope!) Gunna go and hook her up now it 91. I'll have a fire extinguisher near by :-):-)! Wish me luck!

Just ignore them . The Honda is a great generator and it will shut off long before anything unpleasant happens. They are made to do that under strain.

Linda S

30 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

unless you straight wire the AC your converter IS running and drawing decent watts.

Well Totem seems your right! My Honda didn't burn up but it couldn't run the AC @ all! Even on low!  Bummer Man! Guess I'll get the HF unit. Look forward to seeing how yours did today....It's HOT out!

"Q: Hello sir:

Can this generator power my refrigerator at home which is rated at 6.5 amps. 120vac x 6.5 amps equals 780 watts. Are my calculations accurate or should i purchase the EU 3000? .Thank you for your prompt response.

by Frank from California on June 28, 2016

A: Typically the starting amps are three times the running amperage which would exceed this generator. I personally would recommend the larger unit.

by Mike, Product Expert"

taken from this page

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU2000IA1-Portable-Generator/p8519.html

This was just a 6.5 amp fridge in question... I do believe Mark's AC is much higher Amp draw. In his case wouldnt this same advice apply Linda?

4 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Well Totem seems your right! My Honda didn't burn up but it couldn't run the AC @ all! Even on low!  Bummer Man! Guess I'll get the HF unit. Look forward to seeing how yours did today....It's HOT out!

I am not trying to be right...I like JDE and Maineah, we try to stay with scientific and product based facts. I dont care what generator you have; just get one at 2500 watts or better like Maineah also advised. Too many people exhibiting emotions as facts these days. Emotion will not change watts, amps nor replace the truth. while quiet the honda eu2000i was not designed to run rooftop AC.

And when i get home for todays test, my 2500 may fail too! (but most likely wont heheheh)

Edited by Totem

4 hours ago, jdemaris said:

IN my web searches for an alternative genset should I need one the Champion 3100 inverter generator comes up the winner.  Taking into consideration, price point, parts and service availability, customer satisfaction, it is everything I would want in a generator!  A bit bigger than I would like, somewhat heavier, but the best compromise I see.   New ones can now be bought in MIami for $650.    

18 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

IN my web searches for an alternative genset should I need one the Champion 3100 inverter generator comes up the winner.  Taking into consideration, price point, parts and service availability, customer satisfaction, it is everything I would want in a generator!  A bit bigger than I would like, somewhat heavier, but the best compromise I see.   New ones can now be bought in MIami for $650.    

see I would have pegged you as a japanese honda killer type of guy jjrbus: like getting two of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/45063804?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227032752678&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=64930157432&wl4=pla-129112932992&wl5=9016977&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=45063804&wl13=&veh=sem

which are yamaha clones of a honda right down to the parallel cable.

2 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Not sure what Mr JD is referring to. Let's be clear. I'm not a Honda fanatic. I just happen to own a new 2000i & would like to be able to use it on my rig. If I didn't already have one I would buy the HF unit Totem recommends as I appreciate his input. Just can't justify spending and additional $550 on another generator right now. I have a 30 amp adapter that I plug into the generator from the coach power cord to run the air. Also the Honda tripped the circuit breaker @ first when the air was set to high and the fan on medium. When I lowered the temp setting to 4 (out of 8) and fan set to low, 88 degrees and high humidity the Honda ran the AC for hours and did not trip the breaker so I am a little encouraged. Will try later today @ 92. I'm close to sea level here in Northern Ohio. 

I was, and still am - referring to the contrast between what a Honda dealer told you - and what Honda states in their tech and owner's manual.  You said  . . " I asked the tech if running the Honda @ its maximum output for long periods would harm the unit. He replied No!"  

NOTE that Honda states clearly that there is a 30 minute maximum time to run at "full load" of 2000 watts. Subsequently it appears that Honda does indeed feel there is potential harm in running it that way too long. IF it can even be done. Maybe the Honda turns itself off if run that long that way (I have no idea). 

Part of the issue is likely semantics.  To some - "full load" is max temporary output.  To others it is the sustainable max output with no time limit.  Honda sells their 2000i as a 2000 watt generator yet it only has a continuous 1600 watt rating.  My Honeywell 2000i has a continuous rating of 2000 watts and a 30 minute max rating of 2200 watts.   So there is a substantial difference between the two yet both are marketed as "2000 watt" generators.

