What's my Sunrader Adventure worth?

TacomaSue

Hi All:  Been awhile since I have visited with you.   I am considering selling my 1986 Toyota Sunrader Adventure (Sunrader pop-top) and am wondering what it a good selling price might be.   I posted pictures when I worked on it in past years and would be glad to send additional pictures so that you might evaluate it and make a realistic estimated sales price.   The rig runs smoothly with about 110,000 miles, dual rear wheels.    I have kept meticulous records and get 18-19 mpg (a bit less in mountainous terrain).   I replaced the original seats with SR5 seats and I have rebuilt much of the couch--including new headliner and led lights (brighter than daylight), cooktop, sink and full extension drawers under the cooktop, new cushions and dinning table.   The windshield was replaced and the passenger side window post was rebuilt by a body shop.  All windows were resealed.   An additional rear tail-light with brake light was added for increased visibility.  With the top down, the interior is about 5-foot; with the top up, the interior height is about 6-foot 2-inches.   It is 18-foot long and can be parked in most garages. The carpeted floor had been replaced before I got it.    I replaced the three-way refrigerator with a 12-V cooler that has worked well for me.  Problems:  The side door lock has never worked exactly right and I am in the process of replacing (rebuilding) the lock to use another type of lock.  The tail pipe needs to be replaced and you need to be careful not to overfill the gray water tank.   Oh yes, and the bed size is 48" x 72"---a bit tight for someone over 6-foot; not a problem for me at 5.0'      Thanks for any help you can give me about this.   Sue 

Hey Sue. sorry you decided to let it go. I know you did lots of work on it. They are such cool rigs but so rare it's hard to put a price on it. Gail gets the best price on EBay for the rigs she refurbishes. Widest possible audience. She takes lots of really good pictures and writes a clear description off all the nice things about it and everything she's done. Much like you just wrote in this post. Also you should mention that it's got a real toilet not a porta potty. Almost unheard of in a pop top. Good luck. Sorry we never got together. Post more pics. Most people don't even know what a Sunrader Adventure is.

Linda S

Thanks Linda:  Good to hear from you.  I would have posted pictures, but the great Apple/Mac System has changed photos are stored and it is difficult to retrieve photos taken over a year ago.    I will  figure it out in a couple days and post some pictures.  This is a pretty sweet rig, but I'm just not getting out enough to make it make sense to keep it.  I do not have a garage for storage and the gel coat needs to be under cover or it will deteriorate.    I have deliberately not kept track of the money I've spent on the Toy---$100 here, a $100 there (I think it was over $500 for the new windshield plus rebuilding the post on passenger side to hold the glass in)....probably a total around  $5000 -$6000 (including the purchase price).  

I'm sorry we never had a chance to get together.   I'd pack up and come down to visit next week (even if you did not invite me) if I were not committed for the next two to three weeks.  Really miss the interaction with everyone on this forum.  Sue   

• 1 month later...
On June 1, 2016 at 0:22 AM, linda s said:

Hey Sue. sorry you decided to let it go. I know you did lots of work on it. They are such cool rigs but so rare it's hard to put a price on it. Gail gets the best price on EBay for the rigs she refurbishes. Widest possible audience. She takes lots of really good pictures and writes a clear description off all the nice things about it and everything she's done. Much like you just wrote in this post. Also you should mention that it's got a real toilet not a porta potty. Almost unheard of in a pop top. Good luck. Sorry we never got together. Post more pics. Most people don't even know what a Sunrader Adventure is.

Linda S

Linda:   I sold my Sunrader Adventure this week to Wally who bought by Bandit, 3 years ago.    He was extremely pleased with how well the Adventure drove and how much more stable it was on the road than the Bandit.   He really wanted a bigger motorhome as he is carrying more weight now.  The Adventure was beautiful when it left here...but needed several minor repairs/updates.       Sue 

I agree, the Adventure is perfect for Baja.   Lots of ventilation with the top up and better traction on the sandy roads.   I delivered the Adventure to Wally, then he drove me back home....during the 2 hrs home, he was making a list of improvements he wanted to do.....what fun!   If you are coming up this way to visit family, ...give a whistle.    Sue  

I will be in Seattle sometime this summer but probably won't have time to drive up so will fly in. Girlfriend just bought a house in Sultan. If you would be willing to make the drive I'm sure she would welcome you. Let you know when I make my plans

Linda S

• 2 years later...

So only 250 Bandits made, is there any guess re: how many are still on the road?

does anybody have a manual?

Are there brake, axle, or other mechanical upgrades Bandit owners have found useful?

is there supposed to be a bunk above the body of the camper, below the top, above the built ins?

tell me anything you want to share about Bandits.  I was thinking there was not a lot of discussion, and now I know why.

Edited by Bandit Jo
I wanted to click the notify button. That opportunity seems lost

The pop top Bandits were made from the late 70's to 1989 or 1990. There are 2 V6 ones that I know of. Think there might have been more than 250 made. Still rare though. Unless someone here has a manual I don't know of where any are listed. I will look around. Engine and chassis is just an 84 Toyota truck. Lots of info available for that. Tried to post pictures of the 89 my friend used to own but they are no longer online.

