Totally new to RV Ownership

1 hour ago, Wade said:

The way that I understand it, one group of Ford engineers raised the issue of roll over concerns and wanted suspension changes to mitigate the issue.

Wade

My father-in-law was one of the engineers involved in Explorer-handling testing.  Even he isn't sure what the heck went on in any collective sense.  Each engineer gets specific projects and makes specific reports.  Seems even if you work there, it is not easy to see the "forest through the trees."  I know this.  He was there and is not sure.  I wasn't there and therefore am even less sure. I DO know this.  Ford released the same vehicles with the same PSIG recommendations with Goodyear and Firestone tires.  NO issues with the ones with the Goodyear.   Some of the Firestone tires had tread-separation but it has never been proven they were defective. Just did not handle abuse as well as the Goodyears.  My father-in-law was also involved in the Ford-military-Jeep redesign and with that - they DID have many roll-overs for sure and the whole projected got canned.  Ford had come up with a "better handling" idea for military Jeeps and built prototypes with independent front suspensions.  After many roll-overs - even Ford decided it was a real bad idea.  Seems the front wheels kind of folded into themselves, kind of like the first Chevy Corvairs did in the rear.  I'm waiting for Ralph Nader to chime in.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Dgillies said:

So i cant exactly read that table thats provided....:/ can someone tell me what the yokohama 356's are best inflated to?

muchas gracias

load and inflation tables.PNG

Edited by jjrbus

11 minutes ago, Dgillies said:

cool, so this weight rating is for 1 tire, which means with four tires at 62 psi on each is good for a rig of 6942lbs?

No, but close.  Weight is not going to be even on all four tires so you cannot just multiply the rating of one times four.  Besides there always being more weight on the back axle then the front, there is also "bias" when the weight shifts back and forth depending on inclines, turns, etc.

Here is some info from the Toyota 1990 cab & chassis manual with max specs.  5600 lbs. for a single-wheel truck and 6000 lbs. for dual-rear-wheel. I think 1990 is the first year of this highest GVWR rating.

1990 toyota cab chassis manual.jpg

1990 toyota cab chassis manual2.jpg