Found a Generator

Ctgriffi

8 hours ago, Derek up North said:

In my experience, those open frame generators make a lot of mechanical noise as well as exhaust noise. Refilling the fuel tank would also require lifting them in and out of the enclosure too.

I would bet a million dollars both those gens are quieter then the gen that's in it now.I think if they would fit in there a work around could be made to fill them with gas and extend the muffler so it's blowing outside the coach area.But being able to do all that and then have the pull start in the right place where you could get to it is another story.Perfect scenario would be a drawer that slides in and out with gen sitting on it.

Propane for generator anyone???

3 hours ago, redskinman said:

I would bet a million dollars both those gens are quieter then the gen that's in it now.I think if they would fit in there a work around could be made to fill them with gas and extend the muffler so it's blowing outside the coach area.But being able to do all that and then have the pull start in the right place where you could get to it is another story.Perfect scenario would be a drawer that slides in and out with gen sitting on it.

Well you would lose a million dollars. You've got a Kohler, right? Yup they are pretty loud but the main reason it's so loud is that it's in your camper. Champion measures the noise at 23 feet at a quarter load. Start your current generator up and with nothing inside running walk 23 feet away. Amazing the difference some distance makes

Linda S

I believe 23'/7m is the industry standard distance for sound level measurements. Less of a standard (at least the numbers published in sales literature) seems to be the load that they're measured at. Some mention 1/4 or 1/2 load but many leave a blank. Makes it very hard to compare. Being suspicious by nature, I assume those that don't mention the load are hiding something and the number published might even be at idle! :)

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Well you would lose a million dollars. You've got a Kohler, right? Yup they are pretty loud but the main reason it's so loud is that it's in your camper. Champion measures the noise at 23 feet at a quarter load. Start your current generator up and with nothing inside running walk 23 feet away. Amazing the difference some distance makes

Linda S

I'll take that bet!:D I have a Champion 4000 watt Generator that is not as loud as that Kohler.I drove the rig thru the neighborhood with the gen running and people walking were looking at me like I was nuts because it was so loud.You ever seen the mosquito sprayer in the back of pickups going thru the neighborhood? Thats what it sounds like

1 minute ago, redskinman said:

I'll take that bet!:D I have a Champion 4000 watt Generator that is not as loud as that Kohler.I drove the rig thru the neighborhood with the gen running and people walking were looking at me like I was nuts because it was so loud.You ever seen the mosquito sprayer in the back of pickups going thru the neighborhood? Thats what it sounds like

I know my Kohler is loud but I was amazed one time in a parking lot where people can camp I was parked next to a pretty new RV that had the generator running. I started mine up just to compare and standing equal distance between them mine wasn't any louder than theirs. Outside at some distance it's quiet. Just sounds like a bat out of hell when your sitting on top of it inside the camper

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

I know my Kohler is loud but I was amazed one time in a parking lot where people can camp I was parked next to a pretty new RV that had the generator running. I started mine up just to compare and standing equal distance between them mine wasn't any louder than theirs. Outside at some distance it's quiet. Just sounds like a bat out of hell when your sitting on top of it inside the camper

Linda S

Inside the coach its loud but its not that bad,it's the outside noise that i'm talking about.I need to find some kind of baffle to hook up to it and see if I can quiet it down.I wonder if those decibel meters you get as a free app are any good to compare my 2 gens

17 minutes ago, redskinman said:

Inside the coach its loud but its not that bad,it's the outside noise that i'm talking about.I need to find some kind of baffle to hook up to it and see if I can quiet it down.I wonder if those decibel meters you get as a free app are any good to compare my 2 gens

I've heard some people have installed motorcycle mufflers that quieted it down. There are also venturi pipes that run to the roof that are supposed to work. They are expensive to buy but I thought they would be pretty easy to make. Way cheaper than when I last looked

Linda S

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=14041&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CPCCy6qNidMCFdq3wAodKxsJmQ

4 hours ago, linda s said:

I've heard some people have installed motorcycle mufflers that quieted it down. There are also venturi pipes that run to the roof that are supposed to work. They are expensive to buy but I thought they would be pretty easy to make. Way cheaper than when I last looked

Linda S

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=14041&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CPCCy6qNidMCFdq3wAodKxsJmQ

Hey thats pretty cool,I might attempt to make one,although all the reviews I read said it didnt reduce the sound that much but it's still nice to get those fumes up at the top.

Edited by redskinman

19 hours ago, redskinman said:

Sound pressure meters run between less than $20 to over $800.  So the cheap ones are probably going to lie as much as the generator makers do!

19 hours ago, linda s said:

Linda S

Yeah I have seen a couple home made ones on big RV's it does help.

On 4/3/2017 at 11:40 AM, WME said:

Propane for generator anyone???

I wonder how much of a hit the power output takes running on propane?

I would bet the muffler is OE and about as useful as a screen door on a submarine!

As far as fitting an inverter generator in the compartment, I know I could safely do it if I wanted to.

As far as not enclosing here is a Honda generator in a Honda sound box.

The exhaust extension can be made from 3" PVC, a premade exhaust curve and a bit of injunuity.     

honda.jpg

aaa.PNG

13 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

I would bet the muffler is OE and about as useful as a screen door on a submarine!

As far as fitting an inverter generator in the compartment, I know I could safely do it if I wanted to.

As far as not enclosing here is a Honda generator in a Honda sound box.

The exhaust extension can be made from 3" PVC, a premade exhaust curve and a bit of injunuity.     

honda.jpg

aaa.PNG

Yeah that 2nd pic was just what I had in mind.One thing I dont understand about the gen-turi is why is that gap in between pipe and exhaust? I'm sure theres an engineering reason behind it,seems like it would quiet it down more if pipe was completely over exhaust pipe

6 minutes ago, linda s said:

Cold air coming in from underneath helps suck the hot air out the top.

Linda S

See I knew there was a reason:) What happens if theres not a gap though? Isnt that exhaust still going to to the top? Or what about a pipe that covers the exhaust pipe but has a 1 or 2 " larger circumference,wouldnt that still allow colder air to to to be sucked in? They have probably went thru all the scenarios and decided their way works best

3 hours ago, redskinman said:

Yeah that 2nd pic was just what I had in mind.One thing I dont understand about the gen-turi is why is that gap in between pipe and exhaust? I'm sure theres an engineering reason behind it,seems like it would quiet it down more if pipe was completely over exhaust pipe

The gap to my understanding is to bring in air and keep the whole thing cool. Cool being a relative term.  PVC has a rather low temperature at which it will deform. 

It promotes a draft otherwise the exhaust gas would stagnate in the pipe.

Kind of like a wood stove with no draft the smoke won't go up the chimney. 

Well I had some pvc pipe and elbow laying around so I cranked up generator and stuck the pipe over exhaust and it made no difference in sound,thats when I realized it's not the exhaust thats so loud,its the actual generator motor itself so I'll just have to live with how loud it is,the genturi would do me no good{other than raising the gas up}

7 hours ago, linda s said:

I don't remember, have you checked it for exhaust, manifold leaks. They would make it louder. Or maybe this would fit. Your Kohler is a Tecumseh engine

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/TECUMSEH/Quiet-Mufflers

Linda S

Thanks Linda,I dont think thats the problem though,when you crawl underneath it just sounds like the noise is coming from the engine itself,but I will investigate further.