Uhaul refillable 1lb propane cylinders

I have been refilling mine for years costs me about 90 cents.Interestingly it's not illegal to refill them but it is to transport them how they would ever know is beyond me.

me too i just reuse my old ones with that brass adaptor i got at cabellas.

for me i only use them when out on the ice anyway to run buddy heaters during icefishing so i am ok with the risk.

I think the biggest issue is too much liquid however it's not some thing I'm too worried about.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

U-Haul will have to get the law changed in Maine if the plan to offer the new service. :)

Might not have to if there is a distinction between what a refillable container is and an disposable one.  I don't know the details of what the differences are in the U-Haul tank but perhaps in the valve assembly?  Many of the state laws are based on the NPGA guidelines for laws and standards.  The answer might be there.

in the early 1970s bernzomatic sold a propane  lantern that came with a red 14 oz refillable cylinder  I still have it and a brass refiller . the difference in the one i have is the little bleed screw. instead of a tire valve type it is a like a 3/8 nut must be open and close with a wrench when liquid comes out. and the label says refillable. other then that I never could see any difference.

I'm pretty sure the law is federal about transporting a refilled 1#. Filling a 1# cylinder from an upside down tank is nothing but liquid and there is no over fill device,.I can not say but to me the pressure is going to equalize so there must be empty space in the 1# that will not fill with liquid I have never had an issue with one so I'll keep filling them. 

I don't get the advantage unless you are filling them yourself.   Refillable 1 lb. cylinders have been around for years.  Problem is - many gas fillers use set prices with built-in service charges for small cylinders and not "per gallon" prices. I know that where I live, having a 1 lb. cylinder filled will cost more then a brand new one at Walmart.  A four-pack is $11, so $2.75 each.   The gas place near me has a $5 minimum on filling anything, so a one-pounder is not worth the bother.     I just brought a 100 pounder to get filled and it was only half empty.  Still cost me $60 which kind of ticked me off.   Now, if you have your own bulk-tank, and fill yourself - guess it makes sense if you use those small cylinders a lot.

propane 1 lb.jpg

Yep unless you live some where,where that's not expectable or don't want to deal with propane.tanks to fill them only reason I fill them is for a small cooker that barely uses a # a year.

I carry a small gas grill with a bottle or two (usually a half empty and a full one) when camping.  Handy way to grill some fish, a burger or what ever.  Our usage is fairly small and I don't want to carry a bigger tank along with an adapter hose.  A $1.95 refill at U-Haul locations all over (lots of them around here) would make this affordable and seems environmentally friendly too.  I bought some recently at Walmart 2 for almost $7.  Not a big savings but as a taxpayer in a small town, I pay indirectly for the disposal.

From the article, they plan on rolling this out nationally.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they have looked into it and have a notion of what the regs and the potential market are.  They also mention the 12 year certification which would make me believe there is a legal difference between it and the disposable ones.  I for one, like the idea.

With out reading all the fine print, I would guess that the $1.95 is on an exchange basis. Can't imagine them filling up a single 1# at a time

I'm wondering if the 1 lb. fills at Uhaul will be a rip-off like the 20 lb. tanks from Blue Rhino from Walmart that are only 3/4 filled with 15 lbs.