Hello all.  1986 mini cruiser. 20 ft.  The nuts on the side mirrors are nearly completely rusted.  No way to adjust my mirrors.  Driver's side is worse.  Duct tape lasts about 20 minutes at 55 mph.  Where can I get some replacements?   Cheap.  

IMG_20160601_103344386.jpg

IMG_20160601_103329220.jpg

Nappa, autozone? take an angle grinder to the old ones bolt and cut it if its seized ; you should end up with a mount hole it looks like.

then use the ones from nearest auto place that has a bolt through mount.

35 minutes ago, Totem said:

Nappa, autozone? take an angle grinder to the old ones bolt and cut it if its seized ; you should end up with a mount hole it looks like.

then use the ones from nearest auto place that has a bolt through mount.

Ok.  So I don't need to replace the whole.assembly just the actual mirror?

thats up to you; you can use some of the assembly it seems.. so the mirrors seem to be on a "L" shaped mount that goes to the quadra pod thats bolted into the door. to me i would leave the quadra pod part and remove the mirror and L bracket.. this would leave a vertical mount point (where each leg of the quadra pod come together)

My current rig has a different style mount but I still used newer mirrors on the factory mount with a bit of ingenuity; seems you could also.

I'll assume that the way it works is that there's a bolt that goes up into the curved part that holds your mirror. The bolt is supposed to hold the 4 'legs' and also be tightened to stop the mirror rotating? And now the bolt is rusted in place and not holding the mirror tight? How about drilling a (small) hole in the curved piece so that you could get some PB Blaster inside above the rusted threads?

Or you could always put a torch on it which will usually get any rusted fastener loose. Of course you'll have to repaint.

Or you could grab a grinder, but that'll still leave you with the remains of your rusted bolt to remove. :)

• 8 months later...

BRIAN, thanks for the link. mill supply carries VELVAC mirrors that look exactly like the velvac mirrors on my 92 warrior. if i ever need to replace i know where to get them ! price reasonable too. thanks again. joe from dover.