gringostar

Dish TV temporary?

Geeze poor Gringo, ask how to get dish temporary and gets a tv causes drain damage lecture.  Must be all that TV you guys watched as kids. B)

hey now, speak for yourself I offered a better alternative - free tv/movies (via roku or firestick with cellular internet which also provides access to this site.)

6 hours ago, Totem said:

yeah but you PAY for cable/sat? If I am going to invest my time I'd like to do it without having to suffer a Vote for "H***CENSORED" commercial. and I cannot escape that on any TV channel even on the air.

I'm not sure who you are replying too.  I don't pay anything for TV.  We have two big antennas. One VHF and one UHF and twin 30 dB preamps.  So I paid around $200 for the equipment once, about 10 years ago.  We get around 14 digital channels from the USA and another 6-7  digital channels from Canada.  We also get three analog channels from Michigan  and three analog channels from Canada. What we DO pay for is DVDs from Netflix. We are in the $12.71 per month club.  For that they send us two DVDs anytime we send two back.  We wind up getting 10-12 DVDs per month for $12.71. Pretty good deal.  We do not watch them when we get them,  I decode them, put them on our own DVDs, and send back the originals  right away.  We tend to get older TV series and binge watch, like an episode per night until we watch the whole deal.  No commercials.  We get a lot of HBO series this way but more often older stuff.  Like the entire series of Northern Exposure (one of our favorites).  Just got done watching 24 start to finish, and also Breaking Bad.  By the way, if any Feds are reading this - I am only kidding. I have no idea how to copy anyone's decrypted DVD, except of course, the ones I own.  

I use their streaming service $7.99 a month (grandfathered price). All i need is 3 mbps to get standard def. if i were in the up though i too would do the dvd thing prolly. 

Glad to hear no paying for the tube. 

Edited by Totem

I wish we could have a service that allowed streaming once in awhile.  We have never had good Internet access.  We started with dial-up that resulted in a non-local phone call that ran up charges.  Then we migrated to HughesNet dish that cost us $80 a month and was slow and very limited.  Then we got Millenicom  wireless for $70 per month with a 10GB cap.  Then they got bought by Verizon and we now have Verizon MiFi wireless for $80 per month and it is capped at 15 GB per month.  That includes our phone use, or Internet access.  It tends to work pretty good most places as long as we use a good antenna. We have a roof-top Yagi antenna at home for our Internet.  When we travel and camp - we use a portable antenna and a Wilson amplifier.  Oddly, we get a better 4GLTE signal when at our place in the UP near Eckerman, then at home near Rogers City at the northern end of the lower peninsula.

just a note; if you pay a monthly membership to netflix you get the streaming service free; you just need a device that can access it like a roku or netflix app etc.

inside of the netflix online account you can throttle the bandwidth which will downscale your definition as viewed; lower quality def only requires lessor internet speed and bandwidth usage (making it fit inside the cap of the mifi.)... might be a nice treat on a road trip.

check it out in your account.

On 5/24/2016 at 1:26 PM, Totem said:

I offered a better alternative - free tv/movies (via roku or firestick with cellular internet which also provides access to this site.)

I have heard nothing but good things about the Roku, I am looking into cellular internet TV as well. I don't watch TV, but then again I am not living in my rig ATM. Once I start, I would like to have as many choices of media as I can for the cheapest price. I have friends who swear by the Roku.

I get all my media from the internet plus netflix. I don't watch TV at all. I am thinking a $35-$50 dollar unlimited data plan w/tethering, no contract, is the best way to go. If one wants HBO...etc then adding the Roku would be the best option as it will run on the tethered hotspot.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

This is what Totem has suggested.

The only problem I can foresee is having no signal due to network boarders.

B

I've never been able to find any unlimited data plan for $35-$50 per month.  If available, where?   We pay around $80 per month for 15 GB through Verizon.  That 15GB is a shared account for our household Internet, devices, phones, etc.   I can't say I check every week to see if anything new is out. I know that when we got our Verizon MiFi 15 GB per month plan - it was the best there was available where we live or travel.   At that time Sprint and T-Mobil had unlimited plans but since neither work where I live, so it was kind of meaningless.  Presque Isle, Alpena, and Chippewa counties, northern Michigan.

