Maximum occupancy?

gringostar

Hey all, 

I have a 1986 20' Mini-Cruiser.  What do you think the maximum occupancy is in terms of adults (I don't have any kids.  Or we could assume 1 adult = 2 kids if you like.)  Years ago, I drove a 1976 Chinook around with 7 adults and it bottomed out around corners.  That is, around corners the wheels scraped against the wheel wells.  Luckily, I didn't have to drive to0 far.  Now, the 1986 Mini-Cruiser is bigger than the 1976 Chinook.  I believe it was a 16 footer.  This is a 20 footer.  Any ideas???  Personal experiences?  

Edited by gringostar

How many seat belts? You have around 700lbs load capacity.

I see no exemptions for seat belts on motorhomes in California. Even all the older motorhomes I see came originally with seat belts in the back. So unless you want to get your RV classified as a limo " click it or ticket".

Linda S

34 minutes ago, linda s said:

I see no exemptions for seat belts on motorhomes in California. Even all the older motorhomes I see came originally with seat belts in the back. So unless you want to get your RV classified as a limo " click it or ticket".

Linda S

From the CA DMV website 

Safety Belts

Always wear your safety belt when driving. Even though many RVs accommodate passengers in places where safety belts are not required by federal law (i.e., dining table), if the area has a safety belt-wear it. Riding in a place which is not equipped with a safety belt increases the danger of injury in case of a collision.

From CA department of public health vehicle occupancy safety program.

There was one private site that attempted to classify all of the states and their laws. I'm guessing they erroneously just called the first chp they could find and were given incorrect information.  

Screenshot_2016-05-12-22-38-45.png

Screenshot_2016-05-12-22-40-01.png

I'd call my 1988 20' Minicruiser a 6 passenger vehicle max.  Not much room for more unless people lay on the floor or sit in the bathroom.  The weight does not worry me at all.  I've got extra leafs on the springs and air-bags.  How much human weight you want to cram withiout bottoming out depends what  your suspension is like. 

MGVW-empty weight=carry capacity. Carry capacity/175=#of adults you can SAFELY carry.

Not concerned about safety?, then 15 is as good a number as any.

are you talking for a long trip, or just across town?  yes, in theory you still should have seat belts for everyone.  no, in reality, the seat belt attachment points in many RVs aren't always very stout, to the point that rear belts are sometimes only "advisory" as far as keeping you in place.

does anyone else see the irony in Cali being the LESS regulated place for once?  go figger.

1225# of people in an all ready overloaded MH is a lot of weight!

Based on the dialog here, your question is more of one about weight capacity than anything.  Some of these are a lot heavier than others with fundamentally close to the same chassis.  The other variable is also going to be what shape that chassis is in.  That said, if all is in good shape, load it up with what you would normally pack and have it weighed at a truck stop.  I weighed mine after I ripped out and replaced a bunch of stuff and wanted an idea of baseline.  There was a thread on here where people had posted their rigs weight.  My short Itasca was well under 6k loaded to go.  Some of the bigger units others have were a lot heavier.  So I stopped worrying about it.  For me it is my wife and I. Wouldn't ever consider more than the two of us for anything short of a day trip.  Besides my wife, I can't think of anyone I like enough to spend in that tight of quarters. 

Occasionally we take it out for fishing trips where the rolling home is handy.   We'll have up to 5 adults on these short day trips.  Mine is one year newer and a bit shorter than yours.