My mechanical guys change my gear ratio on my 1991 Warrior. My gear is noisy on deceleration  especially in 40 and 60 miles per hours. The professional mechanical guy had a lot of trouble to adjust that gear. Anybody have trouble with this brand: Yukon Gear.

Yukon makes two different gear sets. One for off road (tend to be noisy), and a higher end set, which is much quieter.

Sounds like you got the economy set.

• 2 weeks later...

I call Yukon tech about my noisy gear. I explain to him : backlash is ok  0.008 , side bearing preload : 25 inch/pound, pinion bearing preload 15incch/pound total:40 inch/pound. The tooth gear mesh was pretty centered.

His answer :aftermarket gear finish not as good as original. Between 30 to 60 mph, Some gear are noisy. USA gear are more noisy than the Yukon.

Update After I read some forum, some person put Lucas 10001 Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer .The gear are suppose less noisy. Today ,I try it.50% oil and 50% Lucas products.

It doesn't work, I have the same noise than before.

•  

I always break things in using dinosaur oil, it may be old fashion today with the factory machining as such. A lot of high performance engines come from the factory with synth oil. But for some thing that is not  machined as fine as the factory stuff. The the dyno oil helps things wear in faster.

Just a random thought from an "old" guy.

On 6/21/2016 at 6:22 PM, steeve said:

My mechanical guys change my gear ratio on my 1991 Warrior. My gear is noisy on deceleration  especially in 40 and 60 miles per hours. The professional mechanical guy had a lot of trouble to adjust that gear. Anybody have trouble with this brand: Yukon Gear.

Either the gears are set up with an incorrect pattern, or the gears are low-quality.  Regardless of what somebody said from Yukon, they advertise the Yukon brand as being OEM quality.  If that is true or not, I cannot say.  They certainly DO claim it.  Different story for their rejects they sell a "US Gear."  No lubricant is going to fix a bad tooth pattern or finish.  That said, back in the "good old days" used car dealers used oil mixed with saw-dust.

I had a miserable time installing the last set of Yukon 4.56 gears in my 1988.  That because Yukon no longer makes gears that properly fit any Toyota 8", two-pinion rear.  They only make gears to fit the four-pinion rear.  Which do you have?

You are correct and I am not suggesting it. I am very sensitive to ring & pinion "howls" and was nervous about my Yukon set.  But it worked out fine once I discovered their "screw-up" with the 2 pinion versus 4 pinion application. Note it is likely all the 4 cylinder Toyota RVs here have 2 pinion rears.  Fearing noise is one reason why I will never buy a used gear-set unless it was in a vehicle I got to drive first.

One added question.  There are two gear-mesh patterns to check when assembling. One is the "front" of the gears when powering the vehicle, and the other the "coast" side.  If the "coast" pattern is off, the gears will be quiet when you are accelerating, but start to "howl" when you coast.