Someone was here a few weeks ago with a "free" Obama phone.  It would not work at all. On the Sprint network I believe. 

2 hours ago, Berticus said:

Here is a link with some sound advice...

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/mobile-internet

The link to PdaNet+ was worth the look.

I still don't get it. That article is two years old, and in today's world, that might as well be 100 years.  I have Verizon wireless in two separate accounts. One is our home phone. NOT a cell-phone. It is a wireless homephone and we take it with us anywhere we go.  That is voice only and around $50 per month for unlimited calls anywhere in the USA and Canada.  We had to put up a roof-top antenna to make it work where we live in the summer.   Our Internet account is also Verizon, but started out as Millenicom.  Millenicom sold out to Verizon.   Data for Internet, home computers and portable devices, and cell phones.  At home this also requires a roof-top antenna.  On the road, a smaller antenna and sometimes our Wilson 4GLTE amp.  This is $80 per month and capped at 15 GB which is not much with three people using it. No way can we stream any TV and I've stopped at the Verizon sales office many times in hopes of finding an unlimited plan. So far, it has not  been available.  Maybe in other parts of the country - but not here.  As I said earlier, I could of gotten my first MiFi hotspot with Sprint and they DID offer unlimited.  Problem is, Sprint has no coverage where I live and is therefor kind of useless.

Image3.jpg

I don't think Verizon does new unlimited plans anymore. I've considered renting one of the Verizon unlimited plans you can get on eBay, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Some pretty comprehensive info here: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/resources/network-management-aka-throttling-practices-for-cellular-data-carriers/

Edited by Kale

Yeah ... unlimited doesn't mean unlimited... LOL I am still searching, but I agree, I think realistically I am going to pay $80-$100 bucks... which isn't a problem as the goal is decent internet/wifi/tethered hotspots in the machine.

1 hour ago, Berticus said:

Yeah ... unlimited doesn't mean unlimited... LOL I am still searching, but I agree, I think realistically I am going to pay $80-$100 bucks... which isn't a problem as the goal is decent internet/wifi/tethered hotspots in the machine.

Seems getting something that tends to work in areas you go is the key.  That is why I have Verizon.  In central NY and here in northern MI, Verizon has the best tower-coverage.  I find the Verizon wireless home-phone to be amazing and has worked in many places my MiFi (also Verizon) will not.  The wireless homephone is on a different frequency than the MiFi when in 4GLTE mode.  If I lived somewhere like Florida, I'd likely be using Sprint/Virgin Mobile.  I WILL say I am getting sick of buying signal amps and then having them become obsolete when the frequencies change. I am on my third amp now, for use with Verizon 4GLTE.
My new one is the Wilson WeBoost Drive 4G-M. Turns one bar into 3-4 bars.  We use it in the house and in the RV.

40 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

I WILL say I am getting sick of buying signal amps and then having them become obsolete when the frequencies change. I am on my third amp now, for use with Verizon 4GLTE.
My new one is the Wilson WeBoost Drive 4G-M. Turns one bar into 3-4 bars.  We use it in the house and in the RV.

Yup... I understand that is the case... but I have ta do what I do... I have read the Wilson's are a good purchase .
B

just get a signal strength booster device. they come in all frequency flavors and some boost all of them. as to unlimited plans I am sure one of the city 3rd party (not att or verizon, such as boost) may still have plans of unlimited.

Boost is essentially reselling Sprint, always good to check the fine print:

Unlimited Use Plans. Unlimited does not mean unreasonable. If you subscribe to rate plans, services or features that are described as “unlimited”, you should be aware that such unlimited plans are subject to the Prohibited Network Uses detailed below.  

Examples of Prohibited Data uses:  Boost data services are intended to be used for web surfing, sending and receiving email, photographs and other similar messaging activities, and the non-continuous streaming of videos, downloading of files or on line gaming.

Quality of Service Practices (QoS):  To help protect against the possibility that customers may occupy an unfair share of network resources, unlimited data plan customers who use more than 23GB of data during a payment cycle will be prioritized below other customers for the remainder of their payment cycle, in times and locations where the availability of network resources is constrained.

It might work for your uses, for me it doesn't hold up to my expectation of unlimited.

"non continuous" in this case means dont leave it on crackle where crackle just runs movies non stop back to back. Watching a movie should be fine. if you are watching 8 hours of movies, you are missing out on your campground and area anyway.