Well I'm in shock both by my stupidity and how the Honda's doin'. I couldn't figure out why the Honda ran my air so well 3 days ago @ 88 degrees and not today 92. So I climbed up and took the air cover off to find a loose wire on the Dometic Hard Cap unit I installed. Duh!! So for the past hour that little Honda has been running my air perfectly. I've even set the fan to medium and put the air on 4 a little past 1/2 towards cold. It cycles off and on normally and has not cut off or overloaded. It is 75 degrees in my Toy right now. It is hot and sunny where my rig & the Honda are. I know this doesn't meet Totems requirement for the challenge. I am unable to film anything but will let y'all know if she ran all day without any problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I haven't bought the HF generator yet!

4 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Well I'm in shock both by my stupidity and how the Honda's doin'. I couldn't figure out why the Honda ran my air so well 3 days ago @ 88 degrees and not today 92. So I climbed up and took the air cover off to find a loose wire on the Dometic Hard Cap unit I installed. Duh!! So for the past hour that little Honda has been running my air perfectly. I've even set the fan to medium and put the air on 4 a little past 1/2 towards cold. It cycles off and on normally and has not cut off or overloaded. It is 75 degrees in my Toy right now. It is hot and sunny where my rig & the Honda are. I know this doesn't meet Totems requirement for the challenge. I am unable to film anything but will let y'all know if she ran all day without any problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I haven't bought the HF generator yet!

if verifiable it certainly WOULD meet the challenge, though the physics of your tale are off. Its running the AC supposedly and not overloading, yet its also running that old converter (even if there is no battery attached to it its still using power) which means that its got to be near max... without a watts up we may never know.

Unicorn tales tend to be told like this a lot in this forum, one minute its working the next its not. Ive seen people wire two of them in parallel and have issues.

Theres no question the honda can start the AC, its whether it can keep your dogs alive for a full day and not die thats the issue.

Ok, I won't post on this subject again. I'm a truthful person and don't spin "unicorn tails." Guess I'm outside the relm of Physics!  I know now you won't believe me. Your really not going to believe this. It's 92 here and the Honda is sitting on hot concrete. I thought what the heck and put the Honda on Eco mode and it has been running the AC for close to an hour now with No overloads! It's 75 in my toy. I have a small fan running inside. The AC fan is on medium and the air a setting of 4 out of 7. No other power draw except for the inverter. I wish I had a way to prove this. At least I do own the Honda and am using it successfully @ this point in time vs someone who doesn't own the Honda stating the Honda will not run a AC unit (I'm not referring to you guys your way more knowledgeable than me!) The only reason I think this is working is because of the Dometic brand Hard Start cap kit which I think is better suited for my Dometic AC than the cheap Supco cap. The Dometic kit was $50 vs $8! Thanks JD for you explanation also Sir. Maybe I'm just lucky. My Honda has been going strong for hours now...think I'm gunna keep her for now. Thanks again everyone. Great discussion!! Mark

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

Ok, I won't post on this subject again. I'm a truthful person and don't spin "unicorn tails." Guess I'm outside the relm of Physics!  I know now you won't believe me. Great discussion!! Mark

I believe you. Hey, if it works it works. If if does it consistently over time - sounds like you are in the minority but all that counts is it works.  I've got a Trace/Xantrex 2400 watt inverter that worked great for several years running my little air-compressor (not much different then an AC unit).  It was always a "just enough" situation but worked - until it didn't.  Now - the compressor starts sometimes and others - trips a breaker in the inverter. I have no idea what changed over time and since it was not really an adequate setup to start with - not going to worry about it.  Like I said earlier, I have nothing against Honda.  I don't know of any other company that has parts support as good as Honda.  I just don't like the BS they use in advertising, but maybe they feel they must since many other companies - including Yamaha, do the same.

