Awning

Thom

I am looking for an awning for my '91 SeaBreeze. It looks like it has a rail that can mount one, I just don't know what to get. Any help would be greatly apprecited.

Edited by Thom

are you looking more for one of the big permanent-mount free-standing ones like Carefree of Colorado makes, or more one of the "bag" type awnings such as ARB, Fiamma, Smittybilt, dometic?  former is far easier to deploy but weighs a lot and requires good strong mounting points on the side of rig for lower end of arms.  I have the 9' dometic and have not been impressed with sturdiness; looking at the ARB.

19 minutes ago, Thom said:

I am looking for an awning for my '91 SeaBreeze. It looks like it has a rail that can mount one, I just don't know what to get. Any help would be greatly apprecited.

I have a complete awning setup off a 21 foot Toyota RV.  It's the roll-up type with aluminum supports (NOT a bag-awning).  I'd sell very reasonable but shipping would be a killer.  It's very heavy and thus the reason I decided I do not want it on my Toyota. I have added a lot of weight to it always trying to "make it better."  Now, I am going to put it on a diet and start stripping things I rarely if ever use.   I'm in northern Michigan near the Mackinac Bridge.

awnings, in my humble, are for more long term duration stays... I never stay in the same place over a couple days and generally speaking if sun is an issue we just move the chairs to the side of the rig making shade. we also carry a beach umbrella.

agree with the weight dieting on the toy; gotta make sure you achieve maximum efficiency with minimum weight. its why i don't have a permanent 12 volt compressor and instead air up my bags each trip at the morning with the porto mini compressor.

Payaso del mar, not looking for the "bag" type. More so the permanent-mount free-standing. Did not think they were so heavy. Maybe I should consider a 10x10 portable shade pop-up.

I know many people that use the accordion expanding 10 x 10s. cheap efficient, can be staked down for higher wind and even better you can order them with custom logos like "TOYOTA" or "HONDA" though in my case i might have them put "BEER" just for fun to meet new people.

Edited by Totem

• 5 months later...

I use my "homemade" awning a lot to keep firewood/stuff dry. All I had was a pre-mounted 1/2" x 12' track. I used five 10-24 x 1" eye bolts and nuts that slide into the track. They can be tightened as needed to fit a cheap 10x12 tarp (5 grommets). I attach tarp to five small carabiners which attach to eye bolts. I used some old 6' tent stakes for the ends and staked down them using bungee cords. I used it at a concert where the winds were horrible. It moved with the wind, but did not collapse or bust anything. You may call me cheap.

I'm a fan of permanent roll out awnings. The beauty of them, is it takes 30 seconds to roll out and can shade the whole living space. I found it invaluable in my old rig living off the grid.

On 11/14/2016 at 6:23 PM, theRat said:

I use my "homemade" awning a lot to keep firewood/stuff dry. All I had was a pre-mounted 1/2" x 12' track. I used five 10-24 x 1" eye bolts and nuts that slide into the track. They can be tightened as needed to fit a cheap 10x12 tarp (5 grommets). I attach tarp to five small carabiners which attach to eye bolts. I used some old 6' tent stakes for the ends and staked down them using bungee cords. I used it at a concert where the winds were horrible. It moved with the wind, but did not collapse or bust anything. You may call me cheap.

I love cheap, got a pic of the setup? always looking to put good HF tarps to work.