What size tires can you put on if the old ones are 185R14C? I have a 1991 Toyota SeaBreeze with duel rears. The tire shops say I am missing a number. NOT!!!

Yes you can still buy the right size tires. Here are a few examples from an online company.

http://www.tires-easy.com/tires/185-Blank-14?filtering=,price

Shipping price is set to my zip code so yours could be more or less depending on where you are. Also quite a few on EBay. Just put in the size and they will come up. You could also try taking your tire guy a list of the models of these tires. Most of them don't even come in a size with an aspect ratio. Strange, I needed a tire in a tiny little out of the way place a while back and the only tire place in town came up with 4 different tires he could order for me. No question about the weird size. Some people know their stuff and some should be working at McDonald's

Linda S

1 hour ago, Thom said:

What size tires can you put on if the old ones are 185R14C?

Your tire size choices are:- 185R14, 195R14 & 195/75R14 in either Load Range 'C' or 'D'. Some might try to sell you an ST185R14. No good because the 'ST' indicates a tire for Trailer Service Only.

And also refuse a 185R14 that isn't Load Range 'C' (minimum) or 'D'. They do exist, if you have deep pockets and know where to look for them. :)

https://www.cokertire.com/catalogsearch/result/?header_year=1967&header_make=MERCEDES&header_model=250&q=185R14

so avoid the tire monkeys unless you're on the road and have no choice.  I've never dealt with anyone less than knowledgeable at Tire Rack.  they appear to have 3 choices in the C and D rated 185R14s:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=185%2F&ratio=0&diameter=14&rearWidth=255%2F&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code

and did I mention that 27x 8.5-14 LT tires fit in the wheel wells of at least the 84-89 generation chassis?  plenty of load capacity but over an inch larger diameter (26.8 vs 25.7" for 185-14) so it will effectively regear you.  better if you have a lighter vehicle and/or have regeared to a lower (higher numeric) rear end. 

15 minutes ago, payaso del mar said:

and did I mention that 27x 8.5-14 LT tires fit in the wheel wells of at least the 84-89 generation chassis?

Those are nominally the width of a 215 tire. Are you sure they're not too wide for a dually application?

They're also only rated for 1520lb @ 50psig, less that a 185R14 LR C (1600lb @ 50psig).

I know a guy that had a "fleet" of Toyota 1 ton dually box trucks.   All he ever used were the cheapest P185/75-14" car tires and did fine.  The reality is - they have more weight capacity then any Toyota 1 ton is ever supposed have in weight.  Would not be my choice because of the thinner sidewalls that could be cut more easily on all the gravel roads I travel on. Also a little smaller diameter.  I've got a set on my diesel Isuzu 4WD pickup and have been putting incredible loads on that poor thing for  years and  it is used mostly in the woods or gravel roads.  Tires are Douglas brand and $46 each at Walmart.  Got six of them on my little Toyota Chinook.  I only have them on because it  had NO tires on it at all when I was moving and I needed tires right away. It was what Walmart had at the time. They argued with me that their valves would fit my 6 lug Toyota dually (TOPY) rims.  Then after the service manager broke six in a row, he gave up and THEN wanted to charge me for them.  Needless to say I did not pay.  I went across the street to a motorcycle and ATV dealer and got some metric ATV valves that fit the rims properly (very short though).

When I got my new Federal 8 ply rated tires here in Michigan for my Minicruiser - the shop thought the tires were not available with the null number in the middle  But he let use his computer and I found them in stock at his tire-supplier's warehouse and had them the next morning.  

Image8.jpg

Image4.jpg

48 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Those are nominally the width of a 215 tire. Are you sure they're not too wide for a dually application?

They're also only rated for 1520lb @ 50psig, less that a 185R14 LR C (1600lb @ 50psig).

damn, you're right on the latter for sure.  I thought I recalled a higher # on the sidewall of the ones on my rear.  and yeah, I didn't think about dually issues.  I forget that what works for a tiny MH like a bandit or chinook may not on a big'un.......

honestly, the more I learn about the old chassis, the more I want to drop the Bandit onto a 4WD tundra...........the camper portion deserves to not be stuck in the early 80s like the rest of the truck is, and 2400 lbs load capacity per tire (265/70R16) should be adequate even w/o doolies.

8 hours ago, fudimo said:

I just bought some Yokohama 185 r 14 D's from tirerack.com $100.00 ea.

Is the $100 a tire mounted and balanced, installed?    Jim

I can't speak for the other guy. I got my Federal Ecovan 8-ply rated tires, mounted and balanced,  in Northern Michigan, for $92 each.

11 hours ago, payaso del mar said:

I forget that what works for a tiny MH like a bandit or chinook may not on a big'un.......

I don't see why not considering the big ones have four tires in back, as compared to two in back for little Chinooks and Bandits.  That's why many Chinooks came with Firestone L60-14" in back that had 12-14" wide tread.  Not for weight carry, more for handling (according the people that made the motorhomes).

On the subject of 14" tires and weight load.   Winnebago Lesharo, Centuri, and Phasar only had single 14" tires in back on four-lug wheels and yet had a higher GVWR then any Toyota RV ever made. 1987 had a GVWR of 6677 lbs.  1986 was a hair lower.   Lots of problems with those French-sourced vehicles - but not tires, wheels, or axles.

WinnePhasar.JPG

Just looked on the Yahoo Lesharo Group and this is one that they talk about.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857

Yes, I know that Tirerack lists them as 'Trailer Only'. No idea why, I don't think anyone else does so and they're not marked ST205/75R14

http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/category/truck-suv/7EAB87AD-62DC-4D82-897E-E59335DE416C

" For commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailer. "

I tend to think that LT and ST tires aren't that different in design:  increased sidewall stiffness as compared to p tires seems to be common to both.

i'd been looking at the Q from the other direction:  using an LT tire on a trailer, to get a trailer tire that was a little more puncture resistant when aired down.  and yeah, when home, just order the right tire.....but I suspect you could use ST tire in a pinch if on the road

Thank you to all who have posted. I found tires at a local shop (Discount Tire) and they are on order. All is right with the world.....

On 5/17/2016 at 5:17 AM, jjrbus said:

Is the $100 a tire mounted and balanced, installed?    Jim

Sorry for the late reply. The tires were Hundred bucks ea without mount and bal, I took the MH to a local tire shop and had them done.

Jim,

I got some Yokohama tires. Same 185R14's for $95ea + mount and balance at Discount Tires. Great service and very knowledgeable. Very happy.....

Edited by Thom