While running errands

I glanced this RV poking out from behind a rental van.  This RV or one like it with a slide got some mention a bit back.  Plates indicates it's a long way from where it is from.  No one was around and was more than uncomfortable with investigating further.  I did notice the door is taped up with plastic so something is likely being worked on.

I'm seeing more Toyota RV's than typical lately.  Perhaps now that I've gone semi-retired and self-employed, I have more time to notice.

slide.jpg

I see the specs have the same disclailmer I see on most other Toyota RVs.   "560 lbs. in weight of passengers and supplies to motorhome equipped as a test coach."

So what exactly is a "test coach" supposed to be?

that thing is totally awesome. I had thought prior to this the only rig with a slide out was the older toyota huntsman.

Derek how many models with slide outs did the various vendors make? just those two? (pioneer, huntsman)

4 hours ago, jdemaris said:

I see the specs have the same disclaimer I see on most other Toyota RVs.   "560 lbs. in weight of passengers and supplies to motorhome equipped as test coach."

So what exactly is a "test coach" supposed to be?

The way I understand a 'test coach' would be the MH 'as tested' (i.e. same options, etc.). It looks as though they actually put them across the scales as part of their road test.

Just now, Derek up North said:

The Huntsman with a slide seems to have slipped past me. :)

so is that a cryptic way of saying you aren't sure or don't know?

maybe i am thinking of the last one in here that was improperly identified as a huntsman and then corrected by someone to be a Pioneer; which was the only other time i have seen one in here.

Edited by Totem

found a couple articles where people thought they had dolphins or huntsmans but indeed they turned out to be Pioneers. SO it appears there was only one maker.

also stumbled upon a couple different folks that were going to try an build their own slide outs into their toyota Rvs , one was a sunrader. Anyone know if the people ever pulled it off and did it>? -curious.

Edited by Totem

There was a member here considering adding a slide-out to his rig but I don't think it was a Sunrader. I gave him contact info for my friend Frank since he was going to be traveling through Phoenix and Frank owned a Pioneer at the time. He could have looked at how it was built. He never contacted Frank. Don't know why. Pioneer had some other innovative designs with their other RV's. The rear bed model with no slide out had a big closet that pivoted out of the bathroom shower area. Lots of storage and bigger bathroom but closet blocked galley when you took a shower.

Linda S

you also had a mechanic/rv builder guy who joined with a "customer" that wanted to build a slide into a sunrader and turn it into a 4x4 and add, among other things, on the roof a nautical observation deck like those on small yachts. I'm assuming that never panned out either. 

• 5 months later...

Hope I am allowed to do this and in no way want to hijack this thread. Saw a Four Seasons Pioneer listed for sale on Classifieds, and we are interested to buy. This would be our first Toyota MH for my wife and I. We are young couple looking to go out on a road trip. Debating between a Sunrader and this Pioneer. I have been following this forum for quite sometime and I guess posts here brainwashed me to somehow own a Sunrader. The knowledgeable folks here could please step in and throw some light :)

Heleto

Its  not the RV that matters, its the previous owner(s). There some really ugly Sunraders out there.

One other consideration is vertical room or headroom in the overcab bunk.  The Sunrader has less.  For some people this means nothing.  For others it is very important.  Your choice.

Thank you for your replies. I did contact the owner and got few questions answered. The owner was very accommodating in answering my questions, but only owned if for few months and does not have some answers. Its not that the owner does not want to answer, but both of us have limited knowledge. We live in NC and far from New Fairfield, CT., which is where the MH is located. So trying to get as many answers as possible before I make a decision and fly out. If any of the members is out there, it could be of great help both the the current owner and myself :) Hope it all works out. 

On 11/19/2016 at 10:56 PM, linda s said:

Same rig from when the last owner had it. Was in much better condition. This new owner trashed it in no time

20140316_133622.jpg

20140214_154409.jpg

20141115_145410+%281%29.jpg

10299928_765372643494264_5785066373820673831_n.jpgYeah it doesnt look that great anymore,thats a shame

20140223_142937.jpg