Inverter for Micro wave

Hi Guys, 

I picked up a 1000 watt inverter and plan to hard wire a micro wave ( I am planning on buying the smallest one - maybe 600 watt) to it. Does anybody know if that will work?

If the 1000 watts is surge capacity, likely not.  Maybe borrow a small micro and try it first?  JD mentioned a Panasonic inverter micro, which seems to use less juice than most.

On 2016-05-23 at 6:15 PM, davidtan said:

Hi Guys, 

I picked up a 1000 watt inverter and plan to hard wire a micro wave (I am planning on buying the smallest one - maybe 600 watt) to it. Does anybody know if that will work?

A typical microwave oven, even a small one like 600 watts, uses around 1400-1500 watts to run.  A 1000  watt inverter is kind of small, and I'm talking about an inverter really rated for 1000 watts continuous and 2000 watts surge.  All that "600 watts" refers to is the actual cooking power and has nothing to do with how much power it uses to run.

one of my favorite tools in the box.. is one Jon Mc advised me to get in here.. they have them at harbor freight ..called the Watts up meter.

its a glorified wall plug adaptor with a lcd screen that will tell you exactly what the start and usage watts or amps are drawing from whats plugged in.

They are about $25 at HF. they take out the "emotion" many people use in here and present facts and truth as to what your device uses and what it will need in order to start and run. A great way to know just how much generator or inverter one needs to buy or conversely what stress is being put upon it.

Edited by Totem

I doubt it will work very well.  The surge will probably cause problems and it will draw on your batteries quite a bit. 

it is possible, but I think you really need 120vac - do you have a generator?

I tried it (not hard wired - just plugged the whole RV into the inverter and turned the micro on and "IT WORKED". Now to figure out where to put it....I think best under the dinning table seat