1987 Winnebago Toyota 20'--buying advice

Hey....my first post here, even though I've been following this site for a few months now.

This gem has just come across my path (and basically in my own backyard). I'm hoping you good folks can help me sort out if this is a good price for (supposed) excellent condition on this vehicle. I've had my eye out for one of these...

Also, should I be worried about power with the 4-cylinder? I don't mind slow speeds. I'm interested in the ++mpg and the solid drivetrain. Just me and the lady, hitting the road.

Also, this would be my first RV. Any advice on what to check for when viewing and what to think about would be appreciated. I'm looking to take this baby all over the place! Full time RV it for 6 months.

Thanks in advance!   J

Welcome to the forum, lot's of good info and helpful people.

On something this old there is no set value, it depends a lot on condition and is worth what someone will pay.  No matter what you pay some will say WAAAY too much and others will say  Great deal!  Keeping in mind at that price it is way less then the first year depreciation on a new one.

The two biggies I have seen is the AC does not work and they say it just needs charged.   If the AC needs charged it is broken and needs an $$$$$ fix.

Tires, lots of tread, but several years old.  Unless you have experience in the transportation industry and can inspect a tire of unknown service, tires should be replaced at 7 years old.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

read through the archives and see what people are working on will give you a better idea of what to look for.      Jim

I know two people who owned Dolphins, Sunraders, and Winne Warriors and both claim the Warrior gets slightly better fuel mileage and is nicer to drive.  I do not own any of those three so cannot comment on my own experience. I have a couple of 70s Toyota Chinooks and a 1988 20 foot Toyota Minicruiser.  I would expect 14 MPG with that Winnebago if kept no faster then 55-60 MPH.  This road-test reports very high fuel mileage that does not reflect what actual owners report that I've spoken with.  My 20 foot Minicruiser with the 2.4 FI engine and auto trans gets 14 MPG.  Yes, I can boast a few odd-ball tankfulls that calculated at over 16 MPG.  I could also report a few that came in at 11 MPG.

If in real nice shape - the price is not unusual. I would not pay it, but that is just me.  I've had chances to buy 20-21 foot Winnebagos in prices ranges from $1800 up to $11,000.  Seen one real nice one last summer for $3200 (a 1989).

Here is the old road-test.  Again, do not base your fuel mileage expectations on what they report. Most official road tests for these rigs come in around 13-15 MPG. 

Image1a.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Guy, thanks for the replies. Jim, I'll be sure to double check the A/C and the Tires. It's definitely at the very high end of what I could pay for something right now, but I am attracted to the seemingly excellent condition. As far as MPG goes, I too would be pretty surprised if this thing got 18-19, but even 14-15 is much better than the 8 mpg that most other motorhomes seems to get.

No response from the seller yet to my inquiry. I'll check back in with y'all about it. This thing is about an hour drive away from me and I live in the sticks of upstate NY, so the proximity is very appealing.

Justin

Have you ever driven one?  I ask because if you haven't - maybe you should drive one first and see what you think. I had a 4WD diesel RV before my Toyota. I could drive all day at 65-70 MPH and get 16-17 MPG doing it with the big diesel. I could also tow a trailer if wanted.   The reason why I am using a Toyota instead is because of ease of use.  I am 5' 9", 170 lbs. and it is a perfect fit for me, my wife, kid, and old and getting fat Border Collie.  It does not feel like a motorhome when driving it and is very easy to park.  It is also easy to back up when in tight places.   I guess some people try them and hate them and some love them.  I am in the latter class.  Mine gets worse fuel mileage then the bigger rig I had before and I also have to drive a lot slower.  I prefer it anyway.  My wife can drive it without being scared and we just feel secure inside of it.  Maybe if I was 6' 4" and weighed 300 lbs. I'd feel differently.

I just clicked the link. The ad has been removed by author.

Could already have been sold.