3 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Ok, I won't post on this subject again. I'm a truthful person and don't spin "unicorn tails." Guess I'm outside the relm of Physics!  I know now you won't believe me. Your really not going to believe this. It's 92 here and the Honda is sitting on hot concrete. I thought what the heck and put the Honda on Eco mode and it has been running the AC for close to an hour now with No overloads! It's 75 in my toy. I have a small fan running inside. The AC fan is on medium and the air a setting of 4 out of 7. No other power draw except for the inverter. I wish I had a way to prove this. At least I do own the Honda and am using it successfully @ this point in time vs someone who doesn't own the Honda stating the Honda will not run a AC unit (I'm not referring to you guys your way more knowledgeable than me!) The only reason I think this is working is because of the Dometic brand Hard Start cap kit which I think is better suited for my Dometic AC than the cheap Supco cap. The Dometic kit was $50 vs $8! Thanks JD for you explanation also Sir. Maybe I'm just lucky. My Honda has been going strong for hours now...think I'm gunna keep her for now. Thanks again everyone. Great discussion!! Mark

I believe you also!   I had 2 2000 Hondas running a 13.5 roof air and one ran out of gas, the roof air kept on running.  The numbers do not add up, it is not possible but it happened! 

Not sure why someone can post in here but not take a short video to YouTube and link it.

I didn't test my AC yesterday as I ended up working late and by the time i got home it rain stormed and temps came down to 79... which aren't worth filming. Hoping to have a test tonight or tomorrow.

So Mark, you have a computer, a $1000 Honda Genny, an expensive capacitor a nice toy home and AC but no smart phone?

1 hour ago, Totem said:

So Mark, you have a computer, a $1000 Honda Genny, an expensive capacitor a nice toy home and AC but no smart phone?

I'm an old guy but pretty plugged into technology.  I am often surprised by people, younger than I, that have flip phones.  I've a friend who has a part-time Craigslist business.  Barely tech literate enough to take pictures with a point and shoot and get them up on the web but wouldn't know the first thing about a smart phone and is uninterested.  Among many of the guys I run into fishing, same situation.  They have thousands invested in expensive fishing gear so I am sure they could afford a $100 Moto G 2nd gen or Moto E smartphone.   The common denominator in these people?  They just are not interested in it even though many of them have computers and are on Facebook and other forums.

Don't see the point of berating people in our little community.  It has gotten pretty bad.  As if a video proves anything.  I could easily fake the video proof you demand.  Short of real standards and independent certification, what is proof?

Well Totem it is true. I have no smart phone. I built my computer, have an elaborate home theater system, fancy photography equipment. Just not much of a phone person BUT I just ordered an iPhone so I will be able to take videos soon my Friend. I know these are required now if you travel so when I get my Granville ready I'll be ready. I really enjoy reading your posts. Not much response for your generator challenge though. I'm sure your sweet little HF generator will work fine and I know it can easily out perform my Honda. I just wanted to see if I could get it to work with my Honda as I already have one. I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy a Honda 2000i with the assumption it would run my RV air! Take Care, Mark

58 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

I'm an old guy but pretty plugged into technology.  I am often surprised by people, younger than I, that have flip phones.  I've a friend who has a part-time Craigslist business.  Barely tech literate enough to take pictures with a point and shoot and get them up on the web but wouldn't know the first thing about a smart phone and is uninterested.  Among many of the guys I run into fishing, same situation.  They have thousands invested in expensive fishing gear so I am sure they could afford a $100 Moto G 2nd gen or Moto E smartphone.   The common denominator in these people?  They just are not interested in it even though many of them have computers and are on Facebook and other forums.

Don't see the point of berating people in our little community.  It has gotten pretty bad.  As if a video proves anything.  I could easily fake the video proof you demand.  Short of real standards and independent certification, what is proof?

really ? asking a question is now berating? I have friends too that fish and have flip phones on the bottom of the lake down an ice hole.

Don't be-in the ice hole.

I consider those that wish to answer the challenge must at least have a way to post a picture or a video this is 2016, not 1983.

If you are going to enter internet forums and run generators and the like its a valid question to ask why there is no phone.

Soon the phone will be required to buy anything at all... mark of the beast and what not.

I could have posted a picture of my generator sitting there connected to my coach but what would that show?? All I know is I accepted the generator challenge and won. My Honda 2000i runs my rooftop air in 92 degree weather @ sea level even with the Eco switch on! Don't know how it will perform @ higher elevations. I know Totem doesn't believe me but other forum members do & I appreciate that. Thanks All!!