Footwell flooding after heavy rain, Toyota Odyssey

Hi Guys,

Just finished rebuilding the whole roof with EPDM rubber for my Odyssey and was waiting for the first big rain to test it. All was good apart from a small leak from one of the skylights. Need to reattach it.

But there was another problem, my nice new roof carried the water and dropped it to the grills in front of the windshield. And from there considerable amount leaked into both footwells. 

i could not figure how to get inside the grills and check where the water is coming inside. 

Has anyone had a similar problems? I had a similar issue with my 1996 Audi A4 and it was a blocked drainhole. But I can't get inside the grill and can't really find the drain hole. 

Checked the Haynes manual, and also the original Toyota service manual but no success. Might have to tape them over as a stopgap solution, but it means all the water will get in the engine compartment instead of the footwells.

The base truck is Toyota 22-RE 1987

Thanks

Nikolay

I had leaks coming in both bottom corners of the windshield area in my 85Dolphin. I thought it was something to do with the chases and the grill area, but it turns out it was the windshield itself. I siliconed it and that was the end of the problem.

There is supposed to be a drain at each end of the cowl. Over time leafs and junk plug up the drains. Some times a long wire and a drill will open them.

Remove the wiper blade arms and then remove the grill. You should be able to follow the cowl bottom and the drains are at the very outside edge. I've used the inside part of a speedo cable and drill. 

if you have any friends who are gittar pickers, an old low "E" string also works very well for coring/dentalflossing out holes....and bronze wound, so not likely to gouge steel

• 4 weeks later...

even without the drip guard, water should not come in to the cabin from the grills in front of the windshield.  That is where fresh air enters the defrost/heater/vent system.  If water is coming in there, something could be wrong in that system.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding moisture down in the bottom of the cab now, too, on my 91 Warrior. Sounds like windshield and grills-in-front-of-windshield are likely suspects, yes? Any other suggestions out there?

Edited by Ctgriffi