Linda S

Bandit Jo--Welcome to the Toyota website, your best source for great information about "oldie, but goodies" Toyota motorhomes.    I had a 1977 Bandit for 2-3 years and LOVED it.   Great rig.  The Bandit was designed to provide sleeping space over the cab although I only slept there a few times.  I used the space over the cab for storage and as a work space.  The previous owners used the space over the cab as a bed all the time.     I rebuilt the bench seats to be a few inches taller for more storage and used that area for sleeping.  The table top fit between the two benches and the back cushions on the benches acted as mattresses.  I did quite a bit of work.  I replaced the old carpet with vinyl flooring, and put new seat covers on the old seatsI am attaching pictures of my bandit.  

The inside picture of the bench seats are the 1977 original seats and table.    I will try to attach some additional pictures and this Bandit next to  a 1986, but these are old pictures and sometimes my computer bulks at transferring old pictures.  

I did not have a manual, but used a 1977 factory truck manual for under-the-hood information and electrical.  It was very helpful.  What I had for a manual went with the motorhome.  The current owner told me a year ago that this Bandit was just about on it's last leg.   He drove it to Baja each year and last year he had to stop several times to make repairs.   So do not know if it is still on the road.  

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Bandit Jo--Welcome to the Toyota website, your best source for great information about "oldie, but goodies" Toyota motorhomes.    I had a 1977 Bandit for 2-3 years and LOVED it.   Great rig.  The Bandit was designed to provide sleeping space over the cab although I only slept there a few times.  I used to over the cab space for storage and as a work space.  The previous owners used the space over the cab as a bed all the time.     I rebuilt the bench seats to be a few inches taller for more storage and used that area for sleeping.  The table top fit between the two benches and the back cushions on the benches acted as mattresses.  I did quite a bit of work.  I replaced the old carpet with vinyl flooring, but new seat covers on the old seats

I am attaching pictures of two bandits that were here in the Pacific NW. Mine is the smaller of the two on the left from the rear end.  The interior layout was slightly different.  The '76 Bandit had a curtain that closed off the whole back end of the camper for a port a potty.    In the '86 the potty was under a cabinet more toward the front.   Ibelieve the '86 was a v6.   It was located in Portland and had been pretty extensively updated.    Sue     

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

I have had a ‘87 Bandit for 9 years. I love it! I live in eastern WA where it gets very hot in the summer, so the poptop is perfect for our climate. I really enjoy sleeping ‘upstairs’ in the summer. Because of our heat, I wish my rig was white, not black, so I will get it repainted someday.

My rig is a bit different than the other Bandits, however. It is a 4x4 on a Dogde Ram 50 chassis (which is really a Mitsubishi Mighty Max). The interior is basically original, although I did replace the countertop plastic edging with wood veneer and added some shelves inside the cupboards. I also have the rear curtain that can be drawn to provide privacy while on the potty. I am in the process of re-doing the camper headliner (which was also on the upright columns). However, before I redo it I want to add some support, insulation and a couple of vents/fans. 

8E23593F-0A39-4F6A-9886-B5FB5966A51E.jpeg

C7EAA56A-0FFC-4B30-9611-600FFABAA547.jpeg

258DEAE0-4F5F-4411-8A14-F79F29AA6111.jpeg

C4F54FBB-3F32-4E04-A546-52A34CC6B738.jpeg

FD6268D9-1E4E-4331-AAAE-2621F64C35D3.jpeg

F5287958-CD47-4653-B30B-508553DCC648.jpeg

EDECA100-72CE-482E-ACF4-F55D3B5F2BBC.jpeg

F9CD2265-B49C-4815-A500-67F257904230.jpeg

Freestone:   Really nice pictures.   It looks like your Bandit is in great shape. And, would travel well on the 4x4.   Thanks for sharing.  I really loved my Bandit.    Wishing you well.  Sue 

Thanks, Sue. It is in good shape but I could fill a notebook with all the things I would love to do to it, especially when I see everyone ‘s make-overs. I try to restrain myself though and just use it. However, going 35 mph up Snoqualmie and Stevens is frustrating so I wouldn’t mind more horsepower and a lighter weight interior. My wise mechanic has convinced me to save my money just live with the slowww, LOL. Luckily, I mostly stay on my side of the mountains. But if there is ever a NW Toy camping trip that I can make, I’d gladly cross the pass to attend.

Freestone, aka Sue too.

• 5 months later...

I’m about to fly from Seattle to New York to take possession of an ‘87 Bandit that was gifted to me. I will be driving it up to Vermont to keep it at a friend’s farm until next spring. He will do some work on it over the summer, and in the fall I’m planning to go back to winterize and store it in a barn. Excited about (hopefully) touring eastern Canada in it next summer.  

Would be nice to chat with you other Bandit owners (and past owners) sometime. I’ve had an ‘84 VW Vanagon Westfalia for years but this will be my first Toyota camper. 

595901AD-C97F-4BC4-BFB6-E1AB34FBE420.jpeg

37C602E0-8912-4E0E-97B2-A1D2F121CF36.jpeg