It just depends on your requirements. I'm a software developer, my usage is atypical.

If you're ok with Sprint and can qualify as a business Unlimitedville's business plan is worth considering too: http://www.unlimitedville.com/plans

3 hours ago, Totem said:

First of all , what the heck is "even satisfy JDE" mean?  Kind of an absurd comment.  Are there other people here who are satisfied with a plan that results in no connection? I don't think so.    As far as your link to Boost Mobile. I've been reading through their Website and so far have found nothing for any unlimited plan for Internet access.  Phone, music, and text, yes.  Also, do you know for sure they even have coverage in northern MI, top of the lower peninsula and the upper peninsula?  Sprint/Virgin Mobil does not.  What towers is Boost using?  You make sound as though it is simple and I suspect it is not.

It IS possible that you see a different Webpage then I do.  They are sometimes custom tailored to whatever region you are in.

3 hours ago, Totem said:

Boost's "unlimited" plan is capped at 8 GIG for wireless Internet, except for voice, text, and music streaming. Every extra GIG per month is $5. So to get 15 GIG like I have now, with Boost it costs $95 per month.  I am paying less now at $80.  Where is this unlimited wireless Internet with Boost that you found so "easy" at the price you mentioned?  Not on any of their Website that I can see.

By the way,  I am deep in the woods of the UP right now testing out my new Wilson 4GLTE amp.

46 minutes ago, Kale said:

It just depends on your requirements. I'm a software developer, my usage is atypical.

If you're ok with Sprint and can qualify as a business Unlimitedville's business plan is worth considering too: http://www.unlimitedville.com/plans

Sprint has no coverage at all in the places I use the most.

5 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

First of all , what the heck is "even satisfy JDE" mean?  Kind of an absurd comment.  Are there other people here who are satisfied with a plan that results in no connection? I don't think so.    As far as your link to Boost Mobile. I've been reading through their Website and so far have found nothing for any unlimited plan for Internet access.  Phone, music, and text, yes.  Also, do you know for sure they even have coverage in northern MI, top of the lower peninsula and the upper peninsula?  Sprint/Virgin Mobil does not.  What towers is Boost using?  You make sound as though it is simple and I suspect it is not.

It IS possible that you see a different Webpage then I do.  They are sometimes custom tailored to whatever region you are in.

well I am capable enough to look at their coverage map.. were you? Looked like it covered all of Michigan when i viewed it. ...also 4G LTE protocol rides on the same frequencies as the big dogs do. No voodoo or magic there jde; and if you get verizon I am assuming boost roaming has you covered on 4GLTE. Maybe of course, it does not but then the coverage map would seem pretty disingenuous.

But hey; if you are not satisfied or feel its "atypical" as Kale does thats fine. People struggle these days with the providers as much as the providers do with people. The reality is that cellular data is not meant to replace cable; but if you dont abuse it they should be ok with you streaming movies to a device; that's the entire point of the device. Now should you be streaming not stop all day every day ? no. but if thats what you are after then yeah PBS is probably a better solution.

3 hours ago, Totem said:

"Boom"???  Isn't it on ?\

1 minute ago, Totem said:

well I am capable enough to look at their coverage map.. were you? Looked like it covered all of Michigan when i viewed it. ...also 4G LTE protocol rides on the same frequencies as the big dogs do. No voodoo or magic there jde; and if you get verizon I am assuming boost roaming has you covered on 4GLTE. Maybe of course, it does not but then the coverage map would seem pretty disingenuous.

But hey; if you are not satisfied or feel its "atypical" as Kale does thats fine. People struggle these days with the providers as much as the providers do with people. The reality is that cellular data is not meant to replace cable; but if you dont abuse it they should be ok with you streaming movies to a device; that's the entire point of the device. Now should you be streaming not stop all day every day ? no. but if thats what you are after then yeah PBS is probably a better solution.

I don't know what the heck you are talking about.  I have tried to use Sprint for Net access at my main house and where we go in the UP. It does NOT work. Is there some aspect of that you fail to understand?  It does work fine in the city of Alpena where my in-laws live. Once I drive 40 miles to where I live - nothing with Sprint.  Verizon - yes.  Same here in the UP.